Assassin's Creed 2

Abadoss

hey, mark your spoilers, nubclown.

my argument about mirror's edge was that i wanted that fluidity of running - the roll-on-impact, the smooth jumping, the variety of wall moves - in assassin's creed. it was so simplistic (you held rt and a to do bloody everything) that it bothers me now. in a post-ME world (i know, but for me it was a big deal), you need that kind of running style. i hope they implement it.

I'm with you Proph. I loved Mirror's Edge and I expect nothing less from every free running game that comes after it.

Are we talking about the same Mirror's Edge? Mirror's Edge was so linear that it caused me physical pain. That was actually one of the few things that Assassin's Creed did right; the locations were convincingly open and wonderfully three-dimensional. You could leap from rooftop to rooftop in a nicely nonlinear fashion, as opposed to Mirror's Edge, which had more of a "find your way through the maze" feel than a "freerun your way across the city" feel. Granted, Mirror's Edge's movement was a lot smoother (if you did it right) -- but that's because it was literally the only thing to do in the game.

I was referring to actual movements not the gameplay. Mirror's Edge was too simple in that aspect (get from point A to point B). But in PoP and AC I can't even choose which beam I want to jump to or which edge to grab. The game just assumes everything for me and that really gets on my nerves. Even moving people out of the way "JUST HOLD B" I was expecting a more exciting experience where you had to time the button presses just right to push people out of the way. Just holding the button is too passive.

In the end it's really just which type of game your prefer. I don't mind if a game is somewhat frustrating because it requires a little more precision or few more button combos to work. I like Ninja Gaiden more than PoP even though they do the same moves because I feel like I have more control over those moves in Ninja Gaiden than I do in Prince of Persia. Same thing with Mirror's Edge and Assassin's Creed. There are just too many things that I want to be able to do on my own that the game won't let me, it really kills the experience for me.

EXAMPLE:

Obstacle- A very high wall with beams sticking out of it to climb on.

in Assassin's Creed- Press A to jump to the first beam. Then hold A and push forward to continue up the wall. If you look left or right during this process, you will jump off the wall and die.

in Mirror's Edge- Press R Bumper to jump to the first beam. Turn to look at the next beam, then press R Bumper again to jump. Turn and look to the next beam...etc

It seems like AC is just removing the more annoying/remedial parts of the game, but it kills the immersion and reduces the skill needed to accomplish the task. I personally think it cheapens the gameplay.

from a post on the official AC forums.

"Sooo I'm looking at the new Game Informer right now, and it tells a few thing but only has one new image, the one we already have, the 5th one.

- You'll have a ton of new weapons to choose from including an axe, a hammer, a mace, a spear, 2 different sword types, a spear axe thing, and 2 smaller blades

- You CAN swim

- Da Vincis workshop is in the game

- Locations include Saint Marks Basilica, The Grand Canal, The Little Canal, and the Rialto bridge.

- The game opens in 1476, Altair is from 1191

- So you do indeed play as a new ancestor of Altair / Desmond

-You will see the countryside of Tuscany

- The "Auditore" family is mentioned

- The main characters name is Ezio Auditore de Firenze

- He is a nobleman of Florence

- Big characters are in the game including Machiavelli, Caterina Sofrza, and Lorenzo de Medici

- YOU DO INDEED FLY AND THERES A PICTURE OF IT.

and thats just what I got from the pictures. I'll let you know more details as I read more.

- Game will feature a new notoriety system that governs how enemy soldiers and people will treat you.

- You can disarm enemies and use their own weapons against them this time.

- each weapon has a special move.

- 16 unique mission types.

- No more ease dropping or pick pocketing missions.

- If you get beat up to much you will need to see a street side doctor to regain ful strength.

- Hidden objects (like flags in the first one) are there to uncover but this time if you track them down you will get in-game bonuses that make it worth your time.

- Items include, flags, statues, and gold coins and more that isnt mentioned.

- New enemy types with unique attitudes and weaknesses are present in the game. Archers are mentioned, as well as elite enemies, dagger wielders, "Brutish" armored troops with heavy armor and 2 handed swords and axes, and an intelligent halberd enemy will probe hiding places with their weapons if they think you're near by.

- While hiding in a hay bail you can assassinate people this time, but it may expose your position.

- You can still climb towers and ride horses

- The Lorendo de Medici assassination is in the game.

- There is now a night and day sequence in the game.

- 240 people are working on this title."

this sounds really, really good.

Everything about the first one sounded good, too. It was one of the more over-hyped games in the recent times.

That being said, I really liked the first one. And Mirror's Edge. Maybe I just have some odd taste in videogames.

YOU DO INDEED FLY AND THERES A PICTURE OF IT.

Wait...what?

Also, here's a picture of the new protagonist.

assassins2.jpg

He doesn't look ANYTHING like Altair. Nope. No way.

Everything about the first one sounded good, too. It was one of the more over-hyped games in the recent times.

That being said, I really liked the first one. And Mirror's Edge. Maybe I just have some odd taste in videogames.

Wait...what?

Also, here's a picture of the new protagonist.

assassins2.jpg

He doesn't look ANYTHING like Altair. Nope. No way.

He totally has 10 fingers.

question for you guys:

what the hell is freerunning

it seems to me that there are at least a couple different definitions that people are using

Freerunning generally refers to the art of parkour, that is, using athletic and acrobatic skill to traverse distances and structures without descending to street level, or just to do things that look cool.

To be more specific I guess you could say that you look at your environment not in terms of obstacles but rather in terms of alternate paths.

It's a skill used by street performers and the like to draw audiences and make some money to pay hospital bills when they inevitably bust their nuts on something.

I've never played Mirror's Edge so it has no bearing on my opinion of Assassin's Creed 1 (which I haven't finished). But Altair does have all his fingers, I have watched his hands closely in the pan when you synchronize the map to reveal more of the area you're in.

I just wish he'd stop fucking crouching like he's taking a piss. It bugs the hell out of me.

Fighting in the game...was not as fun as it was in Splinter Cell (Ubisoft is responsible for both the SC series and Assassin's Creed, but that's like common knowledge), but I did like the one-hit-kill counter moves Altair had...when he wasn't repeating the same move 100 times in a row.

It also annoyed me that if you got on a horse you would immediately switch to your sword and it wouldn't revert to your hidden blade or curved knife upon dismount. I blew like 12 stealth kills like that and decided it'd be funnier to push people to their doom.

• 2 months later...

Like a lot of people I liked Assassins' Creed initially then got a little bored and frustrated with some of the repetitiveness so I stopped playing after a while. Recently I started playing again and finally beat it and yes was disappointed with the end and all, but I did like the story and of course me being a little biased I loved the setting (hey how many games take place in a middle east setting that's not a war FPS or have a muslim as the main charater?) I'm actually interested in the history of the crusade period now.

I appreciated the game for what it is, a good stealth action game. I just wish that collecting the flags would have unlocked something...maybe that was something they left out so they can rush the game out. I did go back and play some of the assassinations because I royally fucked up on a lot of them and actually wanted to assassinate them not fight 20 gaurds and then "assassinate" the target. I can't wait for the sequel and I hope they have some hidden secrets in the game like extra weapons or extra missions.

• 2 weeks later...