LOZ: Ocarina of Time "A Measure of Happiness" OC ReMix

Ryn0r

Link >here<. So to speak.

Length: 4:16; Filesize: 4.8 MB

---

Title is a working one I'm not satisfied with.

The inspiration for this song came from my guitar noodling. I came up with the chord you hear in the opening, and it was only later that I realized what I was playing. The first rhythm of those chords is actually how I play them (it's also the key I play it in, which is why the key is not the same as the source).

This is the shortened version of the piece -- the long, original version is simply a little more repetitive.

Enjoy.

I like the direction you're taking with this. You should play around with the melody a lot more--I like what you've done so far. There's a lot more of the Zelda theme you haven't included, and I want to hear what you can do with it.

I didn't like that everything is panned dead center. Once you spread the instruments out, that'll make it that much more interesting. Do you have a way to record your guitar? If you wrote some simple stuff to play at the ends of phrases, that would add a lot of character. Also, expand your drum kit. I like your sequencing, but it's still the same four samples I've been hearing the whole song.

Also, you might consider an alternative to the orchestra hit, especially at the end. I don't think that's working at all.

First of all, don't tag it OC ReMix. Let Liontamer or djp to that... if and when it gets accepted.

As for the remix, it's pretty cool sounding. Sadly, it's also annoyingly repetitive. You can get away with repetition if you have some subtle changes, like a slowly opening cutoff filter on a pad or something so it's building up to something.

Spuzz is right about the drum sequencing as well. It's by no means bad, but it's the same stuff throughout. There it's not a problem with the repetitive writing, it's a problem with the repetitive sound. The bass rhythm suffers from the same problem, it's the same thing throughout.

And yes, the orchestra hit does not sound good.

It does sound promising.

This is very interesting. Yes, I agree with the others so far in that it is repetetive but I think there is a lot of room for originality. Intertwining the LoZ main theme is a great start. I'd love to hear other OoT themes woven in as well (particularly the Ganon organ music, one of my favorites). You have a solid base here.

Definitely seconding what was said above about it being repetitive. I'd say you could cut the intro down a bit and make the drums come in at the same time as the orchestral hit thing. Other than that, it needs more going on, a new melody, the rest of the theme, another instrument during a lot of parts. I don't think I really hear more than 3 or 4 instruments doing anything at the same time until the very end. The sliced drums near the end are a great start, mix things up like that throughout the song. No real mixing issues that I hear, but since there isn't a lot going on, it's hard to say. Keep at it, this has potential.