DKC + 2 - Mining Melancholy/Life in the Mines (Submitted!)

Sockpuppet

Pretty minor differences here...

I like the few changes you made with the exception of Lockjaw's theme, I thought it sounded much better in the last version. The harp just blended too much into the background for me; I liked it when it was stronger and easier to distinguish. Just a thought.

P.S. Don't submit just because you can't think of anything else for the backing as of right now! Your rate of improvement has been great, keep tweaking it until you have no doubt.

I like the few changes you made with the exception of Lockjaw's theme, I thought it sounded much better in the last version. The harp just blended too much into the background for me; I liked it when it was stronger and easier to distinguish. Just a thought.

Well that's good, because I think the harp is what pushed it over the size limit. =)

P.S. Don't submit just because you can't think of anything else for the backing as of right now! Your rate of improvement has been great, keep tweaking it until you have no doubt.
O.K, I'll try. I think it might be easier if I do some experiments in a new Reason file and transfer it over when I've made something I like.

Thanks for your support! :-P

O.K, here's a little test-y thing I did. It's a separate Reason file so changing it or making a new one is no problem. I've included 10 seconds before to show the transition.

stats.png

Slightly different bass, synth part removed, and it now plays the harp's bit, different drums. I think it sounded better before but I'll see what everyone else thinks.

EDIT: Is there anything I can do to reduce the file size without significantly reducing the quality or length?

I notice that you are having problems with the file size. Frankly, wavs are like bitmaps - it doesn't matter what you do to the quality of them, the filesize will be the same if they are the same size. If the bitmap is completely blank it'll have the asme filesize as if it had the Mona Lisa on it.

Wavs are the same. If there is no sound on the file it'll have the same size as an equally long file that has all of your music on it. Mp3s follow the same principle (even though you CAN change the filesize through the 'quality' options), but changing the content isn't going to help the mix at all.

Hey, my recommendation is to speed up the file that you feel is the best up by a one or two bpms. That may get it to the 6 mb limit (as it'll make the song just a little bit shorter), and hopefully no one will tell the difference.

Check out my many, many posts of Sparkman here (I'm not advertising my music or trying to divert attention from your music - it just provides an excellent example of what I'm talking about with the filesize). The filesize only ever changed if the length of the song changed (like between v.2.0 and v.3.4), otherwise, it would be the exact same as the others before it (the bitrate always stayed the same, 160kps - I lucked out with my final submission, lol).

As for the mix itself, I liked the idea of combining the two songs together like you did. I feel that the instrument usage was a bit stale (as you used each instrument for the same purpose every time). I'd say it's on the conservative side of things and has an ever-so-slight 'medley-itis' feel to the connection of the mining song and the DK2 song (and from the DK1 mines to the DK2 credits, the reference to the lockjaw song, though, was brilliant, imo). It was a great mix, nonetheless; very clean and enjoyable.

I'd fix the transitions so the sections don't feel as slapped together and try to vary the instrument usage more; then it may have a shot with the J's (as long as the filesize is brought down :P).

Variable bitrate encoding (simply called "VBR') in most programs.

What are you using to encode it to mp3 anyway?

I'm using Audacity. I'll see if it has anything.

Yeah, it definitely sounded better before. Are you making these changes solely to try and get around the 6 mb limit?

Nah, I was just trying to add some variety. I'll change it back. =)

Regardless of the new issues that arose, this track is still godly IMO :D:D, you'd best submit this to thasauce and vgmix X as well, when you finish this one. :nicework:

Thanks! But aren't those 2 sites broken or something?

@Gario (your post is too long for quoting. :-P)

I can possibly fix 2 of those issues in one go: the size and the transitions. Maybe removing the "in-between bits" and putting in good transitions could make the song shorter and more like a single song.

As for the instruments...that could be a real problem to fix. >_<

• 2 weeks later...
As for the mix itself, I liked the idea of combining the two songs together like you did. I feel that the instrument usage was a bit stale (as you used each instrument for the same purpose every time). I'd say it's on the conservative side of things and has an ever-so-slight 'medley-itis' feel to the connection of the mining song and the DK2 song (and from the DK1 mines to the DK2 credits, the reference to the lockjaw song, though, was brilliant, imo). It was a great mix, nonetheless; very clean and enjoyable.

Damn, I just read your post again, and I must have missed that word the first time I read it. If this is too conservative, then I don't think I'm ready for OC yet... still, I will continue to fix up the ReMix and maybe submit it in a few months.

Ok, here's my reccomendation.

Export from audacity as a .wav. Then use razorlame to encode it to mp3. It's much more flexible in its options.

What you want is VBR encoding. Experiment a bit with the settings to see what works best within the filesize limit.

I haven't got razorlime, but I just realized I've got 2 bars of nothing at the end of the song. And fixing the transitions a bit could help as well.

Thanks for your help everybody, especially Geoffrey! :-P I'll be back when I think I'm ready I guess.

Dude, this sounds great. I love t he sounds you used in this song. I always loved this song from the series. Keep up the excellent work! :nicework:

Games: Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Sources:

, Life in the Mines, Donkey Kong Rescued

ReMixUPDATE 4!!!!!:stats.png

A ReMix of Mining Melancholy, Life in the Mines and Donkey Kong Rescued (Mostly Mining Melancholy though) made with Reason 4.

FOURTH UPDATE NOW UP!

Little update:

Bass at the intro is slightly different.

Harp bit added to first chorus.

Fixed transition from chorus to DK Rescued cameo.

Lockjaw guitar/synth is now a harp.

Hopefully fixed the comeback (2:21)

Still trying to come up with some new backing. If I don't come up with anything I may have just submit it as it is and hope for the best.:???:

The first version is here: http://www.tindeck.com/download/2d45373a26acd48d78d90109628aca9a/hoko/MonkeysInTheMines.mp3

Second version: http://tindeck.com/download/9c334281405d057342df186847ae6682/kjpi/MonkeysInTheMines.mp3

Third version: http://www.tindeck.com/download/8ee1b9f570d8d4c0509bb71e866dfbed/fckd/MonkeysInTheMines.mp3

Fourth version: http://tindeck.com/download/ff37f4d2ba836c55ef0f64fd2a2e40f3/dujt/LifeInTheShaftLane.mp3

I'm liking it so far. I really like the last 25 seconds, which show some nice improvisation around the original tune, you should really expand that section some more.

As for the filesize, I'd say that anyone who rejects a good mix over 0.02 of a megabyte has a few screws loose. It's not like this site is so pushed for space or bandwidth that it's actually going to make a difference.

I'm liking it so far. I really like the last 25 seconds, which show some nice improvisation around the original tune, you should really expand that section some more.

As for the filesize, I'd say that anyone who rejects a good mix over 0.02 of a megabyte has a few screws loose. It's not like this site is so pushed for space or bandwidth that it's actually going to make a difference.

Wrong. The limit is 6 MB, period. If it's 6MB and one byte, it's over the limit.

Fortunately, this is easily fixable with VBR.

As for whether the mix is OCR-ready.... I'm really on the fence here. I wouldn't be shocked if it got accepted, I wouldn't be shocked if it didn't; I'd say the latter is a little more likely, though.

Were I a judge, here are the grounds on which I might be inclined to reject it: while there is a lot of variation in the melodies, some very creative use of other themes, etc, it is still rythmically and structurally very similar to the original mineshaft theme.

However, I think it's reached the point where it's worth submitting. If it makes the cut, great! If not, the judges thread will likely be very useful in improving the track.

Good luck!

Wrong. The limit is 6 MB, period. If it's 6MB and one byte, it's over the limit.

Then perhaps it's time someone reconsidered that limit? We don't live in the days of dialup anymore, and religiously holding onto a strict byte limit we had 5 years ago doesn't seem to have any purpose anymore. These days, the 6MB figure should be a guideline maximum and nothing more. Of course files shouldn't be too large, but there are better ways of defining "too large" than using an arbitrary byte limit, such as considering how the size is used. If a track is 6.5MB because it uses a stupidly high bitrate, or because it constantly repeats itself, then it is definitely "too large". But if it uses the space properly, then what is the problem? I don't see why the judges shouldn't be able to make that kind of decision.

Sorry if I sound like I'm picking an argument here, but I really do wish people would show a little more common sense sometimes.

Freakin' killer, much better transition. Good luck on the submission, and as GT said, if it's rejected they will likely give you some great crits to help you push this to the next level. Awesome as is, though.

BTW, before you submit would you kindly post the final version? I'd like to have it to listen to over the months it might take to go through the judging panel.

Stellar arrangement man, I'd love to see this get posted some day.

I can't really say much on the production side of things because I wouldn't have the slightest clue what I was talking about, but as far as arrangement goes, I think you're pretty much set.

I do think it would be cool to get someone like Tepid or a similar-styled guitarist to record the guitar live though, I think that would bump up the song quality a notch.

Best of luck with the judge's panel!