Time Warner Cable Internet Rate Change

Hawkwing

Unfortunately, this is a major problem for most people. Many people don't have the luxury of being able to switch unless you live in a big city or the suburbs because you usually only have one choice for cable providers. If you live in a small town, you need the internet more than those in big cities because there's nothing to do.

Time Warner was already one of my least favorite companies before they did this. They'll probably get away with it, too because they're so big.

Man. That sucks. Don't you love it when big companies can pull this crap, because they essentially have a monopoly on the market?

I learned my lesson about Time Warner years ago when they gave us the run around with their cable service.

I might be misunderstanding how this stuff works, but doesn't it cost more for them to have customers who use more bandwidth? Grandma is probably paying just as much as everyone else, even if all she's doing is looking at cute kitten videos and forwarding chain emails. (Though not by any means do I agree with what they are doing.)

Bandwidth is a fairly marginal cost for residential internet services. The price of sending data over the internet (backbones) just keeps plummeting. And to add insult to injury, Time Warner is proposing this at a time when their cable internet expenses are significantly shrinking and their revenues steadily growing.

These two Ars Technica articles provide many other good points:

The price-gouging premiums of Time Warner Cable's data caps

Time Warner tries again, fails to justify caps and charges

Come live in Australia. Our internet speeds are pretty shit. Let alone the bandwidth caps. 5 to 40 gig is normal here.

Yes, it's no wonder your government just recently announced it's going to fund a public fiber network. From what I hear, Telstra was a near-monopoly in Australia, something that doesn't exactly spur competitive performance.

Bandwidth is a fairly marginal cost for residential internet services. The price of sending data over the internet (backbones) just keeps plummeting. And to add insult to injury, Time Warner is proposing this at a time when their cable internet expenses are significantly shrinking and their revenues steadily growing.

These two Ars Technica articles provide many other good points:

The price-gouging premiums of Time Warner Cable's data caps

Time Warner tries again, fails to justify caps and charges

Ah. That answers a lot of questions I had. Can't believe I didn't think to check Ars Technica myself. Thanks.

Unfortunately, this is a major problem for most people. Many people don't have the luxury of being able to switch unless you live in a big city or the suburbs because you usually only have one choice for cable providers. If you live in a small town, you need the internet more than those in big cities because there's nothing to do.

Time Warner was already one of my least favorite companies before they did this. They'll probably get away with it, too because they're so big.

Actually big cities are typically the worst. In Rochester, like I said before, it's Time Warner or Frontier. My friend from NYC said theres Optimum and that's about it.

A lot of Rochester, including Massa our Congressman, has shunned TWC. It hasn't stopped them at all. They don't have to stop, being as big as they are.

Also...on a side not...who changed my topic title???

i guess i'm just frustrated because there's no real reason for doing this.

Yeah there is, in Time Warner Cable's eyes, it means more profit for them.

i just can't see any way that this actually benefits time warner.

Yeah...see the above statement.

Actually big cities are typically the worst. In Rochester, like I said before, it's Time Warner or Frontier. My friend from NYC said theres Optimum and that's about it.

A lot of Rochester, including Massa our Congressman, has shunned TWC. It hasn't stopped them at all. They don't have to stop, being as big as they are.

So perhaps what this really means is that both big cities and small towns are both equally screwed in the cable department. Neat.

I am sorry for all of you. I am dealing with no small amount of ISP problems here but thankfully hope is around the corner for me. This is a case where people should be looking to smaller groups that might have access. RCN is an eastern seaboard network i think with ties in several parts of NY i know they are down as far as DC at the least. Bundled packages are the way to go at this point and if TW does pull this I am going to have a real hard time justifying watching ANYTHING under the WB banner.

Just so you know, under that logic you should also boycott AOL, New Line Cinema, Time Inc., HBO, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW Television Network, TheWB.com, UBU Productions, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Kids' WB, The CW4Kids, Cartoon Network, CNN, DC Comics, and Mohawk Productions (according to Wikipedia).

Not there's anything wrong with that if you choose to do so, but personally, I'd just stick with avoiding all services directly related to Time Warner.

Just so you know, under that logic you should also boycott AOL, New Line Cinema, Time Inc., HBO, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW Television Network, TheWB.com, UBU Productions, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Kids' WB, The CW4Kids, Cartoon Network, CNN, DC Comics, and Mohawk Productions (according to Wikipedia).

Not there's anything wrong with that if you choose to do so, but personally, I'd just stick with avoiding all services directly related to Time Warner.

That is a pretty horrible list for the most part.

I second this.

Also, will the rate change, once finallized, affect the entire nation or just certain areas?

I'm assuming that if they deem that the test cities went well with the capped tiers, that they will move on to more cities. Then, repeat the process till everyone's screwed.

----

So hey yeah to those living in North Carolina, USA...

In particularly Wilson City...

It looks like TWC is trying to screw you guys over by outlawing Community broadbands...

Time Warner Inc., after finally dropping its plans for metered internet services for the time being, appears to be back to its old ways. This story begins in Wilson, North Carolina. Wilson is a small city of about 47,000 residents located in the middle of North Carolina, roughly 45 minutes east of Raleigh, the state's capital.