OCR01072 - Last Ninja "8-bit Kamikaze"

djpretzel

Yeah...it's not Square or Nintendo, so apparently it SUCKS. Ha, that's what you get for remixing obscure games. :P But yeah, seriously...it's too bad, people these days just don't realize the importance of REAL ULTIMATE POWER.

I like the bassline you got goin' here...awesome synths, too. Percussion's groovin'. I also love those stereotypical "Asian chords" that come into the background later. Makes me remember mah roots. ;)

But yeah...awesome stuff, Gecko. You oughtta be proud of yourself. Yeah, go ahead, you know you want to...give yourself a pat on the back. C'mon, you can do it...yeah...oh...OHHH, there it is. Ohhh, yeah...doesn't that feel good?

Okay, so...um, yeah. I'll go away now.

I think the oriental flavor in this may replace the Oriental flavor ramen as my favorite thing with that flavor! =P Okay... maybe not... and a bad pun. But I did enjoy the mix. Nothing earth-shattering, to be sure. It could be something right out of a game soundtrack itself, but at least it'd be an /interesting/ and well-done track right out of a game soundtrack.

No other comments? That's it?

Sad but true. I think this is a great remix and everyone should download it and see for themselves. As already said, its got a great bassline and the "asian cords" give this song a type of ninja environment. Around 2:03 it starts to pick up and really gets ya groovin'. Truely an awesome remix, keep it up Gecko Yamori.

Finally, another C64 remix that sounds very strong. It is not only SID synth and oriental sounding, but somehow also groovy with some very cool soundeffects. To me, this is a very pleasing remix that is very nice to listen to. Great stuff for all of the Last Ninja lovers out there.

Bring on some more C64 vibes!! :D

Incredible remix. Awesome ninja vibe. Unbelieveable tunes and sounds. This is SWEEEEET!

A real C64 feeling with absolutely perfect arranging and melodies and everything. There´s not much to say about this remix because it´s so sweet! One of the best remixes on the site definetly. I spent last night just listening to this song over and over again.. and it keeps getting better!

In the scale of one to ten this is eleven.

So I´ll give it 5/5

:)

NINJA!

Okay, first off I must reply to djpretel's comment on the song, "...and this ReMix holds its own with the very best of the other Last Ninja mixes in existence." First of all, I must commend you for being first on OCRemix to have a Last Ninja song as it is more popular than people think. However, for him to say the best in existence is overexaggeration. Don't believe me? visit http://lastninja.c64.org/ also check out http://www.puffy64.de/ and http://www.acc.umu.se/~amber/LastNinja/. I'm not putting you down, but I'm just saying. Anyways, for your remix, I like the sound. The start got me thinking of an intro to a Jackie Chan movie, which is about right since its got the chinese sound for this japanese based game. (Ninjas are japanese, not chinese, a common misconseption of Ignorant Americans and Europeans, though now not a common problem.) The music is Groovin', though I would have expected either a solo, or a little more variation to the rhythm. Its just a basic remix style, more like an upgrade from C64 standand. If you were to remix another, I would say give us the Last Ninja on PS2 or X-Box feel. Just my opinion.

I Rate This Remix : 7/10 C+

Hm... after listening to this mix, I have to say I enjoyed it. The bass was exceptionally cool. I loved the opening. The drums come in soft, and then they build in the mid-30 second range. Shortly after, some cool guitars come in and around 1:18 a second guitar comes in. The real power of this song comes from it's ability to meld beats and music in a beat. Very cool.

Around 1:50 we begin to see our tune building, and at 2:03, the ninja-esque element of the mix comes in. Awesome. I loved this.

There was a bit of a problem with this mix - this is just me being picky, though, the synths for the song sounded very high-quality at points, and then some samples seemed very low quality. If the low quality samples could be replaced with higher quality ones, this mix would be even higher on my list of favourites.

On the whole, I'd give this mix about an 7.5-8.5/10

Very cool, stylish, good beat - a couple of little things I didn't like, parts where the music seemed to go too high into the treble area - but on the whole, a very strong mix, and I'd recommend downloading it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Was just checking this out again; played this on my show way, way back. Very phat stuff, and I love that funked-out lead during the first section. Nice work, changing up the flow throughout the track, Dan. Everything here was pretty solid, and I'm glad I heard this one again. Definitely deserves much more attention then it's getting, but I hope it's gotten a hot response from the European side, since they appreciate these mixes more.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

"Whoah" to the third power. (Or with a dramatic echo, if you prefer.)

Not a bad remix. Not bad at all. Not quite as fun as Puffy64's, but it's hard to say exactly what makes this so interesting. It sure sounds epic. Definitely got that "Real Ultimate Power" thing down somewhere there.

(By the way, LN1 and LN2 have - as the writeup says - tons of remixes; I wish there were more remixes of LN3. LN1 soundtrack is ninjaesque, LN2 soundtrack is modernly ninjaesque and rocking, LN3 soundtrack was just plain *moody*.)

• 2 years later...

Great intro synth; I love that sort of fade in intro with a cool sound and a good pattern. The synth bass is pretty static though, but the beats are pretty hot, and the lead synth I am digging.

Recently i've gotten way more into the synthetic side of things (mostly because my orchestra samples are jacked), so I can really appreciate some well balanced and good sounding synthwork.

The track overall is a bit repetitive, but it's very enjoyable with some pretty good production, and a generally funky vibe. The ending third is the most creative and interesting, i'd say. The ending was somewhat weak, but overall this is a really nice track.

• 10 months later...

This is one of those rare tracks that I can listen to all night and never get sick of it. It kicks some serious ass. One of my favourite mixes on the site. The melody is a perfect fit for the type of mix this is; a song that slowly unleafs and blossoms before unveiling its true splendour. The beat is warm, the notes are colourful, the result is a very well-made, calculated piece of synth music that I absolutely adore. Fantastic work on all parts. It's well worthy of excessive listening, so get to it, people.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a great mix of a great tune. It retains enough of the feel of the C64's SID chip -- in particular in that funky, dirty bassline -- but isn't afraid to roam a bit further afield with the embellishments. I wish there were more C64 -- and Amiga -- mixes on here, and I wish they were all as good as this one.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01072 - Last Ninja "8-bit Kamikaze"
  • 3 years later...