OCR01820 - Super Metroid "In Your Prime"

djpretzel

This has replaced Bionic Electronica as my favourite BGC remix.

The arrangement of the source is wonderful, and the flow the remix has to it is amazing. From the slow and brooding start to the pumping, energetic finale, the songs takes the listener for a ride where he's never bored.

Great song.

• 1 month later...

When I went through the album last month, there were just a few songs that I particularly liked enough to save them. This was one of them. It has everything that a remix should have and it portrays the songs in it very well. Congrats.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

God, this source. You could play it with samples of people vomiting and it would sound amazing. Not to take away from the apex of quality in this mix, though. I would much rather this over my proposed mix concept.

This does pretty much everything a fan of the original sources would want. It gives a loud treatment, it gives a quiet treatment. It plays the main melody alone, and it plays it with various other intertwined Metroid cameos. At parts it sounds connected to the games, with the choir pads being very Metroid-esque. And at other times it sounds quite removed from that universe and more nightclub centred. I guess my point is: everyone should be at least a little satisfied with what BGC has on offer here.

I really enjoy eventful music, and this mix is just that. It also helps that the source is seemingly impossible to screw up, but I'm glad there are people out there constantly thinking of new ways to improve it.

• 1 month later...

Well... how to start my critique of this one... Here's as good a point to begin as any.

To quote Marmiduke,

God, this source. You could play it with samples of people vomiting and it would sound amazing.
I think the source wouldn't have sounded near as good, but this one... even with that going on, I'd still pay to hear this. The part at 1:30 was a very, very, very nice touch. I loved that part of it. This one gets a straight 10 from me - I can't find any problems with it. It only gets better with multiple listening-to's. Personally, I think the source had nothing on this mix!

AG! How could I possibly forget that landmark stop at 4:31?!? That right there made my day. It fits perfectly, and goes with the rest of the piece. The ending also fit perfectly - no interruption of flow, no discordant sounds, nothing that does not perfectly match the rest of this piece. Personally, even while I'm writing this critique, I'm having a hard time not saying the same things Marmiduke did - he pretty much covered everything that is good in this song. If you are not completely deaf (and possibly even then, watching others dance to this), DOWNLOAD THIS. IT WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST DECISIONS YOU EVER MAKE. 10/10!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like the industrial-sounding opening, and the rest of it sounds surprisingly polished for a song that's part of a very rushed album. I think it's one of the most complete-sounding remixes on the project, not just because of the length but also because of the amount of processing and creative enhancements throughout. A particular highlight would be the breathy sound effects that pop in around 2:45.

Really good work, BGC! :-)

• 3 months later...

I just discovered this track on the Reserve Tank collaboration, which I also just discovered. (I'm not sure how I missed it.) This track is my favorite on the whole album, and I just keep listening to it. It's so...energizing...but that word doesn't really cut it.

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01820 - Super Metroid "In Your Prime"