Gamer Shame

glasfen

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? I remember that...traded it for Advance Wars Dual Strike over on GameTZ or something...at least I THINK that's what happened to it. Also, as horrid as the voice acting in Resident Evil Director's Cut, I have to admit it's one of the reasons I'll probably never get rid of that game. :-P

"Thou shalt not fling thy controller across the room, no matter how frustratingly difficult thy game might be"

I have a friend who's gone through a headset and a mouse in the last few months violating that one. In fact, I started playing through Mario World with my fiancee again last night and violated it when I made a stupid mistake at the start of a level and died. It was nothing major, but I won't repeat what it was because frankly it's embarrassing for someone who's played the game an untold number of times in the last 16 years. I also did it a lot the last time I made a run at Mario the Lost Levels. That has to be one of the hardest fucking games ever made while still being beatable.

Forgive me Father Baer, for I have sinned....

I. Thou shalt not cheat.

Heh, too many to count.

II. Thou shalt not use player's guides or walkthroughs except as a last resort.

Bought Chaos Legion and the strategy guide (honestly because I wanted the poster inside) but temptation got the best of me and I ended up pretty much studying the damn thing by level 4.

III. Thou shalt not disrespect the system of another while secretly desiring it.

Actually I don't think I've ever done this. I don't get too fanboy-ish really.

IV. Thou shalt not play for someone who is taking a bathroom break.

Not so much play as kill them off....

Halo 3 is my main offense of this

V. Thou shalt not steal lives or items in a two-player game.

I honestly try not to but instinct just tells me to grab it before its too late. Especially on levels where you can't control the scrolling.

VI. Thou shalt finish each game that thee starteth.

Oh man, just take a look at my Backloggery. Top Gun, Oblivion, Ace Combat, Half-Life 2.....

VII. Thou shalt not fling thy controller across the room, no matter how frustratingly difficult thy game might be.

Ninja Gaiden on XBox was the only game that I really got frustrated enough with to even contemplate this. But every time I'd wind up and prepare to launch the controller into the TV, I'd remember the $35 floating away and the $200 TV in a dumpster. That image was usually enough to stop me.

VIII. Thou shalt watch quietly as others attempt the most simple and mundane levels, battles, or puzzles and not shout out the obvious method of completing them.

I have to bite my tongue. HARD.

Forgive me Father Baer, for I have sinned....

IV. Thou shalt not play for someone who is taking a bathroom break.

Not so much play as kill them off....

Halo 3 is my main offense of this

Killing people off in Halo while they are away is pretty much the only way I can win. I should be ashamed of this, but I'm not. I suck at Halo enough that I think it's acceptable.

I got to the end of Zelda II and didn't beat it. It, Four Swords, and the CD-I games are the only Zeldas I haven't beaten, and I have a triforce tattoo. In my defense, screw the last part of that game. Invisible eyeballs, lizardmen, and lava everywhere? SCREW THAT.

FF related, finished the first disc of IX and just...lost my steam. Meh.

I think there was another one, but I can't remember.

I've tried to beat Zelda OOT like three times but I keep getting bored at different spots. Once when I was barely an hour in, once inside Jabu Jabu, and then of course at the dreaded Water Temple. I had the Gamecube version and I traded it in because it was worth a lot of money. On the off chance that I ever feel like playing it again it emulates pretty much perfectly.

Also, I tend to think anyone who argues that the PS3 is better than the 360 is absolutely ridiculous. But still, I'd like a PS3 for a Blu-Ray player, MGS4, and... well the fact that I can't think of a third reason kinda backs up my opinion on it.

In the vein of Nasenmann's post, I can't beat Ico.

I got to the end of Zelda II and didn't beat it... In my defense, screw the last part of that game. Invisible eyeballs, lizardmen, and lava everywhere? SCREW THAT.

I despise all of those things. Especially the lizards chucking axes. Definitely cheated to get through that game.

Never beat a sonic game.

Likewise. I keep telling myself I will, but Robotnik thrashes me 80% of the time in level 1. I just can't hang onto those rings...