The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

BardicKnowledge

After reading this,

Cel-shaded Link didn't fucking bodyslam a ram in the first few minutes of the game.

And then this,

No, instead he fucking does the most EPIC *and im not using the word like every other person, it actually was EPIC* finish to Ganon in Zelda history.

I had the image of Link ramming Ganondorf with a train in order to finish him off... it was a fun little thought.

Well anyway, seeing as how these type of threads are for rampant speculation, I bet that the path of the train will be controlled with the touch screen, by drawing the path that the train will take, in an unabashedly similar way to PH. Which correlates with the title of spirit tracks, as it implies that the tracks are somewhat ethereal (maybe not the right word), and can be placed wherever you want.

And if they had a systen like that in place, it would be cool if you could warp by placing a magic warp tunnel in your path that would warp you from any point a to (hopefully) any point b. though what with the current tradition of Zelda warping mechanisms, I'm thinking that there would be a limited amount of point b's (train stations anyone?).

This really makes me want to get a DS.

I sorta have one because my brother tried to clean his DS with Lysol by spraying directly on the DS.

So uh yeah that happened so he got a new one.

Still turns on and plays games but the actual touch feature on the lower screen is fucked. Still has visual but just useless.

Is it possible Nintendo could fix it for me?

Hrrmmmm. That sounds kind of unlikely, but then again, the Big N's customer service is pretty spectacular. Part of why I'm such a fanboy, even now.

That having been said, I loved Phantom Hourglass and am looking forward to this one.

Really looking forward to this one. Train sounds unique gameplay-wise...not to mention adding more "modern" technology to the Zelda series is long-overdue. Interested in how they will tie-in this game in terms of storyline.

Some of the new weapons in the trailer look really unique...very Minish Cap-like. Even though they're using the same game engine of Phantom Hourglass, the gameplay seems to be different enough.

PH is the best portable Zelda game I've ever played and it has added a lot of innovative concepts to the series' traditions because of touch-screen controls. Personally, I think it's better than Twilight Princess in some respects since PH nicely takes full advantage of its system while TP Wii was kind of frustrating to control with the exception of its minigames. Moreover, I'm one of those people who loved the Temple of the Ocean King due to its challenging difficulty.

I never completed Phantom Hourglass because, like Yahtzee, the Temple of the Ocean King can go fuck itself. I'm not doing the same fucking puzzles each time I re-enter, while having unbeatable bad guys chase after my ass on a TIME LIMIT. I'm pretty sure it's the only Zelda I haven't completed (besides Zelda II), but it's the first I just refuse to complete.

In regards to Spirit Tracks, I'm going to get it whether it's up to par with the rest of the series (yay fanboy-ism), but I really hope it doesn't repeat everything I disliked about PH.

I never completed Phantom Hourglass because, like Yahtzee, the Temple of the Ocean King can go fuck itself. I'm not doing the same fucking puzzles each time I re-enter, while having unbeatable bad guys chase after my ass on a TIME LIMIT. I'm pretty sure it's the only Zelda I haven't completed (besides Zelda II), but it's the first I just refuse to complete.

In regards to Spirit Tracks, I'm going to get it whether it's up to par with the rest of the series (yay fanboy-ism), but I really hope it doesn't repeat everything I disliked about PH.

I'm sure Nintendo listened to the criticism, and hopefully took it into account. That wasn't why I didn't finish the game, the ice dungeon had some stupid timed event, and I couldn't get past it because I had to walk some tight rope, so I just said screw it.

I still like Phantom Hourglass though.

Except that every item you got in the various dungeons made it easier each time to get through the TotOK, plus you had the checkpoint to skip through the first 3 or 4 screens. Whereas NOTHING makes it easier to get to the places in the middle of the stupid ocean to pull up pieces of triforce. That comparison of yours blows.

Well, I'm just comparing them in the sense that they gave me that same feeling of tedium, that's all. The items and check points (as well as warping via the Ballad of Gales in WW) did help quite a bit in terms of getting through the Temple of the Ocean King or dredging out the Triforce pieces, but overall I found both tasks fairly boring and tiresome compared to other dungeons or parts of these otherwise excellent games.

But going back on topic, Spirit Tracks looks pretty cool so far. I'm confident Nintendo will come up with some pretty innovative new ideas. Hmmmm, I wonder... will we see Link flying in the sky in some future game?

I never completed Phantom Hourglass because, like Yahtzee, the Temple of the Ocean King can go fuck itself.

I concur; Yahtzee can go fuck itself.

Honestly, I don't really see what the big deal about Link's mode of transportation is. Whether he's walking there or riding a horse or sailing a boat or driving a train, you have to spend time moving from one place to another, which can sometimes be dull but is required in order to, y'know, keep every single location in the game from being right next to each other. I actually sort of like the idea that seems to be behind the train; it basically drives itself while you do something else (like shooting at shit); it's certainly more entertaining than just having to ignore things and run away from them or stop going-toward-where-you-want-to-be in order to fight them like you do in other Zelda games.

What many people have an issue with is that the original Zelda wasn't "Legend of Zelda: The Recorder", "Zelda: Epona the Magic Horse", "Zelda: The Statues of the Owl", etc. It seems that Zelda games as of late are focusing too much on your mode of transportation, when in fact that's all they are.

As of late? Like what?

Minish Cap? The doesn't take you anywhere, it just shrinks you. Twilight Princess? You carry her around. Phantom Hourglass? That's not the name of your boat.

And no, the original Zelda wasn't "The Recorder" because it was the original Zelda. Who's going to put a subtitle on that?

And as for "Epona the Magic Horse," I assume you're talking about "Ocarina of Time," which, last I checked, was a mode of transportation.

The only two Zelda games that have used your mode of transportation in the title of the game were "Ocarina of Time" and "Wind Waker," and those items did a lot more than just get you from place to place.

"Zelda games of late" are not "focusing on your mode of transportation." So Link's not walking around an overworld on foot anymore. It's not like 3D Zelda games have been particularly groundbreaking in that respect. Running across Hyrule on foot in Ocarina of Time was just as boring as sailing across the ocean in Wind Waker. The only difference? You had to push your stick forward.

Phantom Hourglass's boating was fun. You set your course and let your boat go, while you can concentrate on killing enemies. It was a lot more elegant than trying to steer a boat while trying to fire a cannon at the same time.

It was a lot more elegant than trying to steer a boat while trying to fire a cannon at the same time.

More like stopping the boat to do anything. X_X

I agree; the automatic steering (as long as you have some control over where you're going) makes travel more interesting. More enemies can show up, since you're allowed to blast them on the move. TWW's overworld was really sparse, and when enemies did show up, it was annoying to momentarily stop and deal with them. Same with OoT. PH condensed things, threw in more random enemies, and allowed you to attack without interrupting your travel. And it looks like ST will be similar in that regard, so I'm happy about that.