OCR01817 - Tales of Phantasia "Just Go"

djpretzel

One of my favorites from the SoS project, I'd consider this one of Justin's transition pieces, when he first emerged from his remixing cocoon. This is probably the mix that first started him onto a really cool sound, and it works really well. Drums get a little samey after awhile, though there are some excellent sections mixed in with the standard ones.

Cain has some awesome lead tone on this and really kicks it up, but no rhythm guitar makes the lead sound a little floating. We can blame Justin for that oversight.

Overall a great collab, and one that even got Fishy out of hibernation! WIN-WIN, IMO. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

The section from 0:33 to where the guitar first comes in sounds awesome. Also, speaking of guitar, I think this mix has a very good balance of guitar to other instrumentation. That is, you know when the guitar comes in, but it is not so overpowering that you lose the effect of what is going on the background.

Great work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Great combination of rock and orchestra. Synths used well and without detracting from the grand mood the mix has. By the time I reach the end, I'm thinking it went by so fast. It's not really short, but it feels that way. Didn't overstay its welcome, at least. :D

I keep confusing this with Go the Distance, tho. Must be the name.

• 3 years later...

Cool fusion sounds happening here. Definitely leaning more toward rock, but there's nothing wrong with that when it's rock done well. Orchestral accompaniment is pretty snazzy and even spread, and the little sonar beats were a small, but brilliant touch.

I like it when a blend of mixing styles is actually justified, and the bigger, brassy orchestral sounds really do compliment the more straightfoward guitar and drum rock. I don't know if I'd be too hot on each element on their own, but as a combo, I love it.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01817 - Tales of Phantasia "Just Go"