SMB medley (Big Band-ish)

Nase

I hear ya, I have a different version that goes somewhere else near the end, but I had been working on the whole thing for 7 hours straight and found it easier to wrap it up this way for now. I don't think the ending is too bad right now, but maybe I'll try furtherly developing the other route (more bombastic) tomorrow.

Hey, this is new!

This is a great genre for Mario music. You have tied together quite a few sources here, which is great, especially since they don't detract from one another. You also managed to keep it from sounding like a medley. I like the hyper factor around 2:40.

Nice work! Updates?

Awesome! Only the ending was a bit of a joy kill when it ended abruptly, but it's a WIP anyways. Was hoping for more after that.

Try to bring down the levels. It's clipping.

There shouldnt be any clipping...the bass patch has a lot of string buzz though when played at high velocity, and that sounds a little bit like clipping at places I guess. If it's not that, please tell me where you hear definite clipping noise.

Right now I find the bass pretty muddy at times though. Which is weird, never minded it before.

Well, I'm pretty much done with this one arrangement wise, only fixed some off sounding stuff in the guitar track. And a better ending to come, maybe. But I won't make a 5 minute giga medley out of it, I think that'd get really boring after a while.

Plus I'm not motivated to work on it atm because you can only listen to Dixieland type stuff for so long :P

Download audacity or check the monitor in your DAW. You should make sure it doesn't hit 0 dBFS even if you can't hear the distortion.

Aw I was hoping for more lol. This is the best medley arrangement I've heard so far. Very good transitions. It got energetic at the end, but it ended so soon. I wouldn't mind 5 min of fun. It's so addicting :razz: Maybe add the athletic rags from both SMW 1 and 2?

My thoughts:

0:00-0:30 - There are lots of parts where there is too much going on. Too many interjections. Upon second listen, they are a bit more clear, but still, a lot of stuff happening and can't focus on what I'm supposed to. (Also there was that bit where the was no melody for a while, when it was just guitar and bass. It struck my ear as slightly odd.)

0:30-0:45 - Love your piano work. However, it gets a little quiet at times compared to the background. I had trouble hearing every note.

0:45-1:05 - Fun stuff. Liked the End Level Fanfare tossed in there.

1:05 - That clip from the actual game... Eh, I didn't like it, but it's just a matter of taste.

1:07-1:34 - More good piano work, but gets buried behind the brass interjections, drums, bass, etc.

1:48-2:15 - The sudden change was a little rough for me. Especially since you dropped a lot of elements of what you built on upon before. In other words... It didn't feel like the song I was listening to a minute ago.

2:15 to End: It was fine end for me. I think you can keep it just fine. But I see you're going to change it, so... Nothing to say here. Fun section.

Overall, it's a very fun song. Just minor things here and there. I like your take on the song, and I love your piano writing. Good work.

Download audacity or check the monitor in your DAW. You should make sure it doesn't hit 0 dBFS even if you can't hear the distortion.

Yeah It's all limited. That's why I'm suggesting the clipping you hear might be something else.

Oh yeah, I thought about the athletic track! But truth be told, I could just midirip that one and put it in there, and it'd fit perfectly. Bit too easy. I could change it up, but I think the mix has enough upbeat tunes in there for now. If anything I'd tone it down more (The underground section is my favorite).

0:00-0:30 - There are lots of parts where there is too much going on. Too many interjections. Upon second listen, they are a bit more clear, but still, a lot of stuff happening and can't focus on what I'm supposed to. (Also there was that bit where the was no melody for a while, when it was just guitar and bass. It struck my ear as slightly odd.)

Heh, matter of taste. I think the intro sounds fake and overly frantic, but I really like it :)

I killed the melody at some parts because I'm a bit more fond of the guitar/bass arrangement, actually ;) The piano is mostly there to doodle away at the melodies, and I didn't do a whole lot to them most of the time.

the 1:05 chiptune bit is actually the only quick way i found to go back to double speed...I had a pretty long transition written but it wouldn't work!

1:48 is definitely abrupt, but I don't know, I'm in medley mode by then, I can live with it. Heh, maybe a little piano reprise of the last SMB2 bit could work.

Appreciated man! This one just happens to be a mix I'm pretty happy with arrangement wise. Maybe I shouldn't even have posted this one as a consequence or just asked you guys about mixing issues, but hey, if it won't work for OCR you'll at least have heard it :)

Also, if several people agree on certain arrangement issues it's still worth considering, even to just learn something about people's taste. So you're not wasting your words at all.

I'm really not a fan of the "loudness wars" that's happening today with modern music with the overdose of compression and limiting. Dynamic range becomes much narrowed. Just saying exceeding 0 dBFS is not a good thing. I'm seeing a brickwall. It won't be accepted by OCR standards.

Maybe I shouldn't even have posted this one as a consequence or just asked you guys about mixing issues,

Believe me, this is what I felt when I put my first song up here. I didn't say too much about "arrangement" per se. Just the switch to the underground theme and the intro. Don't get me wrong, I love what you did and I really enjoyed the sources you used. (Not enough love for Super Mario Land here)

I'd download the song and keep it (i do that often here in the WIP forum), but you say you're going to update. You better keep true to your promise.

I didn't say too much about "arrangement" per se. Just the switch to the underground theme and the intro.

That'd be arrangement issues :)

What I was trying to say is that it's easy to sound like 'I don't want your criticism' when there are some criticized aspects about a tune that I do like for whatever reason. My disagreement isn't defensive at all, you're free to hate the whole tune with every fibre of your body, but I already got that you rather like it :)

It'd be an option to just shut up and read the untainted impressions people get, but I felt like writing something to explain my choices, s'all.

I toned down the volume by 15% for testers. Feels like it gained a little bit of clarity. You judge.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5hemgykmtxz

Also did a pretty quick edit with just drums, bass, guitar and piano. Just a bit of fun, highlights the rhythm section nicely too.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2qzb2tmwnzq

I really do love what you've done here, its definitely a nice take on the themes used. I think the clipping is just the bass drum being too loud, if you turned that down a little and just maybe messed with the EQ slightly (so you don't lose the power) would sound awesome.

As for the transition to the underground theme, maybe a quick pause then the sound effect of going down the pipe might make the transition a little more fluid. The bass isn't too shabby, maybe with the bass drum lowered in volume you wouldn't get that slightly static/clipping sound.

Overall though, i think maybe the instruments are still too loud. Are you running a compressor on the track? If not, try using one on the whole track and using an EQ on the whole track to really bring out the highs and lows better.

All in all, i like the overall tone of this. Especially the underground theme, the big band sound really come out in this. Keep up the good work, its well on its way.

Ieek, that's what happens when you mix just with headphones. The bass is totally overpowered in the barebone version.

About the normal version:

The bass drum really isn't that loud. The most peaking drum sound is definitely the snare. I've been wondering if it's too overpowering at times.

But I really don't hear any clipping. I didn't hear any when it was louder, but reducing the volume was probably a good idea for clarity's sake. Oh wait, I hear one or two pops, but they don't happen when it's really loud. Seems to be a rendering error.

If you seem to hear clipping or static or however you call it, could you specify where it's the most apparent? I hear a pop at 1:33, right after a pretty loud peak. That's it for me.

The pipe sound fx thing might work. Bit cheesy/overdone, but maybe I can mimic it with a real instrument :)

Heh, I edited my post while you wrote yours. It's actually just the small combo version that has the way overpowering bass. Confuusion :P

I just noticed something else though. The lower guitar notes are conflicting with the bass at times and cause muddyness. I won't upload a new version just for that though. I'll have another look at the arrangement and the next upload will probably be pretty much final.

If you seem to hear clipping or static or however you call it, could you specify where it's the most apparent?

You don't have to ask this. To minimize this risk just make sure the tracks don't exceed 0 dBFS then there won't be any static/clipping/distortion/pops/clicks to worry about because all that is caused when the soundwave exceeds 0 dBFS. The reason you can't hear the clipping, distortion, or flaws is because the notes only last for a few milliseconds (since this piece is very fast) thus the clips only last a few milliseconds. ei. people can't discern a snare crack that is clipped and unclipped because it happens very quickly, and is a non-pitched instrument. However, even if you don't hear it, it's there. Just don't take the risk and assume the production will be fine.

I listen to the-supposedly-loud music at around -6 dBFS. Accented areas (ei snare cracks) can go up to -9 dBFS to 0 dBFS. The main song however should not hang around or near 0 dBFS. If it does that, you get what is called a "brickwall." OCR does not accept this.

I listen to the-supposedly-loud music at around -6 dBFS. Accented areas (ei snare cracks) can go up to -9 dBFS to 0 dBFS. The main song however should not hang around or near 0 dBFS. If it does that, you get what is called a "brickwall." OCR does not accept this.

I'd say that'd depend very much on the style. Even though it might be questionable to squash everything to the limit, it's done in commercial music all the time, so I don't see why OCR wouldn't accept a brickwalled mix per se, even though the listening experience might be exhausting. Shit, listen to Beatdrop mixes :D

I always thought the term 'clipping' was reserved for actually going past 0dB and the resulting distortion, btw. Not the brickwall sound. So that caused some confusion for me.

Anyway, I just never bothered with analyzing waveforms and just go by the 'sounds good to me' formula. Still, I went down another 5% in volume and checked it with a dBmeter now, and it doesn't look like a brickwall to me. It loosely hovers around -6, the brass stabs and swells being a little louder.

I'm sure it's not the audiophile jazz recording standard either, but it seems like a good enough compromise between loudness and clarity.

If it still hurts your ears, sorry for that in advance :)

Blad, ol chap!! So you're still around...I take it LAOS' many assassination attempts have ultimately failed :o

Wow, this is a fantastic song, I love the style and arrangement. It works very well. My only complaint is that the low end seems a little muddy. The double bass takes up a lot of that space, but I wouldn't take away from that, I'd just take a tiny bit of low end off of some of the other instruments that come near it. Maybe the low end is too compressed? I'm not entirely sure how to fix it, and it's really just a nitpick, it's hardly a major flaw. This is wonderful to listen to. Good job!