New WiP's

jabond23

I've got 3 new WiP's and was just wondering what you guys though of them.

Death's Armada spans a lot of the metal genre mostly metalcore and power metal. Its definitely a heavy track. Also the vocals you hear are Ollie Williams from Family Guy. I don't know why i put them in there, was just bored i guess. lol

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/uvmn

Spirit is probably one of my fav tracks that i ever wrote. Its very metalcore and power/prog metal and has a crap load of riffs and leads in it. It took me a good couple weeks to bang this one out.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/bsna

Agency is an interesting song. The chorus is very catchy and i was trying to give the whole track a very futuristic vibe to it. Especially in the intro and some of the verse

parts.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/kpxj

Please let me know what you guys think? :)

Death's Armada: I like the intro! Way to boost the track into action from the very first seconds. I also like the guitars that follow afterwards, the sound quality is good in them. The snare needs humanization, I guess the velocities are all on the same level, making it sound like a drum machine. Try playing around with the velocities a bit, no drummer hits the snare always at the same power. Some toms would fit here too.

The small breakdown is nice, it ables you to change the riff. However, some sloppiness can be heard in the guitars (sudden pauses). The rest of the song sounds good, although I'd like to hear some heavy Em bass during the guitar "solo". Not very keen on the ascending synth melody, mostly about the choice of sound, but it's not bad. In overall, a nice metal song. Good job.

Agency: Another nice intro. Interesting guitars (I think they are guitars):)

Again, the rhythm guitars sounds good, although they become a little muffled when the synth melody kicks in. The melody itself is very good however.

Weird melodies in the middle, but I like them :D Just noticed, that the synth sounds kinda like something out of Jazz Jackrabbit 2, that's a good thing. Some humanization on the drums would work here too, I think it's all in the same velocity.

Given there's a lot of stuff playing at the same time, it's well mixed. Maybe a little muddy, so some people might not like that, but I don't think metal (especially metal such as this) needs to be perfectly clear.

The fadeout I didn't like that much, I think you should either expand it, making the fadeout longer, or have a different ending altogether.

So, there you have it, my thoughts of the two songs. For the most part I really enjoyed them, so congrats. :> There's room for improvement, but your work certainly is not crappy.

Thank you for comments!! I appreciate the feedback, sometimes its hard to get good feedback on your work. :)

Anyways, in Agency, the intro is a guitar just with a ton of effects on it. Which is what i was going for. And yeah, sometimes its still tough for me to mix metal near perfectly. In Death's Armada, i was playing at 200bpm, and sometimes those triplets can be a pain to keep up with! lol

As for the velocities/humanization of the snares, i use beatcraft and as far as i know i can't add/change any of those settings. I wish i could, it would give my drums a little more "realistic" feel to it instead like it was just quickly programmed. Maybe i need a new drum program altogether.

Sounds good man. Again I'd probably say to just watch the timing of those guitars and clean up some of the palm muting in Death's Armada.

Also, do you have a guitar amp and microphone that you could record your amp? It sounds like you're either just plugging your guitar straight into whatever you record with and adding distortion via software, or you've got your guitar going into a distortion pedal and then straight from the pedal to your rig. Has that very dry DI'd sound for sure, suppose I could be wrong however.

Agency sounds like it might fit in this one Anime I watched some time ago called "Black heaven" which has some pretty good music in it you might want to check out. Some of it might be right up your alley, maybe give you some inspiration or somethin :D

Also, in regards to the drums, might I suggest looking up "Addictive Drums" by XLN Audio, they are some of the most realistic drum samples I've ever come across. It's a VST plug-in, velocity control, room tone, mic placement, everything like that to acquire a pretty dang good drum sound.

Here's a shitty little recording I made in about 10-15 mins using said drum program and obviously they have more at their website:

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/pltq

(Yeah, your guitar playing is better than mine for sure =P I made this quickly for a friend to show him the drums so he could benefit since he likes to write a bunch of metal music as well, so yeah, this song is not meant to be anything at all worth listening to =D )