That stupid smirk

lazygecko

For some reason, there was an epidemic among American boxart designers throughout the early 90's which caused characters to have that "I just fucked your wife" smirk applied to their face.

Classic example, the americanized Sonic 1 boxart:

250pxsonicthehedgehogbo.jpg

Once Capcom were done having well-built men in their 30s figure as Mega Man, they decided to give him the same treatment:

boxartmm4us.jpg

Wonderboy in Monster World appears to have the same mischievous tone mixed with a healthy dose of cocaine:

wonderboy.jpg

I wondered if Captain Falcon can be seen smirking on box art, and then I found these:

gp%20legend%20box.gif

Why have I not heard of this game???

F-Zero GP Legend was based off the F-Zero Anime

Obligatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw

I NEED TO PLAY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW.

Also I found this happy-looking foursome:

922026_57144_front.jpg

And this guy:

2qw351u.jpg

I fail to see the logic that says that an axe-wielding barbarian would also be wearing a hockey mask.

Look at that box art again and tell me what makes you think they're trying to be logical :<

(Also it's clearly not a hockey mask... where I'm from that's obvious - but you're way out in left field)

It's because the cool thing to have in the 90s was "BADitude."

Fixed that for ya.

Sonic_adventure_2.jpg

And it wasn't just the 90s. EVERYONE in this picture (except for tails and shadow) is sportin' that sleazy grin. Shadow probably knows what's in the future for him, though, so I can understand why he doesn't look happy.