OC ReMix Special on NEW Groove Bias Drum Library! (Now With Freebies)

zircon

No, I'm probably better than someone who's never played before, but I basically suck on a real kit. But since you claim epic drumming skills, I say we have a drum off. Keyboard vs. Real Kit to decide the fate of drumming for all eternity! :)

I'll hit you up on that when I can find time to get to a recording studio, or somehow buy my own equipment. I've been thinking about just getting an electric drumkit to save some hassle, but it's never the same :?

Man I need to learn how to process drums now.. lol I cant seem to get these to sound like some of the music samples. I need more learning :P

Edit: lol ok, so after talking to zircon I had some ideas... why dont I scream the shit out of it :P

Here is the result

DJ SymBiotiX - Groove Bias Test 1 (Scream)

haha.. check it out :P.. I promise within a week I'll finish something that sounds super cool (especially since I made this "song" in like15 minutes and didnt really have time to fix anything. Looks like sleep time for me :()

I apologize if I reiterate anything here... I read through most but not all of the 9 pages of responses...

So let me see if I got this right. Both versions consist of A) WAV files and B) patches for certain programs to load them in. The Reason version is $10 cheaper because it is 16bit/44.1kHz instead of 24bit/96kHz. (I presume because Reason cannot handle 24/96?)

Now to the point: I don't have any of the programs for which there are patches, and have no interest in getting them. Are the WAV files at least organized into folders? Is there any kind of naming convention otherwise? Seeing as they are percussive samples, I'm assuming I wouldn't have to worry about loop points, right?

From the demos it seems like a great old school kit. Too bad I'm not into that style, but I'm thinking these might be great source material for distorting and mangling into phat electronic sounds. One thing electronic misses a lot is a grungy, dirty sound since everything tends to be crisp and clean. Throwing some analog recorded acoustic samples would help mix it up. Thanks.

I'm determined now.

I saw Harmony's video a while back and was disgustingly impressed with his playing, but I finally got around to checking out the details of this product, and it seems incredible and right up my production alley. I'm also thinking this is the best way right now to return a favor from Dave.

I can't use any of the mentioned formats, either, but one thing about Soundfonts, FYI: provided the WAV names are reasonably detailed, and you have the latest Vienna software, you can use a freeware app like Renamer to quickly change the filenames to those recognized by Vienna, and then building a soundfont is as easy as loading all the relevant samples in one step. If/when I get this, I'll see about instructions for those who want to do the same.

Sweet, front page video pimpage! :D

I absolutely LOVED the Spies video. Just wanted to say that.
I saw Harmony's video a while back and was disgustingly impressed with his playing
I don't have any of the programs for which there are patches, and have no interest in getting them. Are the WAV files at least organized into folders? Is there any kind of naming convention otherwise?
I can't use any of the mentioned formats, either, … Soundfonts
The folder and naming scheme is very logical and easy to follow so if you had the raw samples, it would be incredibly easy to pick through them and throw them into whatever sampler you want. However, zircon mentioned the possibility of getting this converted to SFZ which would solve both of you guys’ problem. The player is free, the format is even more customizable than soundfonts, and in my experience, the format handles most of the features of the Kontakt library perfectly.
I'm thinking these might be great source material for distorting and mangling into phat electronic sounds.
tefnek’s demo is crazy phat, check that out if you haven’t already.

Harmony pretty much summed it up. The file structure is like this:

Groove Bias

-> Samples (directory with 100+ folders, each representing a kit part)

--> Crash 2

---> Crash 2 v2 rr3.wav

So, you pick the kit part that you want, then you can grab any velocity or round robin. They're ALL named very consistently because I hate when developers just go Snare_1 Snare_2 Snare_3 etc. Room or overhead patches are marked with "RM" or "OH" to differentiate from the close hits. :)

Another format coming soon is Battery 3. Battery is very cheap these days, usually $99 or less in and of itself, and is a great drum sample player.

Another format coming soon is Battery 3. Battery is very cheap these days, usually $99 or less in and of itself, and is a great drum sample player.

That's great news, I purchased Battery 3 and it arrived yesterday(still nowhere near getting the hang of it yet), I might consider getting Groove Bias sometime soon, what I've heard so far is flawless.

For anybody who wants to try out Groove Bias, you can now pick up the GB Tape Kit Mini in Kontakt format for FREE!

http://www.impactsoundworks.com/products/groove-bias-mini/

The Tape Kit Mini contains all the components found in the full Tape Kit patch - kicks, snares, hats, toms, overheads/room mics, and cymbals - but with only one velocity and round robin per part. The full version has anywhere from 40 to 150 samples per kit part, but the Mini is still fun to play with. You'll get a good idea of the tone of this particular kit, and you're free to use it in any of your productions. We've also included the FULL version of the Tape Kit ride patch, including its room mic.

While these particular patches are Kontakt 2 format, since there are only a small amount of actual WAVs, you can easily program them for use in any sampler.

*** Remember, this is just a SMALL fraction of the sounds contained within the full version of Groove Bias! ***

Enjoy!

this question might have already been answered, so sorry if it has been.

if i want to buy both versions of the kit, is there a way i can do this? like, i'd like it in both formats - i don't need the samples in both formats, but i'd like both sets of presets and all that. would i have to buy the whole set twice, or is there a package deal?

this isn't going to be immediate, but when my XBLA game gets funding from a publisher i get a pretty large budget for samples and stuff, and i planned on picking up all three sound libraries from you guys.

edit: you might want to update the front page of your website - it still says that Groove Bias is 'coming soon' with a release date that was about a month ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Computer Music magazine rated Groove Bias 8/10 in a recent issue!

“This set of three virtual drum kits and one percussion kit is designed to recreate the vintage sound heard on countless classic breakbeats, and is based around a 4GB [collection] of drum samples recorded with dozens of velocity and round-robin variations. The result is kits that are essentially simple - you don’t get a huge variety of sounds, despite teh size of the library - but sound authentic and phat when programmed via MIDI… Overall, this is a good library that makes a decent alternative to virtual drum software. 8/10″ - Computer Music Magazine (issue 141)

We also got a 9/10 review on an online sample library review site, Waveformless:

If you’ve been frustrated trying to find these types of vintage drum sounds, you probably didn’t even bother reading this far and have already placed your order. But for those who need further convincing, just take a listen to the demos on Impact Soundworks’ website. These kits are certainly a worthy addition to the library of anyone seeking that sound, but clearly this is a library that drummers will get the most enjoyment out of given the range of expression that is possible with disciplined playing technique. Regardless of your level of ability, however, this is a great sounding collection of the types of drums that aren’t exactly abundant on the sample library market these days.