OCR00214 - Lunar: The Silver Star "Singing Pretzel"

m68030

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This mix is foremost a victim of the poor vocal recording quality.

Pretz really isn't a bad singer at all, in this mix (obviously very early) he doesn't have much control, but that kind of thing can be fixed with practice.

I really like his voice as well :)

As for the mix, I'm a sucker for the sharp percussion, (like Protricity's DK Mine Cart mix) though I usually prefer mixes that are a little denser (Khalal's FF6 Devil's Lab comes to mind as one of my favorites).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Your song makes me smile, djpretzel. I would be interested to hear this song done with better vocal quality, because it's what the pulls the song down. But I do like it; it makes me remember me and my own friends doing karaoke and impressing the shit out of several people in the room. My hats off to you for the putting yourself out there.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I like how the choir opens up like a reminder of the human instrument that will lead the mix. Sprinkly percussion is soon joined by an amphibious bass, forming the backbone to support the singing. The synth at 0:44 serves as a welcome stepping stone to the chorus. I would've liked to hear a sparse section where the subtle pad in the back has more air time - it sounds both mysterious and calming.

The bass-dominated breakdown really sounds like it wants me to "get down" based on its mini-nosedives. As if understanding the sentiment, the warpy synth at 1:08 has a pleasurable romp before cheekily assisting the vocals in the final section. 1:29-1:31 is a contagiously hopeful mini-climax; it holds my emotions at a high point until the end.

Close listening shows that the vocals generally echo the notes in the source, and except for one line, the lyrics match up to the letter. djp's not at fault for the voice cracks and wavers in the louder/higher pitches - male adolescence is to blame. But I digress. On the flip side, his whispers are sexy, even snakelike, especially when noting the "dark storm that soon will paSSSS." Matching the speed of the original leaves some words inaudible, sure, but without lyrics on hand, even the source isn't 100% clear.

Moral of the mix: Zorlog needs more lovin'. More time in the sun. Singing Pretzel brims with a holy magic that Fighting Through the Darkness lacks.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The vocal performance was pretty good, but the recording and mixing of it wasn't so hot. The solo was cool, and the percussion was well layered. The mixing does hurt the track a little, but it's definitely not un-listenable, unless of course you hate vocal remixes. :<

Cool that is got some discussion going too. I'd like to hear an updated version. :-)

• 2 months later...
The production is where the song suffers though...I wonder if Dave would ever revisit this song :lol:

Last year at MAGFest:

Me: Didn't you do the vocals on Town Life?

GT: That was David actually, not me.

Me: ...wait, DJP did that?

GT: Yep

Me: ...man, he's come a long way since Singing Pretzel

KF

• 4 weeks later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00214 - Lunar: The Silver Star "Singing Pretzel"