Bear McCreary Scores 'Dark Void'

Binweasel

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1833#more-1833 - featuring some clips and a drool-worthy 8-bit rendition of the main theme.

For anyone who doesn't know: Bear McCreary owas the composer for all four seasons the 2003 remake of Battlestar Galactica, which wrapped up not too long ago. He also scores Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and has done a few horror/slasher films here and there.

Never heard of the game before, so I can't really comment much about it, except to say that I'm going to snag it the moment it comes out for a console I own regardless of what genre or how good the gameplay is. XD Definitely want to remix that main theme (once I can get my hands on a midi or somesuch.)

I see a few OC Remix blokes have all ready mentioned this place in his blog's comments. It'd be awesome if OCR could get an interview with him - from what I've seen, he seems the sort who'd gladly make time for it, maybe even do a remix or two himself!

Edit: O-kay. If Iron Man and Shadow of the Collosus had a baby, and the baby became an astronaut... well, cargo pilot... who flies into the Bermuda Triangle... and meets Tesla, who helps him battle aliens? The only thing it's missing is riding a giant snow leapord into a snarling army with nothing to defend yourself with except a shovel with a serrated scoop. And robots that look like ferrets.

http://blogs.ign.com/RomExtraordinaire/2009/04/07/117074/

OMG ! YOU CAN HEAR THE BSG-ESQUE ELEMENTS IN THE MAIN TITLE!

I WANT! Bear's music is win. And I thought Jeremy Soule was a legend for having his own distinct musical flavour. Bear is that and so much more. Let's see how it fares with a game soundtrack for once, but, I don't think I'll be disapointed.

Does anyone know if the Sarah Connor Chronicles has a good/notable soundtrack? Never had the pleasure of listening to it.

I've always felt that Soule's music was pretty unique. Sometimes the differences are subtle, but you can usually tell his style apart from other composers pretty easily if you're familiar with it.

This should be interesting. I liked the music in Battlestar Galactica, though I kinda got tired of hearing the same drums over and over.

EDIT: Just watched the video. Love the direction he's going with the music. The samples they played were great. Classic sci-fi stuff. The game looked pretty sweet too. Hope they don't screw it up.

Does anyone know if the Sarah Connor Chronicles has a good/notable soundtrack? Never had the pleasure of listening to it.

Yes it has a very good soundtrack. Excellent use of sound to create an atmosphere and mood.

This is one of my favorites from the soundtrack. Still waiting for it all to show up on itunes

http://www.imeem.com/carenhill/music/uYqPAcWb/bear-mccreary-sarah-connors-theme-from-pilot/

I had to kind of laugh at the interview where Bear McCreary talks about his "different" take on the music for BSG. I mean, it's no Star Trek, to be sure, but season 1 at least was almost track for track an homage to Zimmer's Black Hawk Down score. It's not like it didn't work or it's not fun to listen to, but let's call a spade a spade, hmm, Bear?

• 7 months later...

Shiny! There's a remix contest some of you might be interested in (though it ends December 15th.)

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=2930

Snippet from his blog:

• You must be a legal U.S. resident over 18
  • One entry per person
  • All remix elements, including beats & vocals, MUST be original assets created by you (that means no sampling other songs into your remix … any submissions containing other licensed music will be automatically disqualified)
  • Remix submission must be in MP3 format only
  • 5 MB limit for your file upload

re’s the real exciting part: the prizes! All valid submissions will receive 1,500 Community Points toward our COMMUNITY MONTHLY PRIZES. But one (1) Grand Prize winner, who submits the best original remix of Theme from Dark Void as determined by Capcom and the Dark Void Community staff, will receive the following gear:

• Native Instruments TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO system
  • Native Instruments MASCHINE Groove Production Studio
  • Olympus LS-11 Digital Audio Recorder

Amazing, right?! In addition to these prizes, the winning remix may have the opportunity to be featured in a number of promotions. These may include having your winning remix on the digital-only release of the Dark Void soundtrack, used in sync in official Dark Void game trailers, pressed to limited-edition Dark Void vinyl, or featured in a future edition of URB Magazine’s digital issue. Just remember, all promotional considerations are at the discretion of the Sponsor and are not guaranteed in the Grand Prize. You can read all about the Grand Prize in the OFFICIAL LEGAL RULES.