The Lost Albums

RealFolkBlues

Hey guys, haven't posted in a while, but I had an idea on something I think OCR might know plenty about.

As I was assembling my bed yesterday, I decided to listen to some music. Going through my girlfriend's CDs, I happened upon Chumbawumba's "Tubthumper." Most people will be familiar with this album's breakout single "I Get Knocked Down." From my hazy memories of middle school I dredged up a recollection of someone telling me that the CD itself was actually quite good. At the time, I definitely had my doubts about the album.

Sure enough, it's surprisingly intelligent and well made. The single isn't musically a radical departure from the rest of the album, but the rest of the songs deal with issues as diverse and incisive as class division, domestic violence, and the homeless.

So, OCR, I ask you, what great albums have gotten "lost" under the weight of their singles?

Blur - Blur

Primarily because most people know this group from their single Song 2 (I like some of their other albums better and this is slightly biased considering their one of my favorite bands)

CAKE - Prolonging the Magic

The lead single "Never There" is one of the best tracks off of the album, but the rest is just so good too, one of my favs. This album can also be substituted with CAKE's Fashion Nugget because "The Distance" overshadowed the whole thing as well.

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

The entire album was fantastic but all most people have from it is "Crazy"

I second Luke. Also...

Aquabats, The - The Fury Of The Aquabats (single: Super Rad)

Days Of The New - Days Of The New (2; Green) (single: Enemy)

Local H - Here Comes The Zoo (single: Half Life)

Monster Magnet - Powertrip (single: Space Lord)

Smiths, The - Meat Is Murder (single: How Soon Is Now?)

Stereo MC's - Connected (single: Connected)

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

The entire album was fantastic but all most people have from it is "Crazy"

i agree with this. i hate most hip-hop but i enjoyed the album. i still quote the title song occasionally.

i'd stick in lostprophets' album start something. i love every song on that album. singles that you know from it would be either "i don't know" (which is one of my all-time favorites) and "last train home" (which really isn't as good as the rest of the album). i also enjoyed finger eleven's self-titled debut album (you know "one thing", which doesn't sound ANYTHING like the rest of the album).

Evanescence's The Open Door - known best, perhaps, for "Call me When You're Sober" while the rest of the album has a very different, more personal feel than the radio-friendly single.

Seal's Seal II [1994] - all you may know from it is "Kiss From a Rose" but the rest of the album is an incredible amalgam of musical styles and poignant lyrics.

Big Country's The Crossing - my favorite album (and band) of all time. The only song which made it States-side of the Atlantic was "In a Big Country" (some of you 80s buffs may recognize it).

Good thread, RealFolkBlues.

Anso, don't kill the thread...

more:

10,000 Maniacs - Our Time In Eden (single: These Are Days)

Cardigans, The - Gran Turismo (single: My Favourite Game)

Eels - Daisies Of The Galaxy (single [well-known via Shrek, anyway]: Mr. E's Beautiful Blues)

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking (single: Jane Says)

Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The - Pay Attention (single: So Sad To Say)

EDIT: I have to un-agree with Luke now that I realize that The Real Thing reached 11 in the billboards... not exactly 'lost'.

Just wait until you read THIS:

Creed - Human Clay (single: Higher)

I heard the whole album once. While I wouldn't buy it myself, it was pretty good.

Some of mine are:

Eiffel 65 - Europop (single: "Blue")

(AkumajoBelmont agrees with me on this)

Bloodhound Gang - Hooray for Boobies (single: "The Bad Touch")

(sophomoric, of course, but pretty funny and even witty)

Smashmouth - Fush Yu Mang (single: "Walking on the Sun")

(while not necessarily a stellar album, merely good, it's noticable because every single other song on the album is punk)

Personally, I think the real test of an album is if you like the non-singles more than the singles.

Edit: RealFolkBlues: the name of the Chumbawumba song was "Tubthumping." :<

Eiffel 65 - Europop (single: "Blue")

(AkumajoBelmont agrees with me on this)

DAMMIT someone beat me to it. Definitely true story.

and I'm sure everyone will be like LOLpopularmusic but

Usher: "Here I Stand" (single: Love In This Club) I love it love it love it. Great to listen to.

Shaggy - Hotshot. Of course, my rooommates tell me Shaggy hasn't been cool since 1998, but I still really enjoy the album. The single Dance & Shout is great, but so is everything else.

Muse - Absolution. This is one of my favorite albums of all time, because no one song really overpowers the rest. Not even sure which ones from here were the singles, but this album is great.

Tool - Every album. It takes a certain type to really appreciate these guys (you have to have the patience for math metal), but it is so worth it.

Sort of sad how many of these albums I own and haven't listened to in years. In the late 90's I started picking up albums whenever they had even one song I liked. Thank God for the days of youtube and iTunes now.

Smashmouth - Fush Yu Mang (single: "Walking on the Sun")

(while not necessarily a stellar album, merely good, it's noticable because every single other song on the album is punk)

Yeah, I have the Smash Mouth album and I was really surprised hearing it when I first got it. I do think it's not bad, but it was totally not what I was expecting.

Tubthumper has a few really catchy songs outside of the big single. "Amnesia" is pretty awesome, I think it was a single too.

I'll offer up Third Eye Blind's first album as a lost one. They're what I like to call a one-album wonder - had a few big hits off the first album, one minor hit off the second album, and then nothing. People only remember the hits. Their first album is pretty good though (and you can probably find it used pretty easily), and a handful of the album tracks match the quality of the singles.

Just wait until you read THIS:

Creed - Human Clay (single: Higher)

if someone would go through all of creed's music and simply replace stapp's voice with neat sounding synths, it would be some amazing music

hint hint go google up the a cappellas and make me want to be your best friend

If we're going across albums then I want to mention Devo - Q: Are We Human A: We Are Devo!!, because that album is damn near brilliant but largely unrecognized, probably because "Whip It" isn't on it.

I wouldn't call this a lost album because it's fairly critically acclaimed nowadays, but it definitely deserves as many fans as "Whip It". :)