Samurai Shodown Anthology

The Coop

It sure took it's sweet time getting released, but it finally showed up in stores. I picked up my PS2 version today, and it's quite nice. I-VI are on the DVD (sans V Special), and from what I can tell thus far, little has been left out....

- The graphics are lightly filtered (which is an improvement over the rather odd look the unfiltered and stretched pixels had on the Orochi Saga collection)

- The arterial spray that was missing in the Arcade Classics compilation is back the first game (you'd be surprised how much stink was raised over this)

- The load times are short (about 2-3 seconds between fights)

- Nothing appears to be censored (lots of blood, splitting opponents, fatality-ish moves, etc)

- The controls are right on the money (no lag from what I can tell)

- You can choose original or arranged music (not being able to do this in the Orochi Saga really bugged people)

- All that wonderful Engrish SNK is known for

Overall, it's a great collection. Sure, V Special, and RPG would have been nice, but I've seen the fatalities in V Special, and 90% of them aren't that memorable (if you want deaths you'll remember, play Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side). Nonetheless, it looks like the SNK anthologies for the PS2 are going out on a high note.

Anyone else getting this? Am I the only Sam Sho fan here?

My retailer listed SSV Special but it appears that's the old North American press-release. Ignition's official site doesn't mention SSV Special at all. This is a definite buy even without it but I was certain there was SEVEN games :'(

Ah well, I'm glad ignition is publishing these and seems to do a better job overall than other collections.. I'll get this in a few days.

My retailer listed SSV Special but it appears that's the old North American press-release. Ignition's official site doesn't mention SSV Special at all. This is a definite buy even without it but I was certain there was SEVEN games :'(

Ah well, I'm glad ignition is publishing these and seems to do a better job overall than other collections.. I'll get this in a few days.

SSV Special was going to be ported to the PS2 a while back, but it was canceled. The going rumor is that this happened because SNK wanted SSV Special to remain a Neo-Geo exclusive due to its being the last game released for the system.