Did I Give The Right Answer To An Apsiring Composer?

TheSnowStorm

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15284&pid=490402&st=0entry490402

My statement:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=15284&view=findpost&p=490402

I want to slap my forehead and mock you but I'll be nice.

Kid, when you start out in the business of video game music, you work with MIDI. They're not gonna let some young kid and rookie full access to the orchestra, that's for those in the industry who have a few years under their belts. A company is not going to let you get the full live orchestra experience as soon as you start out, you'll just start out simple and humble (and please, humble yourself!) MIDI is a standard in audio production of VG music and is use by many musicians and composers, both in the video game industry and in the mainstream music industry.

Dude, I mean, if you are really, really passionate about composing for video games or hell, just any other media, then you have to pull in all reasonable resources for yourself, even if it means working with MIDI. If you show that you're passionate about what you do and you are working with a company that works with an orchestra, then maybe one day, you might get to work with an orchestra to perform your music.

Granted, if you got the money, you can get software that gives you orchestra samples so you can get that feel of an orchestra. Yeah, it's not the real thing but you still get the sound of it.

Another thing is that some companies do not have the budget to have their music blessed with a live orchestra score seeing their main focus is to spend money on the game project and the workers.

Also, not to crush your dreams or anything but I doubt a Japanese video game developing company will give a rookie entry-level American a high job such as music composing.

One last thing: NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK!!! AND START COMPOSING RIGHT NOW!!! YOU'RE YOUNG AND YOU HAVE A FEW GOOD YEARS LEFT!!!

This post has been edited by Uncle_Snow's_Cabin: Today, 10:22 PM

Long story short: Some kid whines about video game music being nothing but MIDI and thinks he's outta job.

Wait, he thinks video game brass player is something you can apply for?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

P.S. PS2 EMULATOR?!?

Wait, he thinks video game brass player is something you can apply for?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

P.S. PS2 EMULATOR?!?

That's why I was faceplaming and told him to network like there's no tomorrow. You can't just apply to any job in the video game industry and I did not want the kid to learn that the hard way. Then again, I barely understand the dark humor of OC ReMix so what am I to say anything?

The thing is, he can network until his nose is a permanent shade of brown, he can start the bottom of the corporate ladder and somehow work his way into the Intelligent Systems team, but that will NOT get him a job as "full-time brass player for video games" because no such occupation exists. The closest he'd get to that would be to find out which orchestra Nintendo usually contracts for that kind of stuff and audition there.

...you were too nice, there.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahaha.

That was the 'appropriate' answer, but I'll give you credit for not completely crushing the child's dreams. If he's an instrumentalist he should go out and try to find a real profession that involves his technique - video game instrumentalist isn't going to cut it for him at all.

Guys, I want to work for Nintendo and be a video game chef. How many months will this take me 1,2,3??

PLZ ANSWER MY QUESTION I HAVE MASTERS DEGREE IN CHEFOLOGY AND I DON'T WANT MY AWESOME POWERS OF TASTE-FU TO GO TO WASTE :(((((((

hilarious but fixed to make naïveté more obvious.

because all sequenced music is MIDI and all MIDI is sequenced music

^ not actually true, folks. Trackers aren't midi, yet it is sequenced music.

Anyway, yep TSS, I think that's a good answer. Shoot him down from his dreaming and make him toil in the dust of the earth until he's good enough to reach those dreams. We all want more people in the industry making music, more vgm composers, more competition...

Wait, on second thought...

YOU'RE YOUNG AND YOU HAVE A FEW GOOD YEARS LEFT!!!

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I'm curious — is video game music a business which only the young can join? I know some folks worry about this, and it does seem (from my limited perspective) like a lot of big names in the industry started at a very young age.

Also, I think your response was spot-on. From the OP's comments on that thread, it seemed like he was sitting around the house with his tuba and trombone, waiting for a leading company in the industry to call and give him his dream career. Reality can be harsh.

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I'm curious — is video game music a business which only the young can join? I know some folks worry about this, and it does seem (from my limited perspective) like a lot of big names in the industry started at a very young age.

Well Moogle, this put it as this: Would you start boxing as a pro at age 35? I mean Rocky did that but it's just a movie, you know.

Usually, a lot of composers start out young and I think the guy who did the music for CATS was only 19. Tommy Tallarico was in his late teens or early 20s when he started as well as Jeremly Soule (in fact, Soule was in high school when he started composing for Sqaure USA). So yeah, a lot of composers for video games start out rather young but I think the average age is like 21-24?

Also to everyone who is saying I was too nice: The kid's a kid and it's bad enough I'm we're hard enough on the next generation and this one (but then again, sometimes, they deserve it) but also, the kid gotta understand reality. And the fact I have a good warn history on that site.

I didn't get the kid's age on the other forum. If s/he is older than 18 then s/he has no excuse, whatsoever. Reality is a cruel son-of-a-bitch, and it should hit you full force at about 18. Oh well, what can I say, TheSnowStorm, your just a much nicer guy than I am.

By the way, if it was an aspiring composer (like you implied in the topic) I wouldn't be so harsh, but seriously; what the person wants is a job as a video game performer, which isn't even remotely realistic, and it isn't composing. The person can play a few instruments, great - now they need to look for real performance jobs that can make him/her money.

... and what the hell is the gender; I hate writing s/he and him/her...

I guess it's not a problem strictly related to video game music industry, but rather an issue with society in general.

People these days want to arrive fast, become famous, all without making any efforts.

Only a few parents still teach their child the value of working hard to get what they want.

Seeing as many people still manage to get rich & famous without making a lot of effort, by simply having the right connections,

I can understand why yougsters would feel compeled not to waste anytime trying.

Society always show you the success, but never really mention the sacrifice required to get there.

As for your reaction SnowStorm, that was mature & considerate of you.

You were very lucid & patient, when you could have easily burned him.

But he's just a kid mixing up his dream and the reality, as kid often do. ;-)