OCR01823 - Gun.Smoke "Space Cowboy"

djpretzel

I love ilp0's work, and this is sort of a step in a new direction for him. Great attention to detail and construction, and some great variations and general ideas. I love the opening thick riff followed by the stereo pings. Nice guitar playing on a good theme, and lots of well thought out textures.

What really stood out to me on this track is how exceptionally good the panning ideas are. Often times people will use panning as cool effects here and there, but here, panning itself is almost like it's own instrument. Be sure to check this mix in headphones.

Great stuff, super recommended!

I like this. I like this a lot... It has a taste of megaman touch to it from the guitar music. The intruments flows perfectly and smoothly, not heavy, making it ideal and interesting to listen. Guitar, piano, & the rthym is perfect. You guys deserve a cold one that's for sure :D:nicework:8):nicework:

ROCKS! Awesome. What really strikes me here is the superb production. Amazing, crisp sound and mixing. You can really feel the grip of the low-ends. I also really like what you've done with the original. One of my favorite tracks from the NES taken to a completely different direction yet still maintaining the awesomeness of the original. Great and original arrangement. I've been working with this piece myself, so its always interesting to hear what other people get out of it.

AWESOME.

Alright, the mix definitely has some deep qualities here. A little bit of this and a little bit of that, with a great mix of backing sound running through the whole track. I have no idea how long the source tune is, but this definitely explores a variety of different ends to a classic "spaghetti western"-inspired piece

The piano lead that comes in during the second half of the piece starts out really striking but I find myself losing some focus by the end of its reign. It feels kind of decaying, like an ancient statue in an overgrown baroque garden - when the piano starts I feel like the nature is overwhelming everything man-made in a maze of green. At 2:40, it's like time suddenly freezes or slows down, and I'm left watching as the head of a statue finally succumbs to the throes of erosion and gravity. It lacks any malicious texture, but it still represents the loss of humanity within a place formerly held in great esteem by mankind.

Sorry for the bad example. Interesting mix though.

---------------- Now playing: ilp0 - Gun.Smoke Space Cowboy OC ReMix via FoxyTunes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I am seriously glad I came across this track. I remember my brother playing this game (and generally sucking at it, not like I would have done any better), so I did a quick check of the source. What ilp0's done to the source is quite awesome, and worth checking out.

There is certainly a Cowboy Bebop feel to this, whether the use of the various styles, or the instruments (piano at 1:50 really feels Kanno-ish), or the general awesomeness of this mix. OA is also right that headphones make a difference in listening to this one.

Recommended, especially after a long and somewhat frustrating day.

There's a lot of subtlety to this song past the booming guitar, particularly in the piano, that I happen to enjoy a lot :-) That's what I love about ilp0's mixes - he captures your attention with one element at first, but on subsequent listens there's a lot of hidden gems for the listener to pick out, as well.

Edgy, refined, and definitely jazzy - this is why I love this man :-D

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Yeah, "futuristic western" describes this song pretty well. Right from the beginning I knew this song was going to be badass. These brutal guitar chops in the beginning are awesome, then you've got some weird distortion thrown in, and later some typical ilp0 jazzy/funky things appear. So this song can't be bad! It's just great.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01823 - Gun.Smoke "Space Cowboy"