OCR01827 - Tales of Phantasia "Summoned Without Reason"

djpretzel

I was totally on board, but the the guitar tone at the beginning of the solo lost me a little. It didn't seem to fit the soundscape, but it did make me sit up and take notice. Good stuff, and cool to hear that Sixto's production was really rockin back in 2006. The violin solo was great, and with the exception of that one guitar section, everything clicked.

Nice work as usual. :-D

I don't know what unholy pact you had to make with Satan to get that guitar sound at 2:00, but it sounds like it was worth it. The violin totally caught me by surprise (in a good way). For some reason, I really like the drums on this one too, despite their simplicity.

I've got this image in my head of Sixto sitting in his studio working on this song, trying to resist the pull of his guitar like it was the One Ring, but finally giving in and letting rip on it.

• 7 months later...

Sixto really killed on Summoning of Spirits... four absolutely stellar tracks all in their own unique style. That being said, I think this one is the weakest of the bunch, stylistically-speaking. The violin adds some flair to it, and it is arranged very intelligently but compared to his other mixes it seems a little generic. It's a stellar track for sure and probably still one of the best ones on the album, and that's saying something about Sixto's level of talent, creativity, and commitment :-P The only thing you can really compare this to is the other three tracks that Sixto himself contributed. Keep at it, dude!

EDIT: Also, this hardly even needs to be said because it's basically assumed of his tracks by now, but Sixto really tore it up on the solos here. Just considering that sole aspect of the song, I actually think this might be his strongest effort on the project :-D

You know, I was really looking forward to a version of this particular source tune with the Tales project - it's easily one of my favorites from the original.

With that said, I can't help but have a little disappointment with Sixto's approach here. It's very synth driven, and not in a good way. The synth has a sort of weak sound in terms of attack, and certainly isn't as effective as if say it focused more on his guitar playing.

Now don't get me wrong, this is still nice in some ways, but I felt like Sixto could've done better with this track. That's right, high standards for Sixto!

• 2 years later...

Everything about this song is great. It captures the adventurous feeling of the source and translates it into a song that would be better played over monster annihilation (unacceptable to use if you gain less than 15 levels in all the slaughter) than just wandering the overworld. The touch of violin is appropriate, and really brings everything together. Beautiful song and easily one of my favorites of Sixto's. Fantastic work, man!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01827 - Tales of Phantasia "Summoned Without Reason"