SID Player for iPhone/iPod Touch released - tons of C64 chiptunes available on the go!

Level 99

I was looking for ways to get chiptunes on the go as opposed to the task of converting them all to mp3 (let's face it - chiptunes are small and mp3s are big, plus there's time and effort involved :tomatoface:), when I stumbled upon an article stating the release of a SID player app for the iPhone and iPod touch. I may not have been that familiar with the C64's awesome chiptunes library before, but now I can't stop listening to them.

According to the developer's website:

"Sid Player Lite brings you the sound of the Commodore C64 to your iPhone and the iPod Touch. Enjoy game classics such as 'Commando', 'Arkanoid', 'The last V8' or listen to the music of 'Rob Hubbard', 'Martin Galway', and many others.

Sid Player gives you access to an excerpt of the High Voltage Sid Collection (HVSC) consisting of over 35.000 songs from 1138 authors. Thanks to the unique sound aesthetics, Sid music is now considered an art of its own and there's a constant flow of new creations.

A Sid file occupies only few kbytes, thus you can quickly download C64 music via EDGE or UMTS and listen for hours. The search function enables you to find your favourites in a blink."

Unfortunately, the app itself is not free ($2.99 when I bought it) but honestly, I definitely feel it was worth it.

I'm not sure what it's based on entirely, and I'm too lazy to check right now. It also has an option to download the entire HVSC to the phone for offline play, which is pretty f-ing sweet. I've found a few more tunes that don't play properly in the player, but again, with the sheer amount of track choices, I'm not really complaining.

I had this hooked up to the car stereo over the weekend. I pulled up at a stop light next to a typical "street" car modded civic. The other driver was blasting some god-knows-what rap, and I just turned up my track of BMX Kids and smiled. :nicework: