OCR01943 - *YES* Final Fantasy 6 'Behind Enemy Lines'

Liontamer

Nutritious

Justin Medford

NutritiousMultimedia@gmail.com

http://NutritiousMultimedia.googlepages.com

Final Fantasy VI

Martial Law, Serpent Trench

This is not part of any project (amazingly enough).

This remix was created in response to a post in the request forums for a new take on Martial Law. It's a very memorable theme from FFVI for me and very fitting for the point in the storyline where it's played. I tried to capture some of the same feeling as the original with the duets near the beginning, but also bring more dynamics to the piece with more full-on orchestra later. Eventually, I was starting to exhaust my ideas for takes on Martial Law and felt like the piece needed to have a contrasting section from the first half or so. Serpent Trench seemed to be a great fit for the mood I wanted to set in the next section, so I'm pleased with how the themes turned out together.

I actually finished this mix about 6 months ago, but due to rendering problems (audio dropouts, pops, clicks, etc.) I never was able to get a clean render. I finally revisted this mix recently and was able to get a clean finished product (as far as I can tell).

Hope you enjoy,

Justin

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://snesmusic.org/v2/download.php?spcNow=ff6 - "Under Martial Law" (ff6-121.spc) & "The Serpent Trench" (ff6-119.spc)

I don't think I've ever heard an arrangement of Under Martial Law in the community before. Pretty easy YES, although my one big crit is the mixing being indistinct. Probably a delicate line to balance, mixing this too dry or too muddy, but the verb could have stood to be pulled back some. Still, it's serviceable enough, and thickening up the texture did downplay the lack of realism in some of the sounds; nothing sounded obscenely fake, but at the same time it doesn't sound played live.

Make no mistake though, this was pretty strong. Good pacing & dynamics; the arrangement turned out pretty interesting. Nice work, man.

YES

+1 for arranging this track -9000 for still hosting with googlepages.

Arrangement was clicking with me. Good use of imitation at 0;22-> and effective crescendo at 1:33. The dissonances at 2:05 were off-putting for me but that's a highly personal opinion. Overall this is a very dynamic arrangement with seamless transitions and good interpretive source usage.

Production was over the bar. Your instruments still sound a bit fake and exposed (2:40-2:55 being a good example) but it doesn't break the mix. Some additional lower frequencies in the timpanis and bass (where ARE the basses?) would also help flesh out the soundscape.

Overall, this is a solid arrangement with above-the-bar production. Good stuff Justin, keep doing what you're doing!

YES

You're making orchestral stuff sound totally effortless at this point. Very refined writing and usages of instruments, you can barely tell where your writing begins and Uematsu's writing ends. Loved how the strings handled the chord change at 2:24. It felt a little medley-like to me but not in an awkward way. Still a very cohesive piece. You keep putting out great work, Justin.

YES