- Megaman 3 Snakeman -

AeroZ

http://www.freijman.com/snake_r42.mp3

Changed from Reason 3 to 4 today.

Tried it out.

Update 27/3 | www.freijman.com/snake_r43.mp3

Update 10/4 | www.freijman.com/snake_4_5.mp3

Tried to add a counter melody for verse 2. Don't know if it works though.

Breakdown added after Willy section. Somehow I've planned to get on to the 2nd part of Snakeman theme after that.

Also raised BPM from 145 to 152. (152 is original source bpm i think)

So how dramatic is the difference between the two? I know that it can tempo change, but I don't hear that in this song :|. I've got to make the change myself someday in the future (I have other priorities at the moment, but it needs to be done soon)... is there any feature in there that is Reason 4 only?

As for the mix, it was a fun little listen; it's always nice to try out a new program (or an upgrade) with video game music :razz:.

BTW, was that some MM2 Wily music that I was hearing at the end? Seemed to fit pretty well, there.

It's not so dramatic. I love "Thor" though.. perfect to experiment 8-bit sounds with. Though, it takes a while to get into the structure. A little confusing in the beginning, but Im already getting used to it. Feels great to have it. Takes a while to discover it I think.

BTW, was that some MM2 Wily music that I was hearing at the end? Seemed to fit pretty well, there.

Haha this made me laugh. I was totally sure that I was doing the 2nd part of the snakeman theme.. Didn't react on it until now.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not going to lie, I like this mix. It does, however, lean on the mids and bass a bit too heavily. The synths you use for the melodic material is not quite thick enough to fill the upper register of the music. I'm not recommending to change your instruments, really; they add to the charm of the piece. The lack of upper range, though, does give this a certain, 'muffled' quality that I'm sure that you didn't intend.

By the way, this sounds like an excellent piece that harkens back to the older OCR days. That nostalgic factor is really quite fun, but I don't know what that does to your chances with the judges (well, you'd know better than I, I guess; your an OCR remixer, whereas I am saldy not, at the moment).

It sounds like you cut back down on the Dr. Wily portion of the mix. I liked that part before when it was a bit more prominent :puppyeyes:. Ah well, I'm sure you have your reasons.

I like the mix, though, I want to hear the finished version soon!

I agree on the muffled feel, it should be addressed. I do like the lofi percussion. The arrangement/structure feels good to me up to 02:04, then it starts meandering a bit, not really progressing towards a lot imho. Perhaps I feel it sort of falls back on the MM2 Wily cameo. Overall I'm enjoying this quite a bit. It's laid back, but still the pace is good.

--Eino

Hello. This is my first posted thread, but I"ve been following OC Remix for a few years and decided to become more involved. That said, here is my 'critique'.

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[x] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

PRODUCTION

[x] Unrealistic sequencing

[x] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

PERFORMANCE (live recorded audio/MIDI parts)

[x] Timing not tight enough

STRUCTURE

[x] Lacks coherence overall (no "flow")

[x] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[x] Too short

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

[sweet! Snake man's music is one of my personal favorites. Glad to see you've picked it up after the last remix of going on 8 years now! My biggest question is, what direction are you going for? Are you leaning more toward a dance/techno-flavoring or something completely original? While I like that it dives right in to your own little spin on the original, if it's to be more dance/techno or something else, I feel it needs more variety from the established theme, at least for the first 50 seconds. Then one of they key frames in the original kicks in ( a little harshly, but it works) at 0:54. It's perfect for the next 12 seconds as it builds to a bit of a crescendo. 1:09 has a high noted Staccato? that I absolutely LOVE. A little more peppering of that brings a smile to my face. The flutes at 1:21 seem a little out of place here. At 1:23 it's a little rocky transition that doesn't seem to resolve itself as a choice until 1:40 when you realize it's the core of a much greater piece. By itself, it feels like it's missing something, which tells me it can't stand alone. Finally at 2:31 you have what appears to be the end, only it's not quite. Kinda like segues in certain songs, transitions to other pieces, really. But in this case, it's more like the extra scenes after the credits have rolled in movies. It's a really neat almost beatbox of the original chiptune, but with more bass. Still it leaves me scratching my head wondering is there more or was it supposed to be there. On the whole, it's great, and I like listening to it repeatedly. So there you go. Sorry it's so wordy, but I tend to pick things apart I know are going to be great! ]

My biggest question is, what direction are you going for? Are you leaning more toward a dance/techno-flavoring or something completely original?

Does AeroZ ever stick to a specific style? Or is his a style of its own?

This is a litte more constrained than those ReMixes of yours which I know by heart. It's tight and efficient, very sparse on the general swagger I feel when listening to Turning Terrors or Inspector Strago. That's a good thing here and a demonstration of your musical range.

I agree with Gario that it sounds a little muffled, which just leaves me hoping that some kind of sweet solo will break through and blow my mind. But it does give the song a certain character (agreeing also on the old school OCR sound).

Great work. Update?