Star Trek

Wacky

The night before the movie, me and two of my friends watched Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Kahn, and Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home, kind of our way of preparing for the movie.

That was definitely, one of the finest films I have seen.

The effects were great, the acting, superb, by EVERY person involved. I'm not a die hard Trekkie, not in the slightest, but I have enjoyed the films, and a few episodes of the shows tremendously.

I do have one friend who was complaining about what they were doing with the film (as far as I know he hasn't seen it, and yes, he's a Trekkie), I only hope that he'll wake up, and just enjoy the film.

Any who, this is THE summer movie for me, now all I need is UP, Terminator, and Transformers, and I'm set.

Go see this movie first chance you get,

YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!!

As a full-blown Trekkie, I was extremely satisfied with this movie. It was fantastic. I agree that some of the science stuff was off the mark (especially the explosion thing), but that's always been part of Star Trek, so you have to take the good with the bad.

Speaking of bad, TYLER FUCKING PERRY AS THE COMMANDER OF STARFLEET?! I audibly groaned in the theater.

Other than that, it was so great. Highly recommended.

EDIT- I just read Ebert's review. Yeah, what a grumpy old man reaction to the movie.

If you haven't seen it yet, you should rectify that flaw as soon as you can. Acting was great, it was paced very well, it was a nice length too for that matter at 2 hours and 6 mins. Great FX. Humor used tastefully throughout, serious moments were believeable, and a great plot for a reboot.

All around an awesome film.

The only things I didn't like

-Nero is an intensely forgettable antagonist

-There are some rather glaring plotholes, plot omissions, and flat-out parts of the story that are utterly forgotten over time

-The most nonsensical UI design I have ever seen... but that's more a matter of professional pride

Other than that, the hardcore trekkie in me was thoroughly satisfied...

Although the timeline is going to splinter Trekkies into a full on Civil War. Believe that.

Nero was so terrible because the movie was about introducing the new cast, so it was impossible to develop him.

This was just the setup movie. Paramount has already green-lit a sequel, and we all know what that means: Klingons. Holy cow, that will be amazing.

SPOILERS!!!

As for the timeline, what this means is that everything that we've known about Star Trek has changed. The destruction of Vulcan in the past isn't undone, so the future (TNG-Voyager, and even TOS) is totally different. Depending on how far they take this thing, we'll see just how different.

As for Nero, I think at least his story was tragic. They really couldn't do too much unless they put his side of the story, adding some 10-20 minutes onto an already lengthy movie. A bit strange that a silly mining vessel could take out some 19 Klingon Warbirds and 6 Starfleet vessels. Isn't that Borg territory?...

And as for plot twists and some plotholes, I think it's pretty much typical Star Trek.

Even for the red goo... typical crazy "Vulcans did it" plot device.

As for Nero, I think at least his story was tragic. They really couldn't do too much unless they put his side of the story, adding some 10-20 minutes onto an already lengthy movie. A bit strange that a silly mining vessel could take out some 19 Klingon Warbirds and 6 Starfleet vessels. Isn't that Borg territory?...

There's a 4-part comic book tie-in called "Countdown" where they expand on Nero's background. Bero was a miner, and his wife was pregnant with their son and on Romulus when it was destroyed.

As for Nero's ship, it's called the Narada, and in the future, it was just a mining ship. But after Romulus is destroyed, Nero goes to a secret Romulan base where they've been working on a new ship. The ship incorporates stolen Borg technology which is why it's so formidable. It also has Nero's original ship inside of it; basically the spiky ship you see in the movie is a shell fit around the original ship, which is why it's so big (which is why he even has a drill, it's from the original ship).

I see, it all makes sense now. I think the movie would've been much more complete if they showed some aspects of that, but I guess it would all fly over Star Trek virgins' heads. It'd be nice if the Bluray/DVD has that story inclusion in it too.

Speaking of bad, TYLER FUCKING PERRY AS THE COMMANDER OF STARFLEET?! I audibly groaned in the theater.

Are you fucking kidding me?

That was like the best part.

As soon as they showed him everybody in the theater just laughed.

Hilarious. Didn't even have to say anything.

The only part I thought was bad was right in the damn beginning.

Was it really necessary to show George Kirk flying towards the camera when he crashed into Nero's ship?

So dumb and messed up.

What's so dumb about the most heroic act in the entire movie?

I think he meant that it was dumb to show George Kirk literally fly towards the screen when the Kelvin hit the Narada. I agree with him, it did cheapen what otherwise was an excellent opening.

And yeah, the whole comic book tie-in is pretty weak, but like you said, it's more for the Trek fans. Otherwise, as soon as they started talking about the Borg, about 3/4 of the theater would have fallen asleep.

I have never seen or watched an episode of any star trek publication and I thought this movie was phenomenal

I am in the exact same boat and am in complete agreement. I'm aware of the clichés of Star Trek, and they hit those in the movie beautifully. I liked the cast overall as well.

Spoiler ahead maybe.

I really wish they would've used the Star Trek theme somewhere in the movie. I really, really, thought it was coming up right before the end credits, but then it just jumped back to the mediocre score.

Spoiler ahead maybe.

I really wish they would've used the Star Trek theme somewhere in the movie. I really, really, thought it was coming up right before the end credits, but then it just jumped back to the mediocre score.

Were we watching the same movie? Because that's what they played during the credits. Or at least the first half, with the space panoramas and big name actors.

Saw it at the local IMAX, and god, I loved it to pieces. I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said about it, so I'll just leave it at that.

Does this mean we're finally going to see Medea Goes to Space?

Yes, Yes it does. And I had no idea that was Tyler Perry.

And honestly, I don't think it was that big of a deal, he was only in it briefly.

And was that Winona Ryder playing Spok's mother? Could've sworn it was her...

Otherwise, as soon as they started talking about the Borg, about 3/4 of the theater would have fallen asleep.

Yep, I would definitely fall asleep, I don't know why, but when I watch the past Star Trek movies, The Borg is always the main enemy, I frankly got tired of it fast.

Though I did like it when they used the term "assimilate." hehe.

Anyways, I'm going to SEE this Tonight!!

Looks like I want be disappointing either, that's always a plus.

Anyways, I'm going to SEE this Tonight!!

Looks like I want be disappointing either, that's always a plus.

Yeah, you won't be disappointed dude, not at all. And go see it in Imax if you can, I won't because there isn't a theater around my area that has one, but I'm sure it's even better in that.

Me either. I think it's because I'm just not used to seeing him outside of drag.

Good point.

SPOILER....

Who was that green skinned girl (is that an Orion chick?) that Kirk was making out with? She was pretty hot. I've seen one site say it's Diora Baird, but I'm not sure that's correct. I didn't ever hear her name in the movie anyways...