*NO* Animal Crossing 'Rockin' the Crossing'

Liontamer

Recognized some parts here and there; need some help for a breakdown; sounds liberal - LT

Remixer: Sixto Sounds

Game Remixed: Animal Crossing

Track Remixed: K.K. Rock

***Project Track!!!***

This is one of four tracks I did for Joe Cam's Animal Crossing project. I wanted a very driven rock style down to its purest form; loud guitars, pumping bass, and pounding drums. I think I achieved that pretty well. This is also the first time I ever tried using a slide. It's hard. Much harder than it looks. Anyway, rock out accordingly.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The judges below basically confirmed everything I thought about this mix, i.e. way too liberal. Fun track, but outside of OCR's arrangement standards. No hate, but that's 1 Animal Crossing mix that was too conservative, and now one too liberal. I'd love a AC mix from you on the site, Juan, but we need a happy medium. :lol:

NO

I'm sorry, I just don't get this soundtrack. The voices! They hurt my brain!

Here's my breakdown:

0:00-0:04, 0:06-0:10 - similar to guitar at 0:00-0:02, but different in notes and rhythm

0:23-0:32, 0:35-0:45: verse melody

0:45-0:52: chorus melody

0:56-0:58: guitar lead-in to chorus

0:58-1:02: chorus melody

1:17-1:24: verse melody

1:36-1:38: guitar lead-in to chorus

1:38-1:44: chorus melody

1:48-1:50: guitar lead-in to chorus

1:50-1:54: chorus melody

2:40-2:42, 2:51-2:53: guitar lead-in to chorus

Giving Sixto credit for all this stuff and rounding numbers in his favor still puts this pretty far below passing, about 37%. So it basically comes down to whether you give him credit for the chord progression, which he altered a little but keeps for nearly the entire song. I always have difficulty with decisions like this, but in this case, I thought it wasn't a particularly unique progression so it wasn't a good enough connection, and 37% direct source is too little to make up the difference. Could easily see this swinging the other way, so I wish you good luck (feel like I end up on the wrong side of these more often than not). It's a pretty tight song, as I expect from you at this point. :smile:

NO

• 2 months later...

I have to side with Vinnie here. The chord progression in the source is so cookie cutter it could be pretty much anything. No one would listen to this track and say "man, cool arrangement of that Animal Crossing track!" even if they knew the track inside out. I think you could've used the main chord hook from the source in a better way. K.K. actually plays some notes after the initial two 8th notes you really could've used to connect it more to the source both melodically and using the rhythm. During 3:17-> you try to hint to the song melody in the rhythm guitar but I think it's too altered to count that.

Production is all around great, playing is super tight but I just can't sign off on the arrangement. Sounds great though, really looking forward to the Animal Crossing project. Between this and your other Animal Crossing sub I can get my dose of non-OCR style awesomeness for sure. I bet the other remixers involved are fantastic too.. damn you making me anxious.. :nicework: but yeah, ANYWAY

NO

I can totally hear the chord progression, and the melody comes out very strong as the source some of the time, but I have to agree with AnoSou in that I wouldn't be able to discern the track except for a few segments, and I have spent more time with KK than most.

I absolutely love your production, and there are a lot of great additions and details added to the track, super strong execution.

The track owns, and I am really excited for the project, but it's a bit too far out of the realm of OCR. Sorry dude. :-(

no

• 1 month later...

Well, been listening to this on repeat for a little while; afraid I'm with the majority on this. It rawks, but its just too indiscernible. The chords are used I agree but its a pretty unoriginal riff so it could be a lot of things without more melody in there. Plus you changed up the riff anyway (to make it more interesting I'm sure, which is fair enough) which kinda makes it even harder to say what it is. Gonna be a nein from me.

I don't need to tell you that it's still a highly polished ass kicking machine, but thats what the former half of this sentence just revealed.

NO

Also, stop watching Crossroads so much.