OCR01073 - Super Mario RPG "Waltz of Pain"

djpretzel

I could just burn this onto a cd full of classical music by some you know Beethoven, Mozart, those stuff, and people would just think it was just another classical musical composition...hahaha, its from a video game!

A great theme, taking one of the sad tunes from SMRPG, and turning it into Beethoven-like music...seriously...just listen...it is da bomb!!!!!!!!

hmm...i already posted a reply in the Remixs in Progress thread about this one!

But i decided to post once more :P

This remix is really a classical masterpiece, it had me sitting there with my eyes closed, absorbing the music as i do when i listen to classical music. Really awesome piece, and i totally agree with maplejet that this could fit in with the great genius composers like beethoven and mozart at the time! I know this one is gonna go onto a future cd that i might make! It would be good for road trips...cause i could get lost in this song foreeverr!!

AWesome job...keep it up!

-Vlad

Can everyone say, "instant classic" or "masterpiece"?

Well, they better, or else shame on them... :)

This is among my new favorite remixes.

I love almost any kind of music, as long as it's not cheesy and has heart to it, that's what this has... heart.

I love it... not in that "I'm taking you home to meet my parents" way, but you get the idea.

Good stuff from Blak Omen & Dhsu. Keep up the good work guys.

Just a tip... you feel like this was classic music because the original song was already a remix from some classical music. But can't recall if the author was Beethoven or Mozart. I think it was Beethoven. So this song is the remix of the remix. :wink:

(If the MRPG song can actually be called a remix, that is. )

Nonetheless, the song rocks!

:)

Btw, I have nothing to do with Mythril Nazgul. It's just mere coincidence we use similar nicknames. I used to use lots of different nicknames, but now I just stick for two nicks. Mythrill is the one I use most. Another difference: "Mythril Nazgul" is female, and I, "Mythrill" (two "ll"s) am male.

Just a tip... you feel like this was classic music because the original song was already a remix from some classical music. But can't recall if the author was Beethoven or Mozart. I think it was Beethoven. So this song is the remix of the remix. :wink:

(If the MRPG song can actually be called a remix, that is. )

Are you positive? I'd be very interested hearing the original composition...I'm sure Beethoven's version is many times better than ours. O_o

Anyway, anyone who wants a copy of the original sheets that Blak sent to me, you can get 'em here:

Waltz of Pain sheets

Or if you want the high quality version...

Higher quality sheets (2 MB)

And here's what they sound like (included in the high quality sheets):

MIDI file

DISCLAIMER: I made a LOT of changes to the original arrangement, so don't expect it to sound exactly like my version. You're free to try out your own improvisations and stuff...but just be aware that results may vary. I'd be interested in hearing what people come up with, though. :)

Well, I wasn't aware that there was an original "Sad Song" before SMRPG - if anyone knows what it is I'd like to check it out. ^_^

I wrote this piece basically quite structurally, the original source was only about a minute. But immediately when I heard it in game I knew that it was a fantastic song and was surprised to see that nobody had mixed it. So, I did it myself.

I wrote this quite a while ago and I'm glad it didn't get in first time. Listening back the version I submitted was horrible.

The song itself is divided into theme, variation 1, variation 2 and development and ending I think.

And I love Chopin, he's my favourite piano composer. Ever. So fantastic.

Any questions about the arrangement I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks for all the support! ^_^

Damn... When I posted.. everything dissappeared... well, here we go again..

Despite my bad english I just have to say what I feel about this remix. Every time I open the OC Remix start page I have a small hope that a new piano arrangement is out. And the first sentence from djpretzel goes like this: "Quite the good solo piano arrangements we've seen lately". I didn't read another word, I just throw myself on the download button. (I read the rest later of course).

I think I listened to it three times in a row, and raised the volume a little more for each time. Just... wonderful. If my vocabulary was better, I would have said a lot more, but... Well, i like it, very much! :D

Can't wait for next piano arrangement :)

The original theme sounds quite original to me, and this arrangement is actually very good in terms of the classical theme & variations style.

If anything, it reminds me of a motif from Schumann's Piano Concerto in A minor. Other than that, I see no reason why it can't be somewhat original as the sound is easy to imitate.

I'll prove you that this IS classic music. Just wait a while.

I already commented on this at VGMix, but I just gotta say that this song is fabulous. This fits the huge gap on OCR as well, as there are very very few classical piano arrangements on this site (I don't consider my style classical at all). Also, speaking from a classical pianist's perspective, this song blew me away, as it is very intricate and complex, while providing great emotion, and the sense of direction is clear: they knew what he was doing. Black Omen's arranging, Dshu's playing, along with some of his flair, and MC's rendering go together quite well. A great inspiration and motivation to see people making things like this, and for games haha!!

Very genius and well thought out. Don't hesitate to download this one..

this reminds me of the "Blackbird" WIP you (Dhsu, or i think it was you...) posted awhile back.

not as depressing, but certainly hits that button. and always very good.

another good song to kill yourself too, im beginning to wonder where the motive for such depressing music comes from....

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01073 - Super Mario RPG "Waltz of Pain"