Final Fantasy IX - Freya's Theme / Burmecian Kingdom

SaxxonPike

This is a remix of Freya's Theme from Final Fantasy IX. It's also pretty much a remix of Burmecian Kingdom, since the two songs are very similar - makes sense if you've played the game. Of the keys from each song, the one from Burmecian Kingdom sat best with the bass so I used that one.

There is a particular chord around 3:17 that I can't help thinking is incorrect. The string section contains the correct notes from the melody, but they don't sit well with the chord...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?n2zbd5whnww (320kbps download)

http://www.sanxion7.com (streamed on-site via SoundClick player)

Hmm, no responses?? For shame!

Okay, I'll DL this track and check it out...

Clipping issues to begin with. Gotta use a Limiter if you don't have one. Good bass and beat - but they both need to be reduced in volume by a few DB. Nice choir, the piano is a bit too mechanical gotta humanize that stuff a bit. Sweet cut off effect, as well as cool side-chain FX).

However, I think that the beat needs some variation - the four on the floor thing is kinda dull, that's just me though.

I didn't detect any chord issues here.

BUT The thing that's working the most against this track, is the lack of change in textures and over-all feel. The OCR judges LOVE it when you can change up the soundscape (without losing direction like I often do, lol). Either that, or cut our a minute and a half or so.

So yeah, this has someof work to do, but it's not a bad start - hopefully someone with better critiquing skills can explain this better than me.

Downloading... big file... got it.

I can hear the themes, but I think the beat kind of distract the theme, hard to feel the true emotion flow. So I guess I think it's a bit of a cold mix. Feels more like a experimentation of grooving beats. I'd add some more breaks and be a little more diverse. And in and out fading can be a bit annoying too. But you have a really good ear for listening out music and alternating the themes.

Overall, don't listen to me, I am not fan of this kind of music style. So keep on trying what you do! Just trying to help.

I would add diversity as mentioned above and make the overall progress of the track more interesting. Maybe add some more self composed music?

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

Clipping issues are due to the MP3 compression; the original WAV mix is limited to -0.5dB. The heavy compression and "pumping" is part of the sound I was going for, actually. There is no clipping or unintentional distorting in the original render.

I really dig the idea of breaking down the percussion a bit more and adding fills, and will definitely consider it in the next edition.

The piano patch I am currently using isn't really velocity sensitive so it will definitely lack in depth especially when it is compressed in the mix as it is (which is also the sound I was going for, but the piano patch itself isn't varied enough - I may just instead find time at the studio and record someone playing the lines for me.)

As for adding original material, I half-agree. While there isn't much in the original to go on, it was definitely designed to be background music and nothing too prominent to distract from the game itself. Maybe I could take their chord progression and write something around it...

Great suggestions so far.

Just a quick listen. I like this very very much. I don't really recognize it - I just played and enjoyed FFIX in January, but seems I either can't remember Freya's theme (although she was pretty much my favourite charachter).. or this is really interpretive. :)

I like the rigid piano. I like the "coldness".

After around 01:00 until about 02:20 the pumping feel becomes a bit too much, I feel a little nauseated. I guess the same goes for the when the string chords come back in later (chorus?).

Yeah, good stuff. The pumping is a huge issue (I get that it's intended, it's just too much, just tone it down in the chorus), but otherwise this sounds extremely good, so I'm not worried.

Thanks for sharing!

--Eino

When I began to listen to this mix I was stoked to find out where the mix would go after the repetitive, but interesting intro, and then I found that it wasn't the intro. The repetition of this mix is way overdone. I get bored after about a minute, hear what I think will be a change in the mix's direction, and become disappointed to hear the same similar arrangement, albeit with a cleaner and deeper sound. The other thing that bugged me is that the source is buried under the bass and the first time I heard the song I didn't know when it began.

My suggestion is that you turn the base levels down a bit, get some more variation with the percussion, bring out a little more of the source tune, and maybe add a few sections with lulls in the bass so that the source becomes more apparent.

Overall interesting work. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

However, I think that the beat needs some variation - the four on the floor thing is kinda dull, that's just me though.

Yeah, I would say change stuff up around 0:35, especially the piano.

After around 01:00 until about 02:20 the pumping feel becomes a bit too much, I feel a little nauseated. I guess the same goes for the when the string chords come back in later (chorus?).

I got that same feeling with the strings.

2:55 onwards really shines, but it feels like there should be some serious soloing or other audio action floating amidst the wah-wah-wah-wah, drifting where it will, unconstrained by the fixed beat or cyclical effect. The little variations with the piano after 4:30 should be present earlier, in my opinion.

Very nice, so far. I need to re-educate myself on the sources, though.