OCR01076 - Tales of Phantasia "Emotions Lost in Time"

djpretzel

I have to say that I really really love this song, its extremely powerful whether you played the game or not. Whether the beginning is too long I really dont have an opinion, its great but then I can listen to COTMM's Ruined World repeatedly and its a 6 minute long soundscape.

I really do enjoy the "techno" in the middle, but then I really dont like most techno so whether this is technically impressive or not it doesn't really matter to me, it sounds great and I am actually happy that it doesn't follow some stupid formula to sound like every other techno/trance piece ever created, which is the problem with that genre anyway. The fact that the song has parts where it breaks up into piano is its strength and some of the best Techno/Trance tracks on this site have non techno/trance elements to them in my humble opinion.

GLL great piece one im going to be listening to for even years from now, thank you for that.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, this is a case of a mix that really uses the full 7 minutes it fills to great effect. The intro was excellent, and the track gradually builds; very effective transition, and it's handled expertly. Overall good stuff, I think the kick could have been a little punchier, but I had a great time listening to this one, and that's what matters. :-)

• 2 years later...

So I gather the extremely artificial-sounding orchestral intro was supposed to humanise the melody before it was turned into a trance hook, which is a nice concept, but it isn't really pulled off. The samples are weak as hell and the sound is dull enough that individual instruments just blend into a big noise-soup. On top of that, the storm FX add next to nothing in terms of atmosphere, so I could have done without them. The entire section seemed to miss its motive. It still belongs, and its well arranged enough that it doesn't become unwanted, but it wasn't treated correctly.

As for the trance section... yeah, it's perfectly amiable, low-tier trance. I had fun with it. The little additions with the piano keep things alive, and are probably my favourite part of the mix. Again, nothing sounds sharp enough, but its nothing worth crying over.

It's a well spaced, thoughtfully arranged mix, but damn those questionable production issues.

• 3 years later...

Aaaaaaaaand another favorite I never left feedback on. One of my favorite VGM tunes and the transition from acoustic (+rain) to electronic is just awesome. Also, the original melodic work is great. Great mix, one I've been listening to for a few years now. 

Would love to see bLiNd try this track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01076 - Tales of Phantasia "Emotions Lost in Time"