Lufia 2 Battle Theme# 1 Remix

AngelsDen

I already tried to submit this remix, but it was rejected.

http://remixshare.com/get.php?file=smt1qola0n

I used FL to Remix this song and various common Plugins.

These are the Reasons of Rejection:

"Not bad for a beginning effort. Some of the stuttering effects were pretty interesting. The synth design was pretty basic so far and your textures were pretty thin. Use our forums to learn how to get more power out of FL Studio. That said, don't be discouraged; this is actually a lot better than most beginner efforts with FL."

"the arrangement is too underdeveloped and/or too repetitive "

"the sound quality (e.g. sample quality, sequencing, mixing, processing, recording, performance) is poor "

I agree with all of these Reasons and i dont want to give up on this Remix. I already did some changes like doing some delicate panning at the Bridge and for some synths. (not in this mp3)

But the reason why i posted this here is my biggest Problem... the arrangement itselfs. I want to improve the whole thing and i need your Help with it.

Actual Progress:

Version 0.75

Version 0.76

Pretty imaginative mix of this... I'm bobbin' my head to it.

As for structure, yes, there is a problem with it. Firstly, you build up to the material for one third of the song. A buildup is fine, but having it last so long makes it incredibly dreary and boring. Cut the buildup in half, at least, if not more.

After that, the material you use is interesting, but sounds very close to the source structurally (like you said, your biggest problem). When you make changes to the song, don't be afraid to piece together fragments of the theme in order to make something on your own to play with. Currently it plays through each theme in it's entirety, which is bland after the first two times you do it. Break it up and make something out of it - that could break up the monotonous tone it's setting right now.

The texture is great, and the style is fresh (for this song) - I didn't see it coming :)

Keep it up!

Agreeing with Gario and Jewbei. If you're going to keep the intro, jazz it up with some snippets from later on (fade in/out quiet melody, for example). The key change before 4:00 needs something... different. Like a change in rhythm or energy. The ending is fine but not impressive.

All that said, the mix is well constructed and balanced. I enjoyed the eventual layering around 2:00. Update, please!

Ok, i've added some changes to the second half now:

- Added a slight distortion to the kickbass

- changed the panning of the phaser-drums in the Bridge

- changed the whole drumline at the transponsed part

- slightly changed the drumlines before and at the bridge

- changed the ending

http://remixshare.com/?file=bmlf0dqp1n

All thats left for this half is to make some changes in the synthline at the transponsed part and im thinking to get the Legato String from the Background to the front harmonizing with the synth...

Just some simple changes:

- inserted Glisten Effect into the Bridge (still sounds not perfect T_T)

- inserted Pianoappreggio from the original tune with some L/R pan (some Notes sound wrong, the appregio is incomplete at the end and i still cant find a sample fitting for that part)

http://remixshare.com/?file=bhfx4n392y

If i get these perfected, ill try my best with the first part and complete the whole tune. I'm all pumped up.. thanks to you <3

I love this source. I may have to take a shot at arranging it myself.

The main critique I have to offer is adding more to fatten out the sound. The texture feels so thin across the whole thing, and the same general harmonic structure is repeated over and over which can make it fatiguing to listen to. The key change around 3:50 helps that a bit, but you definitely needs more mids represented in the overall soundscape, and maybe a stronger bass line.

The intro is really strange... feels like it doesn't fit. Still very raw about the sound quality, sampling and that sort of thing.

I liked the melody introduction on 1:15, also (the key change?) on 2:47, and the rythm feels good. It was 2:47 onwards that I felt your mix more like what it needs to be, strong, with background elements, etc. Still need some arrangement, some personal touch, make it noticeable that it is a remix, not the source tune with dance beat on top of it.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge... I'm trying to explain myself without knowing how. :-P

Don't give up on this! You are doing great!

The part im most afraid of is the intro, its hard to merge it with the flow of this song T_T
The intro is really strange... feels like it doesn't fit.

Okay, the intro is different from the rest... but it doesn't sound too strained (to me, anyway), particularly since the same feel comes back later in the song. The parts are distinct but sufficiently related to flow into one another.

Granted, I don't have the knowledge to help with the technical aspects, but it sounds great! Also, I think ocremixfan makes some excellent points about originality and personality. All in all, I think you have a very mature mix at this point in time.

The intro is really strange... feels like it doesn't fit. Still very raw about the sound quality, sampling and that sort of thing.

I liked the melody introduction on 1:15, also (the key change?) on 2:47, and the rythm feels good. It was 2:47 onwards that I felt your mix more like what it needs to be, strong, with background elements, etc. Still need some arrangement, some personal touch, make it noticeable that it is a remix, not the source tune with dance beat on top of it.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge... I'm trying to explain myself without knowing how. :-P

Don't give up on this! You are doing great!

Thank you very much for your criticism, im always longing for more abundance in the arrangement but im afraid that the sample quality drops or some part i want to be in the front gets in the back in return. I'm currently getting myself into Equalizing, panning and velocity. Its hard to implement these parts with free samples and plugins.. but i won't give up.

Okay, the intro is different from the rest... but it doesn't sound too strained (to me, anyway), particularly since the same feel comes back later in the song. The parts are distinct but sufficiently related to flow into one another.

Granted, I don't have the knowledge to help with the technical aspects, but it sounds great! Also, I think ocremixfan makes some excellent points about originality and personality. All in all, I think you have a very mature mix at this point in time.

That gives me alot of confidence. <3

The intro is still the most frustrating part and i was on the verge to give up the intro and do something new. But i nearly forgot that the intro is part of the Bridge. Its something that doesnt belong to the original arrangement, something that i added as a part of my personal accent.

Lets see if i can get more power into the intro ;)

Ver.0.5: http://remixshare.com/?file=byxqwgye3k

Changes:

- some drastic changes on the intro

- better bass

- changed the synthline in the bridge to a Legato String

To Do:

- The FX Hit after the intro is just a filler and needs to be changed

(still trying out some ideas)

- Overwork some timing problems in the Leadvoice

- Adding some Highlight Effects

Nice update... your intro got better indeed, but needs better transition at 0:24, IMHO. Your bass is still pretty much unchanged in rythm for the entire song, it needs more variation, I guess.

The overall soung sound better in quality terms, but I don't know how much is because I'm using my home phones, much better then the ones I use at work.

Try some better samples to "improve the experience" of listening to the song, and try some arrangement ideas.

Hope I can help you until you get this approved. Keep it up, dude!

Hey, there. I'm back from the first version you presented. It's come a long way from when I last heard it (I tried to come in earlier, but your hosting is very unreliable for me...).

It is a whole lot better this time around (thank God for the changes to the intro - it's made a WORLD of difference). Now, one of the reasons it still sounds repetitious is that after the initial statement of the beginning of the source, you repeat the second part for the rest of the song (from 1:11 - 3:24). I can understand repeating it a few times - it's where you get most of your remixing ideas. Let me make a suggestion, though - instead of going back to the material your going to repeat at 2:23, try moving back to the other section of the source for some time before going into the stuff you put at 2:23. That will not only add interest to the music, it'll also add length. You need to add more of the first part of the source in this - it's killing me to listen to the same section of source 6 times straight (even with the key change - it still drives me a little bit crazy). Nice outro, though :-P.

It's getting better, but it still needs some work. I'm still listening, though!

Thats a good idea using the first part again somewhere in the second half...

In the Source its a prelude but in my remix its somehow missing out. Lets see how it works... Inspiration Baby! <3 Thanks for the suggestion.

And i still need alot of Help for the bassline. Yeah im a noob at this, ive tired alot of basics with off and onbeat but since the Hammering Synth has a dominant beat i have problems getting more dynamics into the basslines T_T

Lets get going, i have alot of work to do :)

Good to see the progress.

About the arrangement, it sems weel done, but it does not please my ears much... because of the distortion and some onther things around that I can't name, but that's just me, no rushing about that. Must say that I liked much the transition back to your main arrangement at 2:45 (it got a thrilling, excited feeling on it)

Don't know if you got many arrangement ideas, but you could post what you got, some different mp3, so we can evaluate more at once.

Keep it up! I'm liking very much where this is leading! =D

I still keep on trying some transitions after the intro and went through some Youtube Tutorials, but somehow alot of transitions sound to hard to fit in that place. And im still getting myself into the fruity Scratcher... man this plugin is hard to control ><

I want to try a breakscratch like in the intro of the Bust a Groove Intro Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II7_hF1Ky2Y you can slightly hear that sound at 0:05).

Very cool intro. I like the smash at 0:23. It's a great transition into the dance beat. The piano sounds beautiful, too. Can you bring a little more of that in (maybe a few rapid descending rolls right after)? The starlight synth at 2:05 and 2:18 are great.

I wasn't sure about the new transition at 2:23 but, after hearing it through (there's that piano again!), I totally dig it. It segues really well into the main theme. As for the ending, maybe hold that last note out a little longer as it nears silence?

Overall, excellent.

Just a simple change i've made in the first part: http://remixshare.com/?file=e7pryiubt2

I think the Remix is close to the finish, all thats left is improving the quality and adding something to the transition after the intro.

@glasfen: Last Note at the ending a little longer.. Roger that! :)

Thanks to everybody for the amazing Help!!! Without your suggestions i wouldnt have made it this far <3