Social Networking: Something Wicked This Way Comes?

Meteo Xavier

[20:42] <*anonymous*> boy

[20:42] <*anonymous*> that social networking thread... it's awful

[20:43] <*anonymous2*> GUYS I AM AUTISTIC THE INTERNET IS RUINING MY LIFE WAAAH

[20:44] <*anonymous*> the arguments people are putting forward

[20:44] <*anonymous*> so terrible

[20:45] <*anonymous2*> people are not even putting forth arguments

[20:45] <*anonymous2*> they are basically saying

[20:45] <*anonymous2*> in my opinion this is wrong therefore it is wrong

And this means what?

If you do, did you ever need to lie to get a job?

Well, buddy, I've never applied for a job, since I'm still in college, receiving grants, loans and scholarships to get my ass through it. I didn't have to lie to get into public or private universities. But I'm comparing apples to oranges.

So.. what credibility do I have? That's a good question. You should have thought about asking for it 9 pages ago. :P

I was searching a little more on this problem. One point of concern is that employers *could* hack into your profile to see personal stuff. While they're not hackers themselves, they could hire someone to do it (less likely) or use specific tools that exploit security holes (more likely; Orkut had this security problem with private photos once).

Another point of concern is that there were cases of people being fired simply by saying that their work was boring. If someone hates me enough, they can easily impersonate me and create a profile with a bunch of photos (not necessarily embarassing, just to legitimate the profile) and say that I hate where I work. Your boss could do it him or herself for whatever reason.

Well, buddy, I've never applied for a job, since I'm still in college, receiving grants, loans and scholarships to get my ass through it. I didn't have to lie to get into public or private universities. But I'm comparing apples to oranges.

So.. what credibility do I have? That's a good question. You should have thought about asking for it 9 pages ago. :P

I'm not actually asking about your credibility. I just wanted to know if you ever had to lie to a corporation in order to be hired.

I'm not actually asking about your credibility. I just wanted to know if you ever had to lie to a corporation in order to be hired.

Like I said, I really can't say that I have. But I know Muslims who haven't lied who have been hired at corporations, if that helps.

I was searching a little more on this problem. One point of concern is that employers *could* hack into your profile to see personal stuff. While they're not hackers themselves, they could hire someone to do it (less likely) or use specific tools that exploit security holes (more likely; Orkut had this security problem with private photos once).

Another point of concern is that there were cases of people being fired simply by saying that their work was boring. If someone hates me enough, they can easily impersonate me and create a profile with a bunch of photos (not necessarily embarassing, just to legitimate the profile) and say that I hate where I work. Your boss could do it him or herself for whatever reason.

No they can't.

You know people actually investigate before doing these kinds of things, right?

In any case, this thread has basically turned into Mythrill's Conspiracy Theory Hour, so we're done.