*NO* Animal Crossing 'Acetone'

Liontamer

Source Video:

Remixer: Sixto Sounds

Game Remixed: Animal Crossing

Track Remixed: KK Surf

*******Project Track!!!*******

Another track I made for JoeCam's Animal Crossing project. This track was a ton of fun. I rarely record anything but rock remixes so this was quite a change. I had huge inspiration from the Stevie Ray Vaughan/Dick Dale remake of the classic surf instrumental "Pipeline." Simple setup, really. A Strat into a cranked Fender Twin dripping wet with plenty of that warm spring reverb, simple bass line and drum section, and of course, the clap track. Gotta have the clap track. Anyway, enough from me. Hope you enjoy. Hang ten!

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/download_file/16084 - (173) "Surfin' K.K."

Production was solid, so there's nothing else to be said there. As expansive as this arrangement is compared to the source, the repetitive beats and overall dynamics were on the boring side. I would have done more with this arrangement. Still, Animal Crossing is extremely barebones and this reasonably expanded it. The soloing after the 2-minute mark was needed, though there still wasn't much dynamic contrast. Needed more melodic interpretation and further development of the ideas. No problem if this passes, but it should have been more, IMO.

It's decent, but if I YESed, it would definitely be because I gave Juan a free pass. Almost no one on the panel remembers The Number Sixes when they subbed a Zelda surf mix which was well performed, but too repetitive as well; maybe it's something about the genre, but ultimately I doubt it. Surf can wurk.

NO (resubmit)

I get where Larry's coming from, but thought the guitar was pretty interesting throughout, adding a good bit of interpretation and flair to the simple melodies. Some countermelody stuff would have sealed the deal, definitely, but what's in place is good enough. Beat was solid and fun to listen to - a little repetitive, but had fills, so it wasn't static. I thought Juan pretty much hit exactly the style he wanted to hit, and it's interpretative enough. Fun song!

YES

• 2 months later...

This is how the source should've sounded. I do however agree with Larry that some more melodic interpretation would've been preferable. Actually, this is basically a cover. The melodies are intact and the only real personalization is in the soloing (using source chords) and occassional phrasing variation. Also the style (being repetitive by nature) doesn't lend itself to dynamic variation and I'm cool with that but you're basically just repeating the same stuff using the same structure as the source.

The production is ace though. Everything's clear and the guitars sounds great and warm.

Seriously though, if this was someone other than sixto or perhaps trance it would get shot down. Arrangement really needs to be expanded. It's a great, groovy track that's a FANTASTIC fit for the project but it's just too conservative for OCR.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say that this is completely great- production is tight, performances are rocking, everyting is clicking, but it really does sound too close to the source. I think there is enough variation, the melody is skipping octaves and doing a pretty good job of keeping the track as fresh as it can within the genre.

The claps were awesome, and everything clicked song-wise. There's no doubt that this is a great track, it is just too similar to the source. Sorry bro. :-(

no

• 1 month later...

I almost think we should have a guideline where we don't even bother to talk about Sixto's production, since it's so good every time. :P Every sonic element here is basically perfect, from the live performances to the sequencing, tonal variety, percussion, mixing and mastering. Interpretation, unfortunately, is a really close call. There is some great variation in a few spots, as well as the original solos of course, but most of the time when the melody is played it is just played verbatim. C'mon, Juan! Just a few countermelodies and switched-up rhythms and you're gold!

NO, resub