OCR01063 - Super Mario Bros. 3 "Lose-Your-Way Maze"

djpretzel

I think you're right when saying that it's justifiably short. This piece offers a lot in terms of creativity and arrangement. The bassline is golden man, and when that organ comes in I'm shakin' my head like "YEAH BUDDY."

This piece really accomplished what it sets out to do quite nicely. Even if its a bit short, it gets the job done.

I really like the vibe you've got going here. Good stuffs.

This is awesome! A very original vibe going here. I especially love the use of sound effects. The only part of this mix I found a bit lackluster was the drumming, the snare in particular. I think it's too low and distant a sound for a song already so low-end centric, and near the end begins to overplay. The bass drum (if there is one) should be louder, and those hi-hat hits just clutter things up. Those are pretty much nitpicks, I suppose, cuz otherwise this mix has groove to spare. The organ rocks my face, and that bassline is outright infectious. It might be a little short, but bands in the 50's and 60's could get away with songs even shorter than this one.

Nice Work! :nicework:

BTW: What song is this a remix of?

Very, VERY nice stuff. I'm actually listening to it as I write this.

The original tune from the game had a jazzy feel to it, so it didn't surprise me that a remix of it took this sound. Excellent bass work in here, makes for some nice easy listening. The drums are quiet, but I actually don't think that's a negative here. Maybe it's just me, but I think if the drums had been more pronounced, they may have competed against the organs. And usually, I don't like when sound effects from a game are used in a remix of it, but this song doesn't overdo it.... very tasteful and limited use of the pipe sound. The timing on it is perfect in the song too.

Like others, my one gripe is that it's too short, but I can live with it.

Ok, pretty much everything in SMB3, heck, everything Koji Kondo touches, for that matter, is just plain classic. But SMB3 is just about the most classic of all of them, either by the massive quality of the game, the massive quality of the songs, or most likely both. In such fashion, though, you make something that has such high standards, that most remixers, even the most competent, steer clear most of the time. DJ Orange has none of that pride/fear to inhibit him, and I'm very glad it doesn't. While in my top five favorite songs on SMB3, the Pipe Land overworld tune isn't exactly one of the most varied/remix-rich type tunes out there, but that can be a good thing. The main melody, beat, and flow makes for a perfect wire-frame with which to hang the fairly competent texture maps that make up the whole of the experience.

DJ Orange: Please, tell me there's more where that came from.

T.Co's Rating: :):D:mrgreen:8) /5 smileys

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The amazing bassline in this song is balanced by bad synth horns in this mix, though on repeated listens, it's unfortunate that the horns seem to come out more each time.

The ending actually sounds like a breakdown with some tasteful piano, but then... nothing. It just stops.

Though the bass is great and the drums are decent, the length of the track and the horribly fake horns really turned me off to this mix. :(

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01063 - Super Mario Bros. 3 "Lose-Your-Way Maze"