Earthbound-Giygas theme (mostly just the Pokey means business part)

Well I took my sweet time on what I thought was an epic song and got this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROazhrTx33I&feature=channel_page

Constructive comments and criticism is greatly appreiciated!

mp3: http://www.mediafire.com/?ziojmmiemyw

btw I don't have the best soundfonts I just used Squidfonts orchestral soundfont and a trumpet solo font that I had that sounds pretty good.

I always figured this for a guitar-heavy track.

Anyways, this orchestra doesn't sound very big. Like there's only one or two of each instrument. This song needs more oomph than that.

(Weird, my spell-checker knows "oomph" but not "doesn't".)

This sounds like I think it would have in an early Final Fantasy game.

I agree that the orchestra needs more depth, perhaps additional soloing around 1:30-1:45 and later (trumpet?). Any thoughts about bringing in a piano to fill things out? I like the bells.

Kudos for successfully reworking an already awesome theme.

Sweet thanks for the comments and I wish I can add more stuff to it but the soundfonts I have arn't as good as this...except my trumpet and trombone ones (btw I have a newer version but still sounds the same in some parts) I just need better horn soundfonts and strings I was thinking of putting in some choir parts into it and the piano does sound like a fantastic idea and all but I can't add any more staffs on my song (I use mainly finale so...) but I'll see what I can do and if you can direct me to some super awesome soundfonts I would much apprieciate it. :)

• 2 weeks later...
If anything the instrument might be slightly detuned

Right, it sounds like it gets a little off in a higher register. It might just be that the soundfont/plugin wasn't built to go that high. Whatever brass instument you are using from 2:29-2:35 sounds clean, though.

Overall, I like the improvements you've made. You've used a brief theme and constructed an impressive concerto which is dynamic but retains the mood of the original. Very nice.

The arrangement is really brass-heavy right now. The only strings I hear are occasional violin lines. Strings are traditionally the backbone of the orchestra's sound, and fleshing them out will go a long way in giving you some of that oomph that Spakku mentioned. One way to start would be to play around with doubling some of the other instruments' lines in the strings.

I'd also recommend breaking up the tuba line that starts at 0:28. In real life, brass players need to breathe, and it hurts believability when the line keeps running forever. (Same comment on some of the high brass lines.) A good way to deal with the tuba line would be to give it to the low strings instead. I could also see having the trombones play some sustained chords with the tuba to fill out the lower register a bit.

Sounding good so far, especially for free soundfonts.