Megaman X3 music converted to Genesis

lazygecko

This is just a little fun idea I had of re-sequencing SNES SPC music as Genesis/MD YM2612 music. I've finished the introduction stage and Blast Hornet. I might do more later, or move on to other SNES games.

I used the VOPM VSTi, a 4op FM softsynth identical to the YM2612 chip, loaded with sound banks I ripped from various Genesis games, sampled the drums from Shinobi 3 and Mega Turrican. Used 3xOsc squarewaves and sampled white noise to simulate the 4 PSG channels.

http://www.speedyshare.com/437823320.html

http://www.speedyshare.com/194163169.html

Here are the originals for reference:

Okay, if you get a chance, definitely do the whole soundtrack. Someone else out there is working on an 8-bit version of the X soundtracks (they already did X1 and 2), and this would fit in nicely with that collection. Only problem I have with this is that it probably sounds better than an actual version of the soundtrack would sound on the Genesis.

Well, I wouldn't say it's not possible on the actual hardware. The only real touch-up is a bit of compression since VOPM is pretty quiet. They have 5 monophonic FM channels, 1 PCM sample channel and 4 PSG channels, which is precisely what the hardware specs allow. The sound is mostly inspired by Battle Mania Gaiginjou and

which have similiar quality. Most of the Genesis' best-sounding titles were real obscurities and this is why so many people think that it was inherently inferior to the SNES soundchip.

The unfortunate thing about these tunes is that they sound less like something Capcom whipped up and more like something Konami whipped up. (Blast Hornet's theme in particular reminds me of Contra: Hard Corps.) There's also definately a bit of Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master in there. Ultimately, despite questionable do-ability on real hardware, these things definately deliver. I could listen to these things all day...

Anyway, now that I've BERATED your work (;P), I'd like to make a request. How about the title theme? It shouldn't take too long, I wouldn't think.

WIP of Leaf Forest from Sonic Advance 2:

http://www.speedyshare.com/774975347.html

Slowed down the tempo and did some slight re-arrangement, toning down the electronica stuff and giving it a more classic style. Just imagine it's Sonic the Hedgehog 4 or something.

VOPM gets kinda volatile (ie, crashes randomly) when I have many instances of it, so for this I'm using a temporary solution of FM7 loaded with old Yamaha banks. I'll replace them with proper patches once it's done.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...