OCR01828 - Super Metroid "Heat Vision"

djpretzel

I like this mix. It may not have the Shariq polishing, but it definitely has the Shariq core. I think that the amazing thing about Darkesword's mixing style is that he can turn any song into an enjoyable memory. Heat Vision doesn't lose that sparkle for me. It does sound a little more incomplete than the rest of his mixes, but the "feel" I get from his remixes was still there.

Keep 'em coming Darkesword! :<

Bravo!! I love that use of the piano :) and the breaks transitioning into other sections were brilliant

Intro took me off guard as really off beat while all the different layers set in. But that's what I get for not listening to much jazz.

wtf STOP MAKING ENJOYABLE MUSIC THAT EVERYONE CAN RELATE TO!

...so frigging annoying...

In all seriousness though this was a pretty good rendition. I was expecting something like power-metal-ish kick you in the head lead and some kind of cranky-sounding audio, but instead was treated to this smooth-talking streetwalker who just scammed me out of all my money and made me like it.

So. Damn. Good. Yet another phenomenal mix by DarkeSword.

I noticed about half way into it that I was compulsively tapping my foot. I really like this one and I can tell it's only going to grow on me.

I thought it was very creative where it went at 2:10 and even more awesome how it leads back in at 3:00. More piano work might have been cool but I wouldn't dare say there is a lack thereof. I also liked the cutesy outro. Great job.

Loving it.

Seriously sweet - the rhythm and strings all worked together to make it dramatically engrossing but still completely hip.

The only thing that weirded me out was the whistling - while there was nothing wrong with the timbre's authenticity or whatever itself, I thought, it felt very out-of-place in what was besides that a rather dark piece. I also thought the third rendition of the first part really lacked the punch that pushed it past being repetitive.

Still, pretty good overall. The arrangement was a tiny bit off, but overall it was very fierce and thrilling. I absolutely loved the intro.

to be honest I think it works without the "left hand" piano action... its interesting that it sounds quite forboding. Bringing in too much might have made it sound too instrumental, as it stands, it kinda... leaves me teetering on the edge a bit... cautiously. It stands well. not sure bout the "whistling" part tho.

I've always liked how DarkeSword can keep the melody easily recognizable while giving it a radically different feel than that of the original track. For instance, it doesn't have the oppressive vibe of the original but manages to keep a nice sense of familiarity despite the new twists. A few elements kinda make me think of FF4's music... cool stuff.

Oh man, I'm loving this from the first second and everything after. I've become more familiar with the Metroid series music, and I'm loving what's been done with this. The beat itself is very laid back, yet still conveys the mystery behind the melody. This one is highly recommended.

A little bit jazzy, a little bit space opera, this this is a really cool and unique sound for OCR, and it still has that distinct Darkesword quality to it. Some parts almost give me a FF6 OST vibe, mainly the bass and that slidin' synth, while the choir-backed sections were distinctly Metroid.

DS is bringin' it, and i'm groovin.

Solid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Gotta say, I love those arpeggios. Also, the swing rhythm caught me off-guard the first time I heard this one, but not in a bad way - it fits the rest perfectly. This is one of those where the flow of the song goes almost uninterrupted throughout the entire piece. While I've said that, keep in mind the second section, where the strings and other unnamed instruments come in. While that is in the original, it just doesn't seem to quite fit with the first half. It does well on its own, but not in conjuction. Nevertheless, it's still not that bad a fit. I really loved the part at 2:10 - you had a nice lead-in to it, and it was a very nice segment on its own. This one was nicely put together, and is reminiscent of the original (while still proudly declaring its variations) enough that anybody who's played this game, or Metroid Prime, or any other of the Metroid series that has this in it will absolutely LOVE this mix. While a fade-in doesn't really match other songs, or just sounds completely out of place, in here, it actually matches the piece nicely. I liked how you could hear the woodblocks still as the rest faded out - it went together very nicely. Great remixing, Darksworde! 9/10! This is seriously a piece that any lover of music should add to their collection.

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01828 - Super Metroid "Heat Vision"