pitch bend out by a factor of 7

I've got some East West samples and I'm trying to do a pitch bend of a major fifth (ie. seven semitones). So, I automated the Channel Pitch to get it to drop 700 cents. The pitch bend worked -- but it wasn't dropping enough. It was actually only dropping one semitone, i.e. 100 cents. I tried this again with a drop of 1400 cents, and that corresponded with a two semitone drop.

OK, so everything's out by a factor of 7. But if that's so, to do a major fifth, I'd have to drop 4900 cents, and the max allowable is 4800. Any ideas? (granted, I could do some combination of the tune knob in Kompakt plus the Channel Pitch, but that's ungainly.)

A smaller problem I'm having with the Channel Pitch is that it only affects MIDI channel 1 -- i.e. bright green notes. Again, any ideas?

Hmm. I played around with it, and it seems that the actual problem is that Kompakt only has a pitch bend range of 2 semitones. Couldn't figure out how to change that -- nothing came up in a fairly extensive Google search. Kontakt 3 also seems to have this limitation. Unless I'm missing something?

There's traditionally a MIDI implementation chart that comes with MIDI modules. It describes what messages the MIDI module responds to, what range, what controllers, what RPNs, NRPNs, SysEx messages, etc.

1. Checked the help/manual? Look for keywords. Modulation. Pitch. etc

2. There's an RPN (a standard) MIDI message for communicating the pitch bend sensitivity. Theoretical limit of two octaves up/down, IIRC, and the default should be two semitones.

3. Check the patch setting for that instrument. Maybe you can change the sensitivity for that patch/instrument directly.

4. Try enabling portamento (another MIDI control change message) and setting the attack (another control change message), if it's supported. Since your destination pitches are semitones, that might work okay. I'm a bit rusty on the details, but google it.

5. Look for non-standard messages (NRPNs and SysEx) documented with the MIDI module.

Documentation would be great. However, the only documentation EWQL SO comes with is a PDF listing the instruments it has (as if this wasn't obvious ...).

I eventually found a portamento option in Kontakt's script editor. It works over any size interval, but it sounds like hell. On a 2-semitone interval, the regular pitch wheel bend sounds better. Meh.

Documentation would be great. However, the only documentation EWQL SO comes with is a PDF listing the instruments it has (as if this wasn't obvious ...).

Obviously, as you say, since it's just a bunch of samples with associated meta-data. A MIDI module is the thing that plays back these samples. That's what will limit the capabilities such as pitch bend sensitivity. That's what you have to find the MIDI implementation chart for, or the documentation for.

I eventually found a portamento option in Kontakt's script editor. It works over any size interval, but it sounds like hell. On a 2-semitone interval, the regular pitch wheel bend sounds better. Meh.

NI requires me to register to read their knowledge base. You might find your answers there, if not in the Kontakt documentation.

It might not sound that good anyway, unless the MIDI module that plays back the sample is intelligent enough to pick the right sample for the right pitch range, instead of stretching the initial sample too much.