Korg DS-10

Overflow

I couldn't find the old thread.

I'm going to pick this up today, as it looks like a great way to write music on the go, and a good way to become experienced with synthesizers. But I was wondering what would be the best way to get the songs I make onto my computer? I could only think of recording them through the speakers or an amp, but I heard it might be possible to get a cord the plugs into the headphone jack and the other end is a microphone input, meaning I could directly record it. Would this actually work? I have a MacBook with a mic input.

Also, if anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I could only think of recording them through the speakers or an amp, but I heard it might be possible to get a cord the plugs into the headphone jack and the other end is a microphone input, meaning I could directly record it. Would this actually work? I have a MacBook with a mic input.

Yeah, it's called a 1/8" male to 1/8" male headphone cable.

hp%203m-2m%201.jpg

Available at just about any dollar store to any electronics store.

I have one sitting in my desk right now.

Yeah, it's called a 1/8" male to 1/8" male headphone cable.

hp%203m-2m%201.jpg

Available at just about any dollar store to any electronics store.

I have one sitting in my desk right now.

While you can physically connect the two devices to each other, I dunno if it's recommended (or even possible) to use the mic input as a line-in.

Also that picture looks like a 1/4" to 1/8"...

That's the easiest way I can think of, though you'd probably lose a lot of quality in the process.

I don't know if anyone has tried this, but I bet you could set up some kind of program to capture the data onto a device other than the DS wirelessly.

What I mean is this: DS-10 can connect to other DS-10s wirelessly to daisy-chain several of the synthesizers. This means that the data is being sent out in some form or another via WiFi. Theoretically, if one could set up their computer as one of those DS WiFi hotspots, AND had some kind of program to capture the raw data, AND had a program to convert the raw data back into Korg DS-10 form (probably by hacking the ROM), you could record the music from your HD. If someone pulls that off, it's probably as close to lossless audio as anyone's going to get.

That's the easiest way I can think of, though you'd probably lose a lot of quality in the process.

Actually I've done this numerous times, recorded from old Tape & MD player, from TV out' and of course from DS & PSP.

There is some loss inevitably, but using some wave editor, you can clean the noise, enhance the track & add filters.

One tip though: If you got a laptop, cut your external mic input ( not the line in) if you got one integrated into the frame, or the screen. This way you can avoid some of the extra static noise.

Actually I've done this numerous times, recorded from old Tape & MD player, from TV out' and of course from DS & PSP.

There is some loss inevitably, but using some wave editor, you can clean the noise, enhance the track & add filters.

One tip though: If you got a laptop, cut your external mic input ( not the line in) if you got one integrated into the frame, or the screen. This way you can avoid some of the extra static noise.

Umm, as long as your computer audio card is not balls, it should sound acceptable. I made a track with tons of recordings off of Electroplankton this way. If that mac mic input only operates as a mic input and not also as a line in, then you may be out of luck and you should search for a USB or Firewire audio interface.

However, the DS may not be outputting 16-bit 44.1 khz or better resolution sound (which is CD quality), so it may sound a bit aliased compared to normal synths. There isn't anything you can do about that, software or hardware.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, sorry if this is off topic, but I set up a spreadsheet for sharing ds-10 patches online.

Feel free to modify. Just switch over to the template sheet, copy, then paste at the bottom of the main page and fill it out. Knob positions are bascially all-the-way-left = 0, all-the-way-right = 10. You can split it into decimals if you wish, add notes about the sound, etc...

Have fun and go crazy.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pxcufckbxDD6fQRq4IGD8UA

Also, just for fun, here's a couple of live videos of me and my DS-10.

I couldn't find the old thread.

I'm going to pick this up today, as it looks like a great way to write music on the go, and a good way to become experienced with synthesizers. But I was wondering what would be the best way to get the songs I make onto my computer? I could only think of recording them through the speakers or an amp, but I heard it might be possible to get a cord the plugs into the headphone jack and the other end is a microphone input, meaning I could directly record it. Would this actually work? I have a MacBook with a mic input.

Also, if anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

I've plugged a chord straight from the DS into my line in on my Mac Pro, it works fine.

All of the inputs on a MacBook are Line In inputs (not mic inputs).

Audacity does a good job of recording and you can add necessary effects (ex: gain if it's not loud enough).