PlayStation 2

prophetik music

edit: so before i was ninja edited, this was supposed to be a thread about what ps2 games i'd get.

ps2 games only (i'll play eboots on my psp for ps1 games). i own a great pc and a 360, so i don't want games that have appeared on anything microsoft.

i like:

-certain japanese rpgs and most american rpgs

-action/adventure games with interesting gameplay

-uniqueness of all kinds

-awesome stories

-excellent graphics

-likeable characters

i'm already getting chrono cross, ff10 and 12, and probably shadow of the colossus. i might get some of the GTA series. what else should i get?

i should point out that i'm getting these because i'm starting to collect different systems and the defining games for each console. i've got an original xbox, a psp, a 360, an n64, and now a ps2. i might get a gamecube at some point, but you get the picture. i would prefer games that are experiences, not just something to pass the time (aka, madden games).

edit:

so, lists.

will probably purchase from someone (sale/want thread ftw):

mgs 2 or 3

might purchase:

ico

disgaea

purchased:

kingdom hearts 1 and 2 (ebay, 18$)

ffx/ffxii (ebay, 30$)

ffx2 (ebay, 8$)

okami (gamespot, 16$)

shadow of the colossus (gamespot, $13.50 - black case!)

god of war 1 and 2 (gamespot, part of the buy 2 get 1 free deal...around 15$ considering that)

ps2 games only (i'll play eboots on my psp for ps1 games). i own a great pc and a 360, so i don't want games that have appeared on anything microsoft.

i like:

-certain japanese rpgs and most american rpgs

-action/adventure games with interesting gameplay

-uniqueness of all kinds

-awesome stories

-excellent graphics

-likeable characters

i'm already getting chrono cross, ff10 and 12, and probably shadow of the colossus. i might get some of the GTA series. what else should i get?

i should point out that i'm getting these because i'm starting to collect different systems and the defining games for each console. i've got an original xbox, a psp, a 360, an n64, and now a ps2. i might get a gamecube at some point, but you get the picture. i would prefer games that are experiences, not just something to pass the time (aka, madden games).

Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 perhaps? Maybe also Zone of the Enders 1 and 2, and Katamari Damacy. I'm sure there are other good suggestions that I'll think of later, so these are just off the top.

GET SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS.

Seriously, it's probably one of the best games ever made for Ps2 ever.

Also, Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner (NOT the first one) is pretty epic. Tales games (Legendia, especially, for good characters) are good, Kingdom Hearts is good, FFX f'sho, Devil May Cry 1 and 3 (skip 2), Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria for unique gameplay and interesting story (though playing VP: Lenneth first is strongly recommended).

Lot's of greats out there.

If you can hunt down Suikoden V, I'd recommend that. Some people would recommend the God of War or Devil May Cry series, but those might have been released on Xbox systems too (I have no idea about Xbox releases 90 something percent of the time). Star Ocean: Till The End of Time and Wild Arms 3 are supposed to be good, but even though I have both, I haven't played either too much since I've been focused on other games. Of course, if you don't have a Gamecube, Resident Evil 4 is worth a play, but...it's not for everyone in some way, lol.

I would actually argue against Disgaea because you have too much stuff going on in your life. As much as I love Disgaea, it is a huge timesink.

I do like a lot of the other recommendations, though. Also, God of War is another really popular action game, this time with lots of gratuitous violence.

Another random one: the PS2 does house the best collection of Dance Dance Revolution games. Yes, you feel silly at first, but it's a ton of fun once you get over it.

Ico should be must-get too.

--Eino

I was about to mention this. A lot of the other recommendations are great as well, but Ico is an absolute must if you can get your grubby little hands on it.

I'll also mention Way of the Samurai if you want something fun and unique. The combat takes some getting used to, but there's a lot of depth there. It also features multiple paths and a variety of different endings. Think of it as a choose your own adventure story with samurai.

Chrono Cross is PS1, not PS2.

The Disgaea series was good.

i know, but i like the visuals SO much...

ok, so MSG is a good call, and okami is one i want to play but i forgot. the enders games look interesting, i'd have to try them out. i'm not into the persona games. kingdom hearts and the GoW series are two IPs that i don't want to miss out on. i forgot about x2 also (i know it's short, but i liked the initial game so much. and it's cheap).

ico's one of those mixed-review games. i'd have to read some more about it as well. it's artsy, which is something i like. maybe disgaea. i don't like shmups, i'm horrid at them.

Tales of the Abyss, Okami, Persona 3 and 4, Wild Arms 3, and maybe 4. Not 5 though. 5 was pretty bad. Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 and SMT Nocturne (good luck finding those), SotC, Ico, God of War (if you like action games), Beyond Good & Evil (if you haven't already played it on something else), Shadow Hearts Covenant and Shadow Hearts From the New World (my highest recommendations; these games are awesome).

There lots of cool compilations like Capcom's Midway`s Taito's but I dont know if they are available for the psp, I recomend getting hot Shots golf fore! and Pinball Hall of fame The Williams Collection, to name a pair different.

Btw, watch my best shots on HSGF on youtube!!! :lol:

EDIT: I think the Williams collection is available for the psp, still, get the golf game.

Katamari Damacy, Kingdom Hearts(1 and 2), God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Dragon Quest VIII, and The Mark of Kri.

Katamari for the sheer brilliance and quirkiness.

Kingdom Hearts for their stories.

God of War for the brutality.

SotC for its awesome battles.

Dragon Quest 8 for its intriguing story.

The Mark of Kri for its innovative combat system

My $0.02

Ace Combat 5 (Flying)

Ace Combat Zero (Flying)

Alien Hominid (Run 'N Gun)

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (3D Action)

Contra: Shattered Soldier (Run 'N Gun)

Dragon Quest VIII (RPG)

Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 1 (Fighting Compilation)

Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2 (Fighting Compilation)

Final Fantasy XII (RPG)

Gradius III&IV (Shmup Compilation)

Gradius V (Shmup)

Guilty Gear X2 (Fighting)

King Of Fighters XI (Fighting)

MegaMan Anniversary Collection (Action Platformer Compilation)

Metal Slug Anthology (Run 'N Gun Compilation)

Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum (Fighting)

Okami (3D Action)

Onimusha (Survival Horror)

Onimusha 2 (Survival Horror)

Onimusha 3 (Survival Horror)

R-Type Final (Shmup)

Raiden III (Shmup)

Rygar (3D Action)

Samurai Shodown Anthology (Fighting Compilation)

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 29: Monster World Complete Collection (Action RPG Compilation) *

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II Special Extended Edition (3D Shmup Compilation) *

Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 33: Fantasy Zone Complete Collection (Shmup Compilation) *

Shadow of the Colossus (3D Action)

Shining Tears (Action RPG)

Silpheed: The Lost Planet (Shmup)

SkyGunner (Flying)

SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1(Compilation)

Soul Calibur III (Fighting)

Taito Legends 2 (Compilation)

Thunder Force VI (Shmup) *

Twisted Metal Black (Car Battler)

WipeOut Fusion (Battle Racing)

*= Japanese Import

Action RPG generally refers to games like Zelda, Beyond Oasis and Landstalker. In Shining Tears, you walk around various battle fields attacking enemies and bosses in real time with your sword and magic, and do it all in an isometric view perspective. However, you also upgrade your weapons, armor, stats, and so forth like you would in an RPG. There are a lot of story elements as well, with plenty of dialogue.

And when you consider that the game has something like eight endings depending on which partner you spend the most time playing the game with, it's got plenty of replay value to go with the 20-40 hours it takes to play through once.

I'm not sure if anyone's suggested it yet, but Tales from the Abyss is an amazing PS2 game. It's very much an RPG, but the battle system makes the entire game.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/talesoftheabyss/index.html

I'm actually playing through this right now, and so far:

PROS:

-Amazing addition to Tales combat system, really well-though-out.

-The overlimit gauge.

-Interesting plot elements.

-Luke's journal: I LOVE being able to put the game down for a while, come back, and know exactly where I left off.

CONS:

-Weak, stereotypical characters.

-Weak overall plot. Too much macguffin-chasing going on.

-Graphics are low-quality and poorly animated outside of combat, which is unacceptable for a game that came out toward the end of its generation.

-Soundtrack is nowhere near the standards I hold for Tales games.

-The overworld map is horrific.

-No voice-acting in skits... why the HELL are there no voices in the skits!?

Yeah, I listed more cons than pros, but it's still a great game overall, imo.

EDIT:

Kingdom Hearts for their stories.

No set of characters has ever endeared itself to me like the cast of KH.

I'd second most of Coop's recommendations, but I'd like to extend one further.

Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies. It's older and more primitive than AC5, but it's still fun to play. AC04 tells its story from a rather unique perspective and features likeable characters in a respectable, though not complex, way. If you can find it, it comes highly recommended from me and it is a pivotal tale for the entire AC mythos.