The Lost Albums

RealFolkBlues

I'd say Weezer's Green Album AND Maladriot. I vividly remember playing DK64 with the Green Album for some reason. I really liked that album, it's not their best, but a good album to come back with.

Maladriot, I had a love hate relationship with. I disliked it at first, but after some time, I grew to like it (just like My Morning Jacket's "It Still Moves" album, at least with me). Weezer definitely was trying to do something a little more hard (KISS is one of River Cuomo's favorite bands), and it's actually a good album. Burndt Jamb was one of my favorites, besides Keep Fishing.

I hated that a lot of people panned Maladriot, I still enjoy playing it every now and then.

I would say Pinkerton is a "Lost" album, but it has gained such a huge cult following, and is widely regarded as Weezer's finest hour, that I don't think it'd count.

Oh, can I add the Batman Forever CD? It had some good spots in it (U2, Offspring, The Flaming Lips).

Yeah but initially it wasn't and its rarely seen on "Best CDs of the 80s" lists, and most people are only familiar with Devo as "that band that does 'Whip It'"

Right, but Q/A didn't have a recognizable single whereas Freedom Of Choice did. So FoC is the only real contender if a popular single is a requirement; but FoC charted rather highly, so I wouldn't count it either. It's not a bad album but, like The Real Thing, it's not on-topic. Not that I agree with every album that's been posted here, but we should at least try to keep the rails in sight.

If anyone's wondering, I'm getting my chart info and such from AMG. It's essential, really.

Björk's Post---known for "It's Oh So Quiet." i still don't know how that song trumps something like "Modern Things" which is a really terrific song.

Jamie Cullum's Twentysomething, known briefly for its title track. i didn't know it when I bought the album, but pretty much every song on here has just so much heart and music in it. I love his cover of Radiohead's "High & Dry" and his song "All at Sea."

I'd say Weezer's Green Album AND Maladriot. I vividly remember playing DK64 with the Green Album for some reason.

Speaking of strong music-to-game memories, I remember listening to Beastie Boy's "Hello Nasty" while playing Link's Awakening. The two still go together in my head.

Call of the West - Wall of Voodoo (Single: Mexican Radio)

Fun 80s pop sensibility, buried under an avalanche of silly.

El Oso - Soul Coughing (Single: Rolling)

Bizare stuff, kind of poppish.. avante-garde surrealism.

In Sides - Orbital (Single: The Box (part 2))

Wonderful electronical with leanings in the ambient direction.

Seconded on the Days of the New album, though I liked the first one better.

And a bonus album that didn't have a big hit single, but just was overlooked in general:

Songs for Dustmites - Steve Burns

Yeah, the guy from Blue's Clues. This is a fantastic indie-pop/rock album.

311 - Transistor - A really underrated and often misunderstood band with an extremely underrated album. Transistor is a very psychedelic blend of reggae, rock, hip hop, jazz, funk and eastern music that was drowned under the success of their self-titled album. And it has 21 songs too. Words can't do it justice though.

Sponge - Rotting Pinata - An odd grunge album with thick, emotional, hard rocking songs. The lyrics to this album are emignatic but some are tear-jerking, yet it lacks the crying-in-my-sister's-pants bullshit of today's emo bullshit albums. It's an emotional album but very masculine at the same time.

Spacehog - Resident Alien - An excellent, uplifting space-themed record by a British band who ripped off David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and did it so well that it made me skip out of a party just so I could listen to it some more. Every song is solid and the album has an excellent flow. Very unique sound too, even though it is distinctly British.

Oh, props for mentioning Days of the New. I respect their uniqueness and songwriting.

Also, like a few of you already said - Smash Mouth made some good, enjoyable music. A lot of people called me a dick for buying their first two albums, but now most of us long for the good ol' days when "happy" and "rockin" weren't mutually exclusive.

Cardigans, The - Gran Turismo (single: My Favourite Game)
Oh, can I add the Batman Forever CD? It had some good spots in it (U2, Offspring, The Flaming Lips).
Hah, I was considering mentioning both of these. I was given both of those when I was younger (9 or 10 years old), and didn't really appreciate them until I relistened to them in the past two or three years. I really like that Cardigans album in particular.

Any album from Eiffel 65 after Europop. Awesome euro stuff... their 3rd album has shades of Gigi d'Agostino. When they turned into Bloom 06, they got even more awesome.

Eiffel 65 - Brightly Shines

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqo2GfkYWUc

Bloom 06 - Welcome to the Zoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w5T0ISWuA

I agree with Chumbawamba. The song they had on the Stigmata soundtrack was awesomeness.

Call of the West - Wall of Voodoo (Single: Mexican Radio)

Fun 80s pop sensibility, buried under an avalanche of silly.

VERY much agree'd

Any album from Eiffel 65 after Europop. Awesome euro stuff... their 3rd album has shades of Gigi d'Agostino. When they turned into Bloom 06, they got even more awesome.

Wow, never heard of Bloom 06. You made my future!

I agree with Chumbawamba. The song they had on the Stigmata soundtrack was awesomeness.

Agreed. "Tu Credi (the complete opera)" is favorite of mine

Haven't looked into Bloom 06. I just vaguely remember hearing about that whole schtick. I'll have to look into it.

And Mary Mary (Stigmatic Mix) is freaking awesome. The only Chumbawamba song I have.

Got some good suggestions going on here. I like it.

Cake is an excellent example of this thread; "Comfort Eagle" is amongst my favorite albums of all time, but a lot of people don't know it because "The Distance" was so overplayed. Good song, but not as good as the rest of that CD.

I think Ben Folds is eternally doing this; "Brick" was a good song, but not as good as the whole of his work on the Ben Folds Five CD "Whatever, ever, and Amen." The same applies to his solo album "Rocking the Suburbs;" the title track was pretty popular, but that CD sits proudly in my top ten of all time, as does Ben Folds himself in my top ten artists.

I think Ben Folds is eternally doing this; "Brick" was a good song, but not as good as the whole of his work on the Ben Folds Five CD "Whatever, ever, and Amen." The same applies to his solo album "Rocking the Suburbs;" the title track was pretty popular, but that CD sits proudly in my top ten of all time, as does Ben Folds himself in my top ten artists.

Yes, I agree with Ben Folds Five's Whatever and Ever Amen. That's one of my favorite albums of all time; I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner. "The Battle of Who Could Care Less" got some airplay off that album too, I remember.

I haven't heard his solo albums apart from the singles; I'll check them out!

Was it Cake's Comfort Eagle that had the cover of "I will Survive" on it?

If you are a rock fan, and do not have Failure - Fantastic Planet in your collection, you are not worthy. They did have a semi hit with Stuck On You off that album, but in terms of quality, that song, while catchy, doesn't really represent the album at all. Its actually one of the few albums that I can listen to all the way through too and not skip a single song, and considering its a 17 track cd, that shows a lot. But I'm a huge Failure fanboy anyway.

I'm a big fan of Cake- their albums are all quite solid from start to finish. It's too bad they're mostly only recognised for The Distance, Short Skirt/Long Jacket and Sheep Go to Heaven.

Pendulum's album Hold Your Colour is also a great example. Slam overshadowed some really great tracks. And then the re-release replaced perhaps the two best songs on the album with two of sheer mediocrity. :(