OCR01822 - Donkey Kong Country "Flying with the Funk"

djpretzel

As far as my (in)experience goes, I'm gonna put aside the fact that I'm in no position to criticize that level of performance & attention to detail whatsoever.

I'm just going to describe how i felt about it.

This is a genre which I was familiar with quite some time ago, and this piece immediately pulls me back in time.

Man you gotta love those insane synths, & sick beats. The first 4 measures already gave me the chills.

The tweaked & watery funky guitars coupled to the melodic atmospheres were designed for instant win.

And that purposely semi-fuzzy synth bass that add the final 'dirty' note to counter-balance the whole feels right on point.

Only drawback for me is the really abrupt ending, but then again I might still be too 'green' to see all the subtility behind each choice made.

I ain't got the technical knowledge to discuss this over, but I certainly loved the remixer's approach on the source tune.

Yes, always pleased to hear a new DKC mix! Actually, I think DKC was the first game to which I ever bought the soundtrack, and Kong in Concert is still probably my favorite project, to date. But I digress...

When I started listening, I was expecting another Aerofunknamics, but Flying with the Funk is it's own beast. Lighter in tone than Aerofunknamics, Tweek has also done this song justice. I especially like the crunchy brips and brrrpppzzzz throughout. ^_^

wow cool man! You know its funny you mention that remix I did in your write up...I was never really happy with it, but after magfest and this comment I see how much people actually like the track. Although my wife dont like it too much hehe.

But your track is very sweet, crisp clean production and sounds. Arrangement is top too, keeps the listener intrigued. Keep it up!

I'm not totally enthusiastic about this. But let me say that's just me.

I'm reminded in some places of ye old OC remix gold in years past, which for me is a good thing.

It's not the arrangement but the fact that I can't make out a lot of the original melody. It's there of course, I just like to be able to hear more of the source when I listen to a remix. Again, that's just me.

Fantastic arrangement, though. Good, pumping sounds make this an exciting and adrenaline derived mix. Kudos!

Thanks to everyone for the comments!

I ain't got the technical knowledge to discuss this over, but I certainly loved the remixer's approach on the source tune.

Experience or no experience, that was a solid review mate; thanks a lot!

What's absent harmonically is here in the timbres and rhythm. Ear candy.

Much love Mattias! I have never been a theme writer, but rather a mood setter. I hope you're in the mood ;).....

Wooow. I absolutely love low-fi ish tracks like this, and this a great example. Hell, I don't even know the source at all, and I still dig it.

Cheers mate. I highly recommend the source tune. It's definitely a favorite of mine!

Lighter in tone than Aerofunknamics, Tweek has also done this song justice. I especially like the crunchy brips and brrrpppzzzz throughout. ^_^

Man, I'm happy to hear that you feel like the original has not been completely butchered! The "crunchy" bits were a new experiment of mine and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Wow, a new DKC remix for my 21st, thanks Tweek :P

Happy b-day mate!!! You should know that I engineered the release of this mix so that Riccardo's b-day would be celebrated in style ;-). Have a happy 21 and thanks for the kind words!

You know its funny you mention that remix I did in your write up...I was never really happy with it, but after magfest and this comment I see how much people actually like the track.

Dude, that's the truth. Your track was simple, but powerful to me! Thanks for the inspiration in the first place :-)!!

It's not the arrangement but the fact that I can't make out a lot of the original melody. It's there of course, I just like to be able to hear more of the source when I listen to a remix. Again, that's just me.

Absolutely mate. This song/style isn't for everyone and I totally understand wanting to hear more of the main riff. Some songs just have it a little more buried in the textures and dynamics than others. Thanks for popping in and leaving a review! Building stronger themes is always a challenge I face and I'll certainly remember this for next time!

That was some hot stuff. Simplistic and doesn't attempt to be anything unique. It just straight-up tries to rock out, and the rockoutage works brilliantly.

Glad to hear the "rockoutage" was sufficient for you, Bryant ;-). I tried to produce copious amounts of rockage and I'm glad to see that it may have worked! Thanks duder!

But it's too early for Administrative Professional's Day!

Soon, my love, soon :-).

Thanks for all the great comments everyone. They are all greatly appreciated!!

Actually to tell you the truth, it took me a minute to figure out where this came from because I've only listened to Funky Kong's song all the way through like 3 times total through my lifetime lol. That crazy ass swelling stuff at the beginning is tight as hell. Love the beat work and the synths lay nicely with the mix as a whole. Good shit from Tweek as always =).

Loved this mix since I heard the WIP back in its infancy. Great to see it completed and posted. :)

To be honest, i was expecting something different from the title. But boy, was I surprised! (in a good way of course)

Drums are killer, and that synth lead is absolutely delectable.

Great work Audix!

Er, check the front page again, Sir. ;)
You mean they are different people?! I'd never fall for that; that joke was played out in like 2001.
Different people? It goes further than that. In fact Global Empire is a one person/3 alt mix.:tomatoface:

Funky Kong is a lovable character, and his theme has only made him that much more endearing.

Initially, I was thrown off by this take on the song, since it takes a fairly different approach than bLiNd's. While the synths rock, and the drums keep it going, I just don't feel the connection to the source very well. Separating the song from any inclinations toward the source, I find it very enjoyable and a great listen, it has that awesome winding texture going that just slowly pulls together, releases a little bit, pulls closer together, and then explodes into awesome.

The source material is one of those sacred childhood videogame tunes that always brings me back, so it will take time to see if this grows on me.

Whoooo, this mix is equal to three scoops of raisins.

Been listening to it quite a bit since yesterday.

It would be nice to get more tracks as upbeat and "wanna kick your ass" as this.

Great job over all. I love the drum work. The first 50 seconds of this mix remind me of the scene where Goku goes Super Saiyan 3, then once it hits :51, it's all like "GUNDAM!"

Yeah... I want more of this caliber of musecks.

RMX is awesome :)

That's the damn truth! I've never looked back since :).

Drums are killer, and that synth lead is absolutely delectable.

Thanks mate, the drums were a lot of fun to work with and I think they turned out decently in the end!

That crazy ass swelling stuff at the beginning is tight as hell. Love the beat work and the synths lay nicely with the mix as a whole.

Rashad, you are too kind as always! The swelling stuff was a very different direction for me to go in with this mix. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Different people? It goes further than that. In fact Global Empire is a one person/3 alt mix

SHHHH!!!! You're going to give it all away. And if it's true, then I just replied to my own post, meaning that I'm talking to myself.......

Glad you liked the piece mate!!

I find it very enjoyable and a great listen, it has that awesome winding texture going that just slowly pulls together, releases a little bit, pulls closer together, and then explodes into awesome.

It's all about the textures, baby! I'm glad you enjoyed the track, mate!

Whoooo, this mix is equal to three scoops of raisins.

I was hoping, at best, that it would have two scoops, but to hear that it has three....wow :)!! I only hope that if we meet someday, that you're not going to "wanna kick my ass" ;)!! Thanks for the comments mate!

Liked a lot of the sound design choices, though the synth lead in the chorus didn't work that well for me, for some reason.

Well Vinnie, there's no accounting for taste ;-). That synth is one of the sounds that people either love or hate and truthfully, I'm not even sure why. I was getting similar response in the WIP phase, so I just had to had take the plunge, as it were. However, I'm happy that you found other areas that you enjoyed in the track!

I'm liking the synth lead. Like the interpretation of the melody :)

Thanks for the kind words, Brian. The melody interpretation is a little liberal and, in reality, it borrows a lot of ideas/melodic themes that bLiNd did in his original!

Not much of a fan of the part between 1:30 and 1:55; a little too grating for my taste.

But other than that, this is a really good remix.

Haha, my first attempt at a "synth solo" and that section is precisely the section that you didn't prefer. I can certainly see why. even listening to it now, I can see a few things in there I would change next time around! I VERY much appreciate the honesty, Martin! I am very happy that you enjoyed the mix!

l enjoyed it a lot and l liked it how you interpreted the original.

Thanks a lot, Brook. The original has always been favorite theme of mine, and having the chance to reinterpret it and have so many people listen to it is quite an honor and privilege! You can certainly expect more craziness from me in the future!

Once again, thanks for all the comments! It really is an honor that I don't deserve!

Cheers all!!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01822 - Donkey Kong Country "Flying with the Funk"