Hooking up a ps2 with component cables

EdgeCrusher

I have a ps2, and was trying to hook it up to my HDTV. I had the madcatz component cables that are for the ps2/wii/360, but upon hooking them up, the graphics quality was ass. Everything was very boxy and jaggy. Figuring that it was just a crappy madcatz product, I bought the sony brand. Same issue. Does anyone know what could possibly be the cause of this? Id hate to have to use regular RCA jacks for the ps2, cause everything is very washed out and dark looking with them. I have an older ps2, second gen I think, and a poloroid 32" HDTV.

i believe he's talking about the 'digital out' settings. does that change the image? the y cb thing just means that you're using true component cables, last time i checked. RGB is for VGA cables with an adapter, or scart input with PAL systems.

i was wondering this, too, i just bought a ps2 a little while ago.

edit: what game was it? there are a lot of ps2 games that didn't use AA, thus rendering the visuals to look like ass on a tv that doesn't blur everything together.

This little tidbit will likely also be helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Progressive_Scan_PS2_Games

Generally, progressive scan mode is activated by holding the Triangle and Cross buttons down after the PlayStation 2 logo appears as the game loads or by enabling the progressive scan display mode in the game's options menu. Both methods work on a PlayStation 3 as well. Component video cables are required for progressive scan mode.