"On the Way to Destruction" Zero Wing Remix Project (all Your Base Are Belong to Us)

JustinC721

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=105

I spent about a week getting that part down of the keyboard. hitting 16th notes at a 163 tempo is hard on the hands.

The lead rhythm is played on a Yamaha Motif XS8 using Space Saw/Heavy Guitar/Comp Bass

I wanted to give the lead a more modern sound (as modern as synth sounds get) without sounding too techno. I'm worried that I might have overdone this a bit. So I wouln't mind some feedback. I do have a few mistakes, but they;re hard to notice.

The Bass is done through my keyboard's Arpeggiator.

I used a USB midi cable, and plugged it into my drum machine for the drums.

For the lead I'm considering using an actual guitar instead of another synth on my keyboard. I even have a few convincing guitar sounds on my Motif, but they;re not as good as the real thing.

And I'm not sure if I want to reduce the drums (or remove completely) in favor of the drum beat used in the "All Your base" Video.

For those of you who need a memory refresh, here's the All Your Base Video

too repetitive and muddy sounding.

This isn't going to be the finished part of it. This is just a sample of the main rhythm. Which is the hardest part of the song, and not something that I can do very easily so I want have a set Idea of the effect I use before recording for finshed product.

That one was probably take 80 or something.

Hmm.. The drums are way too flat, the whole tune sounds midilike, the E-Guitar and the synth are underdeveloped and i have to agree to the comments before its extremely repetitive. You have to work Hard to make a good remix out of it. Even the Source uses more variation... dont give up.

Your just at the start. Dont abide on the source and just make it the way you want it to sound.

Btw.. it would be nice to get some infos on what Kind of Samples and Software you are using.

Hmm.. The drums are way too flat, the whole tune sounds midilike, the E-Guitar and the synth are underdeveloped and i have to agree to the comments before its extremely repetitive. You have to work Hard to make a good remix out of it. Even the Source uses more variation... dont give up.

Your just at the start. Dont abide on the source and just make it the way you want it to sound.

Btw.. it would be nice to get some infos on what Kind of Samples and Software you are using.

Like I said before, this is just one clip of the entire song. When this is finished. it's not going to be that same verse over and over.

I'm still deciding on some other lead instruments (which is why it all sounds mid range)

I'll probably scrap most or all of the old drum beat in favor of the simpler synth drum beat in the video (boom, boom, boom, boom) I complex drum beat being played at that tempo just doesnt work I guess.

I'm going to stay mostly true to the 2001 flash video. There will be some changes. (perhaps a keyboard solo)

As for the samples/software I'm using.

The samples come from my Yamaha Motif (Keyboard), and the recording software used is Audacity. and I'm using a drum machine to play the midi files.

Also should the base be an octave lower?

With the drums, it sounds like you're coming in for fills about 2 beats to early. It's hard to tell exactly since the note changes on the bass are a little hard to hear. If you delayed you're fills for 2 beats they should end right before the note changes on the bass. Hopefully that doesn't sound to confusing!

http://ocrwip.fireslash.net/?fid=105

Updated

Please keep in mind that this is still in "rough draft" stage, so changes will still be made.

The intro is a bit sloppy, and the portamento should have been faster on the lead synth so it wouldn't sound out of time.

The main rhythm has been altered. I altered the effect, and changed the chords slightly to have more treble. I also put the lead using one of my guitar effects. I should probably slow down on the pitch bender because it sounds a bit artificial.

The drums have also been turned down a bit.

This song will be longer. I have to practice the other lead to this, and once that's done, I can work on the finished product.

Needs EQ desperately. Drums aren't near the beats (not always a bad thing, but they have to be relatively close to the natural beat or they don't work). You need much, much more variation. The entire song is Ab - C - D, over and over and over. It doesn't hold interest yet.

It's a decent start as far as the kind of energy you have, but this doesn't seem like there's much variation. Keep the energy and make it more interesting, then hopefully I'll be able to give something more constructive.

• 3 years later...

ahem http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30096 (my first remix)

due to the above i can no longer listen to stage 1 natols. :<

One of my favorite shooters, if i can get a few more things figured out, so my mixes are listenable, i'd jump on this album.

the music in that game was a killer. Too bad it was written off as a joke of a game thanks to the horrible intro translation.

lol. that was my first attempt using the guitars in Ministry of Rock.

I haven't listened to this in over a year forgot how painful it was, sorry about that.

This went through my head at some point during that mixing.

"Something is off, guess i'll boost 2khz about 20db. Yea that sounds good."

---5 min later----

"Y..u w..n..t so..m... p..n..c...kes?"

".....what!!!???"

Why not you B. Strades? Time problems? Who better than you? Someone who would turn this into a dubstep album? No thanks. :<

B. Strades for director!