So I'm buying a Dreamcast...

Toadofsky

I typed up the name of the thread wrong, it's So I'm getting a Dreamcast....

I always dislike making topics, but, here it goes...

Well, my room mate has a dreamcast that he's going to give me (he left it at his old place he used to live at), and I've ALWAYS wanted one, even when I was a die hard Nintendo fanboy back when it first came out.

The only thing though, it doesn't have it's power chord, memory card, controllers, or av cables, or even games. So, my question to you guys is...

What would be a good website(s) to order those things, at a reasonable price? My room mate is pretty sure it's in good working order, but in case it isn't, at least I won't be out of a huge amount of money. I'm not so worried about getting games, if you know what I mean, (yeah, I know that's bad), but that's my second option if I can't find a game reasonably priced, let alone find one for it.

Yes, I know Ebay would be the best, but are there any other reputable websites that I could order from, without getting screwed? I rarely order things online (I've only bought 2 shirts, and a decal for my Nintendo Wii) so I'm kind of in the dark with this.

You don't have to recommend any games, I've got a good idea of what games I'm searching for, but any suggestions other than Sonic Adv. 1 and 2, Rayman 2, Ecco Defender of The Future, Shenmue, Ikaruga (already on my gamecube), or Jet Set Radio are welcome.

If this is flame bait, well, go ahead....

power chord

Not trying to make fun but this was a pretty cool typo.

My apartment mates picked up a Dreamcast and games real cheap back in 2002, when the console had basically already died. I've got a lot of fond memories of Crazy Taxi and Chu Chu Rocket from then, I'd recommend those two. We also played a lot of Sonic Shuffle, but most of the enjoyment we got out of it was that it was a crappy game.

Yes, I know Ebay would be the best, but are there any other reputable websites that I could order from, without getting screwed?

If you're smart about who you buy from on Ebay, you can avoid getting screwed. When you buy on Ebay with PayPal, you don't have to pay some random guy and hoping everything works out; find a reputable seller, and then if something does go wrong, PayPal will back you up. I would say you're much more likely to get screwed by trying to buy from a "reputable website" that you're not familiar with.

You may end up saving some money by just buying a whole console online, with the accessories you're looking for. Obviously, you don't need a console if your friend is giving you one, but the shipping you will end up paying if you have to get your accessories from different folks may end up costing you more than it is worth. And then you could have a "backup console", I guess — or try to sell it on Ebay yourself, sans parts.

Sorry if this is all redundant, since you obviously know about Ebay, but I've had nothing but great results working with sellers there.

FYI - ThinkGeek is out of stock from the link provided by Liontamer.

Are you looking for something like this?

I know i'm a douche :/

a;fjwhj;ooi!!! i was beaten to the punch.

You know, I thought I misspelled that... Thanks for the joke though.

And the ThinkGeek order was what made me bring this up, plus, I already saw it was sold out... sigh...

I see your point though, You know, I was going to set up a pay pal account, but then I had heard about a fake pay pal site that was ripping people off around the time I was going to set my account up, I'm paranoid over the internet I know. Guess I'll take the plunge though.

Could you maybe give me some tips on Ebay? Just how to look at reliability of the sellers or businesses within Ebay? Sorry if I'm being lazy about it, I like to get your guys' advice on some of this (and I'm seriously crappy at typing tonight).

And thanks for the info on some of those other games!

Not trying to make fun but this was a pretty cool typo.

My apartment mates picked up a Dreamcast and games real cheap back in 2002, when the console had basically already died. I've got a lot of fond memories of Crazy Taxi and Chu Chu Rocket from then, I'd recommend those two. We also played a lot of Sonic Shuffle, but most of the enjoyment we got out of it was that it was a crappy game.

I always liked Sonic Shuffle, although it did have some massive flaws, would have been a Mario Party killer if it didn't have them.

The only thing though, it doesn't have it's power chord, memory card, controllers, or av cables, or even games. So, my question to you guys is...

Okay, stop right there.

Why would you buy that Dreamcast from your friend? It doesn't have everything you need to play games on it. Actually, let me correct that...

IT DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING YOU NEED TO PLAY GAMES ON IT! :shock:

No cord, no controllers, no A/V cables, no memory cards... in other words, it's a gray, useless box right now. And to top it off, you don't even know if it works. If you're going to buy a Dreamcast, go to eBay, and find one that has all the required equipment it needs. By the time you get done searching for and buying the missing components for the one you mentioned, you'll have spent the same amount you would have on eBay... possibly more. Once that's accomplished, then start looking for games. Speaking of which...

AirForce Delta (Flying)

Alien Front Online (3D Action)

Bangai-O (Shmup)

Border Down (Shmup) *

Capcom vs SNK (Fighting)

Daytona USA (Racing)

Dead or Alive 2 (Fighting)

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm (3D Hack 'N Slash)

Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (Fighting)

Giga Wing (Shmup)

Giga Wing 2 (Shmup)

Grandia II (RPG)

Gunbird 2 (Shmup)

Last Blade 2 (Fighting)

Last Hope (Shmup) *

Mars Matrix (Shmup)

Marvel vs Capcom (Fighting)

Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Fighting)

MDK 2 (3D Action)

Metropolis Street Racer (Racing)

Red Dog (3D Action)

Resident Evil 2 (Survival Horror)

Resident Evil 3 (Survival Horror)

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Survival Horror)

Skies of Arcadia (RPG)

Soul Calibur (Fighting)

Street Fighter III: Double Impact (Fighting Compilation)

Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Fighting)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Fighting)

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (3D Hack 'N Slash)

Test Drive Le Mans (Racing)

Test Drive: V-Rally (Racing)

Under Defeat (Shmup) *

Wild Metal (3D Action)

Zero Gunner II (Shmup) *

*= Japanese import

Anyway, those are my thoughts (and recommendations) on it.

The funny thing is, I have a dreamcast back from 2001-2. I've got a power cord, TV cables, VMU unit, 2 controlers, etc. But the thing is... the motor in the box itself shat itself from being on too long. :(

Now it just sits packed up in a box as it has been for the past 6 years.

Left with Sonic Heroes, followed by Sonic '06 and Unleashed on Xbox/360. Yeah...

I long for the day I can play Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 again.

Check for a good feed back score. (the numbers by the name) and a high percent.

Then I usually look at the buyers comments. And if they all saying the same negative things. I would be careful.

Once I was buying a Wii and won the auction at $200. or something like that it was less than retail and wii`s were still in hot demand. Well the guy was scamming people I never got the Wii (well not from him) and did not hear a word from him.... However Paypal got my cash back and it was rather simple.

Okay, stop right there.

Why would you buy that Dreamcast from your friend? It doesn't have everything you need to play games on it. Actually, let me correct that...

No cord, no controllers, no A/V cables, no memory cards... in other words, it's a gray, useless box right now. And to top it off, you don't even know if it works. If you're going to buy a Dreamcast, go to eBay, and find one that has all the required equipment it needs. By the time you get done searching for and buying the missing components for the one you mentioned, you'll have spent the same amount you would have on eBay... possibly more. Once that's accomplished, then start looking for games. Speaking of which...

AirForce Delta (Flying)

Alien Front Online (3D Action)

Bangai-O (Shmup)

Border Down (Shmup) *

Capcom vs SNK (Fighting)

Daytona USA (Racing)

Dead or Alive 2 (Fighting)

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm (3D Hack 'N Slash)

Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (Fighting)

Giga Wing (Shmup)

Giga Wing 2 (Shmup)

Grandia II (RPG)

Gunbird 2 (Shmup)

Last Blade 2 (Fighting)

Last Hope (Shmup) *

Mars Matrix (Shmup)

Marvel vs Capcom (Fighting)

Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Fighting)

MDK 2 (3D Action)

Metropolis Street Racer (Racing)

Red Dog (3D Action)

Resident Evil 2 (Survival Horror)

Resident Evil 3 (Survival Horror)

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Survival Horror)

Skies of Arcadia (RPG)

Soul Calibur (Fighting)

Street Fighter III: Double Impact (Fighting Compilation)

Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Fighting)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Fighting)

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (3D Hack 'N Slash)

Test Drive Le Mans (Racing)

Test Drive: V-Rally (Racing)

Under Defeat (Shmup) *

Wild Metal (3D Action)

Zero Gunner II (Shmup) *

*= Japanese import

Anyway, those are my thoughts (and recommendations) on it.

you're so damn right

Okay, stop right there.

Ah, I think either the thread title is misleading or Toadofsky meant something else in his initial post, but just pointing out that I think he did say that his friend was giving the Dreamcast to him, not selling it (aside from the thread title). But if he really is buying it from his friend then I agree with you! :tomatoface:

The funny thing is, I have a dreamcast back from 2001-2. I've got a power cord, TV cables, VMU unit, 2 controlers, etc. But the thing is... the motor in the box itself shat itself from being on too long. :(

Can you two work something out? At least one of you can be happy in the end.

Ah, I think either the thread title is misleading or Toadofsky meant something else in his initial post, but just pointing out that I think he did say that his friend was giving the Dreamcast to him, not selling it (aside from the thread title). But if he really is buying it from his friend then I agree with you! :tomatoface:

Great, not only did I misspell "cord", I even got the title of my topic wrong.

Yeah, Coop, he's giving me the Dreamcast, he's not making me pay for it. So I think I'd come out alright with buying the other things for it. Like I said, he's sure that it works. One of his friends had given it to him, but forgot to give him the cords, and they somehow wound up in Evansville IN with one of my other friends....

Brasero maybe?

Well, only problem is that you're dealing with GD-rom, which unfortunately for you were burned on reverse mode...

Never heard of a disc-driver that could do this.

I'll check up on Brasero, I've read K3b can do it, but I'll probably have to do a ton of work with it.

I'll still try to buy the games legitimately though, even though it really doesn't make much difference with it.