So the Touhou 12 Demo came out...

Schwaltzvald

a while back and while there some new stuff added to the game play (ufos for extra points) one thing from the game demo blew my god damned mind. Third stage of the game gave a whole new meaning to me to the term bro-fist.

I did not expect it to happen.

The vid

shows what I'm talking about...

My first reaction to it when i saw it was "WHAT THE SHIT!? BULLSHIT!!"

makes me wonder how the full game will be... :lol:

...and some people think resident evil 4 is hard... jezus! This game can only be won by robots!

If you time your bomb use right in certain situations this along with many past titles of the series allow you to emerge unscathed. However there an incentive to getting through it all without any bomb use (bombless runs). Mainly its a higher score, but also in more later titles it's capturing spell cards.

The brofists however make me both laugh and rage. :lol:

One thing that irritates me about games like this is that the graphic for the ship doesn't represent the actual hitbox. Why? Why not make the whole ship smaller to fit the hitbox?

That would make things too easy :lol:

Although recently a fan-made graphical update for EoSD (TH06) includes the option of having a visible hit box. In fact (TH06) is the only game in the Touhou series that didn't have a hit box being visible at all. In the later games after TH06, when you used focused fire, you would see the hitbox on your character.

Example - in this video if you pay close attention to the character being used and utilizes focus fire, you can see the hitbox being displayed.

Regardless, even if you were to have the hitbox displayed constantly, that doesn't stop the games having an, imo, "enjoyable difficulty" throughout the game. It's emphasized that you graze the enemy's bullets and attacks. You also earn more points when you dodge and graze the bullets without using the hitbox display.

There are some times where in fact the main goal of certain attack is that you must outlast the timer of the spell card and simply survive it till it runs down.

The one thing disappointing about the series is that generally, none of it is "officially", to my knowledge at least, translated/ported to any other language. Thus fans of the series have made "patches" and "updates" to the games that change the Japanese dialogues/text into English. A shop online sells the games for about $20 each, though EoSD sells for $16 seeing as it's the first of the series to be playable on a Windows platform.

On a different note - My current challenge is to complete stage 5 on lunatic mode in "Imperishable Night" with no bomb use or focus fire using all the playable characters.

Fuck, I can't finish the scarlet devil on anything but the easiest difficulty...

Make a search for the graphical update patch and put in the hitbox option. Beaten the game myself on hard mode but not lunatic mode yet.

It's only as difficult as you make it so long as you don't have the patience.

I used to get frustrated on Extra mode on EoSD but that's changed since then. Still many challenges I've yet to complete.

beating this guy's run by not using focus fire is one of them damn it.

Hahaha, BROFISTS.

...................__

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')

.........\.................'...../

..........''...\.......... _.·´

............\..............(

Seriously though, you'd think that by now ZUN would buy some better samples with all the money he's getting from pedos.

I suppose I'm the only one that was surprised by the bro-fists. :lol:

I'm definately adding the latest one to the set soon as it comes out :)!!

No, you're not the only one ^^'''

However, I don't think I like a lot the UFO system, because in a bullet hell, choosing 3 flying saucers of the same color or the 3 different ones is too much while we are avoiding hundreds of bullets on the screen (IMO).

Maybe ZUN added that in order to disturb people who learn each pattern, each moment in the game and so could clear hardest modes...

But I'm not at their level :P

No, you're not the only one ^^'''

However, I don't think I like a lot the UFO system, because in a bullet hell, choosing 3 flying saucers of the same color or the 3 different ones is too much while we are avoiding hundreds of bullets on the screen (IMO).

I see it as another way to beat seemingly difficult bullet hell moments by utilizing the ufo system. Once you've succeeded in collecting the required 3 which ever way, it takes away a lot of bullets from the screen all the while rewarding you.

I see it as another way to beat seemingly difficult bullet hell moments by utilizing the ufo system. Once you've succeeded in collecting the required 3 which ever way, it takes away a lot of bullets from the screen all the while rewarding you.

Oh yes, you're right !!!

I forgot that ! :oops:

Well let's see this summer how the full game will be, I can't wait to fight against the "successor" of the Nuclear Girl (SA)!!!

(and hopefully, this time, bombs used don't change the attack power)

Oh yes, you're right !!!

I forgot that ! :oops:

(and hopefully, this time, bombs used don't change the attack power)

The way bombs are collected are just like back in the th06-08 series in that you just collect them. However I assume you can only actually collect them from the ufo's. As I tried again earlier when I've completed a couple of ufo collections I had about 4 or 5 bombs at the ready.

basically bombs don't use ur actual strength, as they act just like in the older titles pre th10

basically bombs don't use ur actual strength, as they act just like in the older titles pre th10

Reading that makes me nostalgic...

You know, the first Touhou game I've played is Perfect Cherry Blossom.

'Shmup' fan for more than 20 years, I've realized I didn't know the bullet hell system well, more used with R-Type/Paro-Gradius/Darius/old NeoGeo shmups series, or maybe Raiden is a bullet hell ? Well it seems different for me.

I played after Imperishable Night, my favourite one (the final battle VS Kaguya is awesome with the piano theme and the moon on the screen), and so on, downloading (and also buying on paletweb) all games including the three 'x.5' ones.

I remember TH8-IN where we could 'continue' where we die, not at the beginning of the level. It was great because it's since frustrating to reach the boss after losing lifes during the level, again and again >_<...

Other point : the music.

I like Cirno theme, well many boss themes (and some from levels) in touhou games before 10. (the two street fighter games musics (7.5 and 10.5) are the BEST imo but there are not from ZUN, am I right ?)

Mountain of Faith is not bad either, there is a good work (ZUN used weird sound sometimes, it's getting better).

But I forgot Subterranean Animism tracks, oh maybe the greensleeves-like one hit me ^^

And now, about UFO, the first level theme seems to be a li'l nostalgic, and the mouse-girl boss one is also cool. But after, it's... so so. not bad, not good, I miss the catching tracks against Alice or... miss bunny the one in my sig (forgot the name xD))

You know, Schwaltzvald, maybe you'll find this stupid, but I'm better when I like the track played. During Kaguya fight in TH8, or Suika one in TH7.5, I was like INTO the music, and so... as Neo in Matrix, the game suddenly seems easier.

Hum, sorry for the big post, thanks to OCR I can practice my english :)

I can understand some fans wanting ZUN to use better music samples and such; but I have to disagree. So long as the instruments being used actually sound okay, even if midi-ish, it leaves the actual track open for many possibilities for remixes or awesome covers.

Exhibit A - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdTP5lImb-I

Exhibit B -

Somewhat of topic, but that just shows what possibilities there are with ZUN's music. Just like how there's tons of fan art that look better than what he's drawn. I'd rather have it be somewhat rough on the edges and see what other people can do with it. All the more reason that I'm looking forward to the new game.

I know I know, I have maybe 22 Go of touhou music, (just got a big torrent file with a lot inside).

When I work on my writings, I listen to that huge flow of music, and even if there is good and bad stuff, there are so many genres that everybody can find what he likes.

(click on my sig, there are some of the image albums)

I love Wave, Elementas, dbu, golden city factory, etc etc etc...

And I LOVE your youtube links =D

So I understand you, the only thing is when we have to play many times the same level, if the music is addictive, it's better !

And please D:man, don't put this heads character thing on my screen >_<

It's really AWFUL !!!

(EDIT oh gno 641 posts I wanted to stop at 640, 64 is MY number T_T)

To those unaware its the yukkuris, basically they're an attempted Shift_JIS portraits of the two major characters of the series gone horribly wrong. The joke's gone so far as to create a pseudo-national geographic explanation of them involving various explanations of their existance ect...

I don't mind them as they're just part of the weirdness of fans out there. :lol: