Star Trek

Wacky

f it didn't have that label, I would've mildly enjoyed it

This attitude is retarded. I've seen it applied to any popular franchise, from Final Fantasy to Star Wars to Resident Evil. "It's a good movie/game/whatever, but it's not a good Star Wars/Resident Evil/Final Fantasy/whatever."

What a thing is called doesn't change its quality. If it's a mildly entertaining action-y sci-fi flick, then it's a mildly entertaining action-y sci-fi flick regardless of whether it's called "Star Trek" or not. Maybe it's not the movie you wanted to see when you heard there was a new Star Trek movie coming out, but it's still amusing, isn't it?

Edit -- also, agreeing with the "Transformers didn't have enough giant robot fighting" sentiment. The last few minutes with all-out fighting on the city streets were awesome, but the whole damn movie should've been like that. (I imagine that the reason it wasn't was because it was horrifically expensive to film action shots. Oh well...)

This attitude is retarded. I've seen it applied to any popular franchise, from Final Fantasy to Star Wars to Resident Evil. "It's a good movie/game/whatever, but it's not a good Star Wars/Resident Evil/Final Fantasy/whatever."

What a thing is called doesn't change its quality. If it's a mildly entertaining action-y sci-fi flick, then it's a mildly entertaining action-y sci-fi flick regardless of whether it's called "Star Trek" or not. Maybe it's not the movie you wanted to see when you heard there was a new Star Trek movie coming out, but it's still amusing, isn't it?

It does change its quality. From a general filmmaking standpoint, it's mediocre. Then the title says, "This is also Star Trek." Well, if it gets everything wrong about Star Trek, it's obviously going to lose points for that.

It would be like if I hired you to remix the main theme of Chrono Trigger and you gave me Legend of Zelda. The remix may not suck from a musical standpoint, but it isn't what I paid for. I don't know about you, but most people are going to be annoyed they didn't get what they paid for even if what they get is not horridly bad.

Or perhaps a better way to put it would be if a teacher assigned you to write an essay on Lord of the Rings and you wrote one on A Christmas Carol. Are you still going to going to get an "A" because your spelling and grammar are passable even though you got the topic wrong?

Even still, "mildly entertaining" is not "fucking awesome! go see it!" as seems to be the general sentiment.

It does change its quality. From a general filmmaking standpoint, it's mediocre. Then the title says, "This is also Star Trek." Well, if it gets everything wrong about Star Trek, it's obviously going to lose points for that.

So it's not one of the better Star Trek movies. It's still a decent movie. The fact that other Star Trek movies are better don't make this one bad.

It would be like if I hired you to remix the main theme of Chrono Trigger and you gave me Legend of Zelda. The remix may not suck from a musical standpoint, but it isn't what I paid for. I don't know about you, but most people are going to be annoyed they didn't get what they paid for even if what they get is not horridly bad.

Except that you know it wasn't going to be "classic" Trek going in. That's the whole bloody point of the movie. So it's less like asking for a CT remix and getting Zelda and more like someone making a CT remix and you saying "hey why'd you change the CT main theme I liked the original better".

Even still, "mildly entertaining" is not "fucking awesome! go see it!" as seems to be the general sentiment.

Well, congratulations, your opinion differs from other people's. It happens from time to time, especially on the internet.

The new Trek was good. If you expect the old trek watch the old Trek. Here at OCR we should ALL know about remaking things! It isn't going to be the same, period. But it wasn't a disappointment.

The only beef I had with the movie was a plot critique: Why did Paramount hire lazy people who weren't die-hards to write the script? My meaning: We change time, thus the Star Trek universe in Star Trek 1-6 is mute. The new story now dosen't have to obey ANYTHING those older 6 movies say happened in their past, the can change everything... bummer... so now it is like we have 2 Original Star Trek universes :roll: .

So it's not one of the better Star Trek movies. It's still a decent movie. The fact that other Star Trek movies are better don't make this one bad.

Except that I disagree that it is a Star Trek movie beyond the name. It's not just that the other movies are better, which for the most part they are, it's also that this movie essentially dumps everything that was good about the Star Trek franchise simply because the people who made it did not want to conform to that universe. If you don't want to be bound by that franchise's universe, then don't use it.

Except that you know it wasn't going to be "classic" Trek going in. That's the whole bloody point of the movie. So it's less like asking for a CT remix and getting Zelda and more like someone making a CT remix and you saying "hey why'd you change the CT main theme I liked the original better".

That would be the case if the movie remained anywhere near the original, but this does not. We've all heard remixes that stray so far from their source that you can barely tell they're connected, some of which that start to sound like something else.

And like I said, if you think "classic" Trek is so broken that you have to fundamentally alter all the characters and the universe in which they live in order to make it work, why bother? Saying there's too much canon to worry about is a pathetic excuse to write their own movie and use the brand name to get people to see it, when it would otherwise be ignored.

Hell, if you're going to change everything, at least do it for something more than some cookie cutter rebel without a cause stumbles into his Destiny by besting some incompetent revenge-bent villain who happens to have some superweapon plot. If you're going to turn Kirk into an obnoxious prick, at least do something original and have him refuse Pike's offer outright. Go somewhere with the idea that not having a father figure could affect someone so much that whereas before they were concerned with duty and honor that in this universe, they'd just as soon see the world burn. Make it a battle for Kirk's soul as much as anything.

Better yet, do the reverse. Stick to the optimism and idealism that Star Trek always embodied and make Kirk grow up to be exactly the man we knew despite a broken home and a broken universe. Make Nero so bent that he spends 25 years scattering the TOS crew to the wind because he wants them to live pathetic unfulfilled lives wishing for something better, but because of Future Spock and the people that they are, he just can't seem to succeed until it comes to a head where he decides "fuck it all" and decides to just destroy as much of what they loved as he can.

Of course if they really had balls, they would have done a true prequel and conformed to the universe as we knew it, but I know that's asking way too much of Hollywood.

Well, congratulations, your opinion differs from other people's. It happens from time to time, especially on the internet.

Yes, my opinion differs, and I'm perfectly within my rights to argue for it, just as you are for yours.

snip different opinion

I think that's great and all, but I thought this thread was to discuss rationally why you like or dislike the new movie. In essence, everyone's opinion is valid, and to argue about right and wrong on a purely opinion matter just qualifies as mildly annoying entertainment for the rest of us.

Having said that, I personally was quite impressed by the movie. I think the time-travel plot elements, though somewhat swiss-cheese like, were well done, and passable enough to qualify as a good start to a re-telling of Star Trek.

p.s. the green chick was hot. Doesn't anyone else think so?

p.s. the green chick was hot. Doesn't anyone else think so?

Yes, I said that several pages ago... :razz:

And I had no idea that that was the chick from Dumb an Dumberer, the blonde haired girl Jessica, and yes, I enjoyed that movie as well as the first one. Not as good, but still gets a good laugh for me....

Lotd2242, dude, we get it. This new Star Trek film was not what you wanted, and the general opinion of most of the people here that saw it thought it was awesome. Instead of this thread being a discussion between all of us on the film, it's come down to your personal feelings of the movie. I'm not trying to jump on your case, but c'mon, how many dead horses are we gonna beat here?

Sure, it is a generic Sci-Fi film, but hey, I knew this wasn't going to be like other Star Trek films, and to be quite honest, I embraced it. I'm sure you didn't go into that movie expecting it to be that way either. I understand that Star Trek is a series/franchise you hold dear, but don't make like it's been taken away from you like I've seen so many talk about Star Wars (and I WILL NOT GET INTO THAT, BLECH!). Has it ruined Star Trek? Not for me in the slightest. Who knows? It may get people interested in it again.

The only series that I recalled ever being in the limelight, was Next Generation. Sure there were plenty of others afterwards, but I haven't watched a single one of them. That might be me being short sighted, but like I said back at the first of this thread, I just never got into Star Trek. It's only been these past few years I watched it now and again. And I'm sure those other series were probably just as good if not better than TNG.

Let's just put this to rest, Lotd2242, you didn't come out of the film satisfied, fine, that's not a big deal at all, you said why, that's fine. As far as anything else, if people are just calling you dumb or whatever, just ignore it, it's your opinion, everyone else has one too, so so what? This thread is like watching reruns page after page.

Lotd2242, dude, we get it. This new Star Trek film was not what you wanted, and the general opinion of most of the people here that saw it thought it was awesome. Instead of this thread being a discussion between all of us on the film, it's come down to your personal feelings of the movie. I'm not trying to jump on your case, but c'mon, how many dead horses are we gonna beat here?

It has been a discussion between "all of us" on the film. You don't see me randomly picking new people posting in favor of the movie and saying "you're totally wrong; this movie blows ass." Some people have made various assertions and addressed me directly with them, including you. Since I disagreed, I responded with my difference of opinion when they raised points that were worth discussing.

I posted my negative review in one post, people disputed my view directly to me, and I gave them the respect of a response where appropriate. I'm not stopping you from discussing the hotness of the green chick despite being perplexed that they managed to find the one Orion slave girl in the galaxy who was not a slave in the movie. Or from moving the discussion in any other direction. So stop complaining that I'm the one beating a dead horse because everybody in the thread has their own reason for why I'm wrong and chooses to address me specifically with it rather than simply state that/what they liked about the movie or move on to something else.

Ok now that I'm awake, here are actual thoughts about it.

For starters, I think that if Paramounts goal was to broaden the audience, they succeeded in spades as I brought two friends, one of which was familiar with Star Trek and another who was totally ignorant other than people telling him that the series sucks and out of the two, the second one enjoyed it the most even going so far as to call it his favorite movie of the year thus far. For me as a Star Trek fan, I'm glad that they were so enthused by it that I could toss in snips of ST lore here and there.

Secondly, I loved the fact that they were able to keep so much of the lore in tact while expanding on the universe like the Vulcan academy and such. The fact that the actors played their characters so well was also great. I loved Scotty, Kirk and Spock, but I think I loved Sulu, Chekov, and McCoy much more in this incarnation.

This really is Star Trek as it was meant to be. Would gladly see again and I want a sequel: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Nero.