To Buy or Not to Buy A DSi?

Toadofsky

Okay, so I've had my DS lite for about a good two years if not more than that, and have had good enjoyment out of it for some time now (Just got Henry Hatsworth and Metal Slug 7 for like 25 bucks total).

And after going to Gamestop and saw the trade in special, where if you trade in your DS Lite towards getting a DSi, you'd get $70 dollars store credit, and anything like the old DS or GBA SP, you'd get some cash for as well.

I've researched on some of the features of the DSi, and they sound cool, but I'd like your guys opinion, on it.

Would it be worth buying, or should I hold off until they come out with the inevitable super upgraded handheld?

I don't know if I'd do much photo on it, maybe some listening to music, but I just don't know.

And, are you guys going to pick one up as well?

While I will confess to buying one myself (I've preordered it), I definitely do not claim that the DSi is a must have. Its a bit gimmicky, but I'm getting it as an addition to my DS lite, and for some obscure reasons that don't apply to the sane public.

Though the DSi shop could shape up to be interesting. Hopefully.

I'm really interested in the DSi too. Here's basically what it comes down to for me- if Nintendo decides to let us play our Virtual Console games on it, I'm gonna run down to the store and buy one. Until then, I can't justify replacing my perfectly fine DS lite.

Something worth considering is that you've had your DS lite for two years now, and I'm assuming you mean that it's been working properly this whole time? If you decide to rush out and buy a DSi you're going to be investing in the first run of a new model of hardware... there could be some kinks in the design that might ultimately lead to a broken DS. Now, Nintendo's hardware has always been great for me, but that risk is still there.

I'd get it just for the bigger screen, which is notably bigger than the DS Lite. The SD mem card slot is also appealing because we'll see some DS ware and maybe virtual console stuff, and that'd be sweet.

Of course from what I'm hearing, Wii points and DS points aren't going to cross over, I.E you can't use Wii points to buy DS Ware and vice versa. Bitch move, Nintendo.

Something worth considering is that you've had your DS lite for two years now, and I'm assuming you mean that it's been working properly this whole time? If you decide to rush out and buy a DSi you're going to be investing in the first run of a new model of hardware... there could be some kinks in the design that might ultimately lead to a broken DS. Now, Nintendo's hardware has always been great for me, but that risk is still there.

There's been rumor going round that some games aren't compatible with DSi for some reason. Metroid Prime Hunters crashes/locks up for some strange reason, and some developers are a bit skeptical on it. But don't quote me on that, most of it is rumor.

THe more I've looked into it, and thought about it, I guess I'll wait. Especially for the inevitable DS 2 or whatever it'll be...:-P

Am I the only one that still plays his old gameboy color?

I am actually playing Oracle of Seasons right now, lol

That's hardcore. My GBC has broken speakers, but once in a while I turn it on for nostalgia's sake.

I won't be getting a DSi yet. Maybe in the future, but the Lite is fine for now. Some of the new features do look interesting, though.

that's actually the only game of mine that whose save battery hasn't died yet (excepting games that don't have save capability, obviously)

Wow, really?

I've just lately started playing Zelda II on my NES again, and occasionally playing SUper Mario Land I and II on my GB.

I never upgraded to a DS Lite after it came out, so I'm still using my old DS. One of the guys from work had an imported DSi he let me try out; I'll definitely be getting one.

Same for me.

And about playing the Gameboy Color, I did it few months ago with Pokemon Trading Card Game :lol:

And about it do you know if the TCG2 exists in english ? ^^''

I still like card games.

I thought about getting a DSi, but knowing that it doesn't have a GBA slot kinda makes me have doubts. I mean, yeah, I still have my GBA laying around, but it's not a GBA SP, and I'd rather not have to bring 2 handhelds with me when I go places (i.e. cottage for a week), lol. Though.....I'd have to bring 2 if I wanted to play my old GBC games, anyway. But yeah, my DS Lite seems to be working fine, even if there's a crack on one of the hinges, I've duct taped over.

I never upgraded to a DS Lite after it came out, so I'm still using my old DS.

Excuse the noob question, but I haven't bought a handheld since I bought my GBA. What exactly is the difference between a standard DS and a DS Lite? Is it something earth-shattering like the difference between GBA and GBA SP, or something relatively minor, more akin to the difference between the Brick and the Game Boy Pocket?

Btw guys, this is a huge selling point. You can exit back to the menu from Pictochat without having to restart the DS. :P rofl

I also like how you can press the power button(not holding it down) during a game, and it will go back to the main menu.

The .3 megapixel camera is actually surprisingly good for being only .3

Excuse the noob question, but I haven't bought a handheld since I bought my GBA. What exactly is the difference between a standard DS and a DS Lite? Is it something earth-shattering like the difference between GBA and GBA SP, or something relatively minor, more akin to the difference between the Brick and the Game Boy Pocket?

Better and brighter screen x100 is the main selling point, and it is pretty sleek. But really it's all about the screen.

http://images.google.com/images?q=nintendo+ds+phat

http://images.google.com/images?q=nintendo+ds+lite

DS Lite has a brighter screen and is smaller.