Is this the place for questions on eligibility of certain songs?

The Pezman

I hope so.

At any rate, I'm wondering whether OC Submissions are limited to tracks which are actually in the soundtrack or whether it's also open to work solidly related to or inspired by games. For example, the Pole Position theme, or the tracks of Richard Jacques' albums that he handed out at MAGFest. Are they eligible?

The song has to be in the game for it to be eligible. No "special tracks" from a soundtrack or anything like that.

For instance, music from FF7: Advent Children that is not in FF7 is not eligible.

So no, the Pole Position commercial theme isn't eligible. Neither are original tracks by game composers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Ta-daa! A thread for asking about sources, if the one you're interested in is valid vgm for ocr or not. The perfect thread for music from games based on movies, whether EA Tracks are random licensed works or written by the artist for the game, and when old classics show up in a game.

--

original post:

Probably just easier to wait for Liontamer on irc, but I might as well make a thread for source questions. Unless there's already one, but none of my search words found it.

The standards say a source must be written for the game to be valid. I don't think that's what Tchaikovsky had in mind when he wrote the Swan Lake.

, the one at 2:07 is the one I'm interested in.

My question is whether I can remix it for ocr or not. If Tetris music is valid, shouldn't this be too?

Probably just easier to wait for Liontamer on irc, but I might as well make a thread for source questions. Unless there's already one, but none of my search words found it.

The standards say a source must be written for the game to be valid. I don't think that's what Tchaikovsky had in mind when he wrote the Swan Lake.

, the one at 2:07 is the one I'm interested in.

My question is whether I can remix it for ocr or not. If Tetris music is valid, shouldn't this be too?

Well, no. We still use the "must be specifically written for the game" guideline. Tetris is a special case if only because that's what it's mostly known for and I have a sneaking suspicion OCR weren't aware of this until long after some Tetris remixes were posted.

Sooo.. nah. :/

"Korobeiniki" and "Tetris Theme" are virtually synonymous on the Internet even if the song is a much older Russian folk song. When you search for Korobeiniki, almost every single link subtitles it with "Tetris Theme".

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Korobeiniki

(Oddly enough the B-Type and C-Type songs aren't nearly as well known).

Being a semi-OCD purist and loving firm definitions, I do dislike even our Tetris exception, but in that one shining instance, I bow to circumstances.

I strongly believe that "VGM" means music written FOR games, not music that is used IN games, and thus, while I do love me some dead white guys, Bach, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, etc., etc. are all out.

That certainly doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahead and make the mix, it just means we won't post it... I actually think a good project idea (oh god, not ANOTHER project!) would be a classical album of themes that have appeared in games. We COULD release that, though nothing from it would be posted on the site, save for a Tetris mix :)

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the music from the game "Where The Wild Things Are" and I was thinking, this music is waaay too good for this game. Then I saw the movie and the music in question wasn't in the movie. That leads me to believe that the music "was" made for the game. Not sure how I can find out for sure but I'm totally interested in WtWtA remix. :-)

Little Big Planet has an OST that uses music that was possibly not written for the game, but in many cases is only well known because of the game. There is also music that was specific to the game. What is the exact call on these songs?

Like for LBP, is it only music done by Daniel Pemberton that's allowed, or the other themes too?

Also, as a point of interest, apparently all music in The World Ends With You was written for the game but used outside vocalists (except "Lullaby For You," which I think was an external song). Are these still fair game, or because they're attributed to the vocalists do they get removed from availability?

Little Big Planet has an OST that uses music that was possibly not written for the game, but in many cases is only well known because of the game. There is also music that was specific to the game. What is the exact call on these songs?

Like for LBP, is it only music done by Daniel Pemberton that's allowed, or the other themes too?

Anything not originally written for the game is not valid. That's the line. (Tetris is the one exception, as was said.)

Also, as a point of interest, apparently all music in The World Ends With You was written for the game but used outside vocalists (except "Lullaby For You," which I think was an external song). Are these still fair game, or because they're attributed to the vocalists do they get removed from availability?

Why would who sang it make any difference?

Little Big Planet has an OST that uses music that was possibly not written for the game, but in many cases is only well known because of the game.

Whether or not the music is well-known has no bearing on whether it's legitimate for remixing. If it was licensed (ie. not written for the game) then it's not legit.

There is also music that was specific to the game. What is the exact call on these songs? Like for LBP, is it only music done by Daniel Pemberton that's allowed, or the other themes too?

If the music was written for the game, then it's legit. :P

If the music was written for the game, but has since appeared on various albums, it's still legit. The attribution really doesn't matter, the purpose of the music does.

Edit: Damn, Larry beat me to it.

I searched the internet hard last night. HARD. And I could not even find a single reference to 'Where the Wild Things are' video game soundtrack or its composer or anything. It's like the soundtrack doesn't even exist, but it is sofa king obvious that the songs used in the game were not in the film. And they were good. :-(

You didn't look hard at all, then.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nintendo-ds/where-the-wild-things-are/credits

Took me 5 seconds to find out who the composer is. For future reference, Mobygames has excellent details on the personnel involved with just about every game ever.

Ugh, I didn't get an update via User CP that you had posted this, thank you so much Zircon. edit: Checked it through, the composer for the 360 and the Nintendo DS versions are different. It's not the same music, the composer of the DS version actually told me that. x_x

I was actually stopping in to ask another question relating to valid source. DJP said that they will allow songs that were made to be used in a game. Does the success of the game matter? If it is known that the songs were produced for the game, like music for an MMO that may have been released publicly as a sort of "music pack"... Would that still count? The composer was hired by the company to produce this public pack and is not necessarily credited on the game. This is a game that uses uploadable media as well as that supplied directly through the game's weird downloading system...

Let me know cause if it's allowed, I may end up remixing myself. :P