A question for GBA SP owners

Mindeffects

Recently, I bought a used GBA SP through an auctions site, without a charger. A week later I also bought a new third-party charger only to find out my new–old handheld doesn't work. When I plug it in, the red led gives only a flash and when I turn on the system it works for a second and dies. If I remove the battery and play it only with the charger (now this is really wierd) it gives me about 30 seconds of play time (at first it gave me almost 2 minutes) and then dies. It doesn't work again unless I let it sleep for few hours (without the battery only) and then 30 secs again.

What could be the culprit of this? Is it the battery, the charger or the whole system? The owner actually says I must get a first-party charger in order for everything to function properly. Is that true or is he just messing with me?

Well, first party chargers are more likely to work properly since the first party generally has closer tolerances for the quality of the charger, but that doesn't necessarily preclude third party chargers from working at all.

As for the 30 seconds thing, I really have no idea, sorry.

I pressed the light button in the middle of the play and it immediately died.
The backlight consumes a lot of power.

The fact that the gameboy either works fine or not at all pretty much rules out any problems with the gameboy itself. The charger could have a bad connection somewhere that cuts the power whenever it gets moved around too much. This happened with one of my old gameboy colour adaptors. If you moved around too much while the gameboy was only running with the adaptor, the power would cut out. I don't imagine it's too uncommon since gameboys get moved around a lot more than other consoles, and the wires tend to get worn out. You're probably best off getting a legitimate nintendo charger, new if possible.

The backlight consumes a lot of power.

The fact that the gameboy either works fine or not at all pretty much rules out any problems with the gameboy itself. The charger could have a bad connection somewhere that cuts the power whenever it gets moved around too much. This happened with one of my old gameboy colour adaptors. If you moved around too much while the gameboy was only running with the adaptor, the power would cut out. I don't imagine it's too uncommon since gameboys get moved around a lot more than other consoles, and the wires tend to get worn out. You're probably best off getting a legitimate nintendo charger, new if possible.

Thank you for sharing this. I'm so sick of this, I'll probably be getting a new system since I can't get a first-party charger otherwise. :tomatoface:

Micro and SP share the same type of charger/battery, true?

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you for sharing this. I'm so sick of this, I'll probably be getting a new system since I can't get a first-party charger otherwise. :tomatoface:

Micro and SP share the same type of charger/battery, true?

Noooooo, they do not. A DS Phat charger will work, though.