Gamer Shame

glasfen

Um... I wasn't quite expecting this request, but

I. Thou shalt not cheat.

II. Thou shalt not use player's guides or walkthroughs except as a last resort.

III. Thou shalt not disrespect the system of another while secretly desiring it.

IV. Thou shalt not play for someone who is taking a bathroom break.

V. Thou shalt not steal lives or items in a two-player game.

VI. Thou shalt finish each game that thee starteth.

VII. Thou shalt not fling thy controller across the room, no matter how frustratingly difficult thy game might be.

VIII. Thou shalt watch quietly as others attempt the most simple and mundane levels, battles, or puzzles and not shout out the obvious method of completing them.

As I recall, these were first promulgated during the 8-bit era, yielding one for each bit. Of course, there are slight differences among users of different systems, but, for the most part, they tend to agree.

(thanks, Overflow. But now they are not unwritten commandments! What have I done?!)

Here's another of mine: I had to use a Game Genie to beat Zelda II

I'm quite the sinner, I've violated them all to certain degrees.

Games I've finished:

Mega Man X (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)

Mega Man 2

Final Fantasy VII

Final Fantasy X

Legend of Zelda

Legend of Zelda: LttP

Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Games I haven't finished:

...75% of my library, which covers Wii, 360, DS, PS3, PS2, DreamCast, GBA and Saturn.

Are people still playing that? I'd hate to get a game and have nobody be playing it.

I haet behind curve

well the people who are still on are really good so there is a difficult learning curve online.

not as many as when the game first came out though.

if you can get a friend to play it can be fun doing AI missions.

Yeah, if you're really overpowered and don't need to heal for another few turns.

Actually, I was underpowered and spent most of my time looking for butterflies so I could heal. :<

This brings me to another guilty point for me - whenever I feel battles like that are in my odds, sometimes I end up pressing whatever keyboard button it is to speed up the game multiple times over. That's yet another reason why I try to refrain from emulators other than for playing games that never got released out here >.>

I managed to resist the temptation to use the speed button when I was playing Chrono Trigger, but Nes and his firends just walked way too slow. That tunnel was ridiculous.

Wow, I must be an honorable gamer. I always follow those rules. There is only 2 games I've ever not finished (suprisingly one of them is Chrono Trigger) and I have never used cheats until after I beat the game at least twice so I can get everything out of it. It's just no fun anymore after you use cheats.

Also, I've never played a zelda, megaman, sonic, or tomb raider game in my life.

How about I meet you halfway. I'm watching a playthrough with commentary. They do a great job narrating. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_gBi8o0O1w&feature=PlayList&p=402547028AB07160&index=4

I've not found a whole lot of these that I really enjoy.

I've watched a couple Earthbound and CT ones just because I wanted to see if I missed anything in my X number of playthroughs.

Some are entertaining, others are annoying.

The best one I ever watched was on Zelda 2. Dude was hilarious. Lost the url, though.

• 1 month later...

Jeez Laweez, I think I'm pretty much going to gamer hell with all the shame/sins I've accumulated. Here's a couple

-Never completed Link to the Past

-Had to cheat to complete Gunstar Heroes the first time (Seven Force when I was 8 was a BITCH!)

- Cheated to complete Final Fantasy 7, because I was too young and impatient to figure out the intricacies of the materia system

- I actually think the Ys Series is more enjoyable than the Zelda series.

- Never played Oddworld.

- I spoiled the entire story of Xenogears for myself before actually playing the game. Damn you wikipedia.

There's a lot more but I think I should consider annointing myself before I say anything else.

Not sure if this counts as Gamer Shame, But. When I was, eh. I'd like to say 10-12. Can't remember. I JUST got done beating the Dead Sea in Chrono Chross.. Right? Well, I shut off the playstation 2. Normally I keep my memory cards in my pocket due to my little brother stealing them. he was like 5 or something at the time.

I go back to play CC, and my memory card was gone. So I go as my mom, who is sitting by my little brothers swimming pool, lone behold. as I'm walking around the corner... There it is. Sitting in the pool. That one memory card went through the wash about a dozen times, and still worked. but the pool took it out.. I still haven't beatin CC :(

Is it a sin to find an excuse to beat Castlevania IV in two loops in one sitting every other day..?

More recent sin....

Recently went back on "Embodiment of Scarlet Devil" which originally did not have a visible hit box. With the recent graphical update patch (created by fans) there was an option to have a permavisible hitbox....

I ONLY DID IT ONCE ON HARD MODE TO SEE WHAT IT WAS LIKE! I WAS HAVING A BAD DAY AS SAKUYA WAS MOPPING THE FLOOR WITH MY ASS AND THE FLOOR WAS SANDPAPER. :puppyeyes:

Switched it back to non-visible hitbox as it was originally meant to be. (imo..)

I loved Quest 64 (in all it's repetitive glory), I couldn't finish Chrono Cross, I religiously play X-com: UFO Defense (working on a record time in beating it - currently at 1 1/2 hours; I'm sure I could do better...), yet find X-com Apocalypse to be the superior game, I actually like the soundtrack for Amagon (yet despise the game... go figure), I never played a Resident Evil game in my life, I don't like Halo (even though I generally like FPS), and I loved Quest 64 (in all it's repetitive glory).

That's about all I can think of, right now. I didn't feel I contributed enough to this earlier...

Edit: I've never played Doom, and I have no inclination to, either.

Oh god, Quest 64. Between the disorienting post-battle camera spin and the constant dying, it took me about a week to finally navigate through that damned Blue Cave, only to get utterly destroyed by Nepty in the Isle of the Sky. Still, I loved every minute of it.

Being only my second RPG, I remember wanting to play other similar games. I rented Aidyn Chronicles, which Nintendo Power had led me to believe was just like Quest 64. I couldn't stand the graphics and decided it was a shitty game after about 20 minutes of gameplay. Fortunately, I discovered Ogre Battle 64 shortly thereafter, and my craving for RPGs was finally sated.