Zelda - Majoras Mask (Submitted - Judges Version Uploaded)

Nubioso

So this is my first remix for this website. I've known about this site for quite some time, but didn't join for a while, then even after I did, I never really did anything =P

Anywho, this is the Call of the four giants from LoZ - Majoras Mask.

I noticed that there was only one remix for this game and personally I really liked this one.

One thing I must say though...is that currently I'm waiting for my girlfriend to lay down some Female Vox for "princess zelda" in the beginning of the song. So when you hear me speak at :56 and it seems to not really make sense at the moment, that's why...there's more "story" through the beginning that she'll sing. Unfortunately, she just got a soar throat a couple days ago =/

I realize it's just a tad bit short at the moment and I will be adding more, but as the section says, it's a WIP ;)

The song I chose to do is "Call of the Four Giants"

Remix: stats.png

Source: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Oath_To_Order.mid

UPDATE: 5/9

Version3(All Rap Vocals Finished)

stats.png

Version4 (All female vocals recorded!)

stats.png

Update 5/30

Judges Version

stats.png

Source (Four Giants): http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Oath_To_Order.mid

Source (Stone Tower): http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Stone_Tower_Temple_v3.mid

LYRICS:

ZELDA:

Link, oh please help me, and accept the, final task

Oh, won't you retrieve my most precious mask

From the falling moon you must rescue us

None to soon before we're all turned to the dust

Won't you please, won't you please, save the day

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LINK:

whaddya know, I gotta go...and call forth the giants numbers one through fo'

When I play my ocarina it's a blast to the past but I put on my Majoras Mask

handle the task and proceed down the path and let my aftermath

Prove I am worthy, though I won't hurt thee

Just wanna be the real me, until I get my hands on the force of 3, the holy trinity

Struggling against the forces in my darkest hour, I'm still reachin for, the Courage, Wisdom, and Power

Like to make a call, reachin all..........the four giants

::Narrator:: But the evil skull kid was up to his old tricks, and locked link in the Stone tower...

Even though I don't know which way to go, that won't slow.....meeeee

Doooooown , When I come through the front door, with my magic sword I'll strike a chord

in accordance with the parameters of my ordinance

I'll use to dispose of the darkness

But hark this, my arrows of light will continue the fight, between wrong and the right

despite your desire to smite me,

I can't accept defeat, a punk like you could never beat the omnipotent link

With the love of a princess in distress, is this the test?

You've messed with the best and ........oh you know the rest.

Lookin through the castle, Wanna know where the skull kid is

Wanna get the mask back and attract the love of my princess

Need a map and a compass and I got this

Admist the mist I get the jist,

but that kids on my list cause he's got me pissed

Cause never in my life, has link been dissed

Will the notes of my flute let the princess know of my presence

let the essence of my song persuade her to continue on and play along

BOOM, As I come in the main room

Ready for the show-down at high-noon

Got my fairy in a jar, keepin death afar

Hope you're ready and your skills on par

Doesn't even matter what you think you got plannin

I'll put you down like a dog, same as ganon

Cause the princess and me, will live happily

until the end of time and the holy jubilee

BUMP

So can I get some actual comments and critique on this please?

52 downloads and all I've got is "The vocals were a bit of a surprise because I didn't read first"

=/

Not a fan of vocals in songs where the source doesn't naturally have them. Nor is anyone I know. Quite a buzz kill imo.

Not a fan of vocals in songs where the source doesn't naturally have them. Nor is anyone I know. Quite a buzz kill imo.

Are you kidding? Pretty sure there's a dude who wrote entire song of vocals for a megaman song on here and all anyone can say to that is "OMG, AMAZING!"...

It's pretty stupid to say adding vocals is a buzzkill when pretty much 99% of the game music out there isn't going to have it in the first place. :?

Beyond that, pretty sure this is about remixing.....a combination of the source plus your own original material and nowhere is it stated EVER that vocals are something that should be shunned like you're making it out to be.

And not having the beginning vocals there shouldn't make any less possible to judge.....cause ya know....there is still all that music that's behind it that can be critiqued.

Yeah that comment was pretty closed minded and plus you don't speak for everyone here because I do like songs with vocals depending on how well it's done.

Anyways retarded comments aside:

This was pretty sweet. The style of the rapping reminds me of Del. Maybe it's my headphones, but the song got kinda scratchy like it was too loud or somethin but my headphones are brand new so I don't know what to say about that lol. And to me it seemed like the strings came in too loud. Couldn't understand that vocoded voice during the hook, you should make that more clearer or provide the lyrics for the song. That's all I really got to say because I'm a nub lol. But yeah keep workin on this man I would love to hear the finished version of this.

Oh yeah: Love the stutter you did on the choir voice, good shit lol.

I think the vocals are well done. Will the final piece be longer, if not, I think you should add another verse or extend what you have. I can't wait to hear the female vocal part.

Yes, the final piece will be longer, cause at the moment, it's just shy of being acceptable by their standards. I've got a couple ideas I'm working on as far as incorporating more into the song

"The style of the rapping reminds me of Del." - awesome that you mention that, because I thought the same thing too, I love deltron!

"Maybe it's my headphones, but the song got kinda scratchy like it was too loud or somethin but my headphones are brand new so I don't know what to say about that lol."

Hmmm, don't know, I've listened to it both on my headphones and my fostex monitors and wasn't really noticing any scratchiness, however, it could probably be due to the L3 limiter I threw on my master channel to just quickly give it a little compression overall. Mighta hit it too hard, but believe it or not, without the limiter, I mixed it pretty quietly, doesn't even come close to slamming my master fader.

"Couldn't understand that vocoded voice during the hook, you should make that more clearer or provide the lyrics for the song" - I figured that might be an issue to be honest and I will be providing lyrics when it's all completed.....guess I shoulda done it now but it says "Like to make a call, reachin all...." then the clear part says "The four giants"

Also regarding the strings, I think you're right about it being too loud, I've turned it down once, then brought it a little back up, and kept jacking with it, but I believe they do come in pretty hard.

Thank you both for actually taking the time to give me a real comment. I greatly appreciate it

Are you kidding? Pretty sure there's a dude who wrote entire song of vocals for a megaman song on here and all anyone can say to that is "OMG, AMAZING!"...

I'm assuming you mean either Dreams Come True or For You.

Beyond that, pretty sure this is about remixing.....a combination of the source plus your own original material and nowhere is it stated EVER that vocals are something that should be shunned like you're making it out to be.

And not having the beginning vocals there shouldn't make any less possible to judge.....cause ya know....there is still all that music that's behind it that can be critiqued.

Bravo for including lyrics! I'm an afficionado, seeing as my other musical skills are limited. And there are no opening lyrics in a number of excellent ReMixes (Prayer and No Hope leap to mind).

Okay onto the mix. Right of the bat, this is better quality than I expect from a WIP. The music is solid, firmly rooted in the source but very unique in its sound. Feels a little like zircon's or AeroZ's work in places, in my opinion.

Excellent rap. I love ReMixes with lyrics, especially when they relate to the game (a la Freedom of Zero, The Incredible Singing Robot, and Little Mac's Confession). Great rhythm and inflection.

The chorus is sweet. I agree with BlackPanther on the stuttering.

Forecast: Cloudy with a chance of awesome.

I'm assuming you mean either Dreams Come True or For You.

Yup, for you was the one I was talking about. (Which BTW, is an excellent song)

Okay onto the mix. Right of the bat, this is better quality than I expect from a WIP. The music is solid, firmly rooted in the source but very unique in its sound. Feels a little like zircon's or AeroZ's work in places, in my opinion.

Thank you! I like to use DSP as I write the parts. I think it makes me take longer on songs, opposed to just composing the whole thing, then going back through and mixing, EQ'ing, compressing, etc...

but maaan, I get OCD on it sometimes and I just feel like I need to EQ and compress right after I write a line just because for some reason, even if I've only created 10 seconds of a song, I want that 10 seconds to be the best quality possible =P

Funny you mention Zircon, because the first song I ever heard from this site, and the whole reason I found this website was because of Zircons Super mario world remix which is damned AMAZING in my opinion. I think it's just absolutely fantastic and I honestly have used it as a reference to the level of quality and skill I need to aspire to. The stuttering vocals being an example =P (however, if you hear the rest of my music, I'm kind of a stutter whore)

Again, thank you all for the real input, this is what I needed and was looking forward to. It's the reason I signed up to this place after seeing the community of musicians, composers, and artists and for a second there I was almost let down.

Now if I can just get my girl to stop coughing for 10 mins to lay down some vocals!

I didn't notice any scratching either. I think the strings are at just the right level, but that goes to personal preference. I find myself listening to it over and over.

I wonder how it would sound if the hook was done with female vocals and a little less effects on it.

I'm not usually a big fan of the shutter effect, however with this song I feel it fits rather nicely.

Funny you mention Zircon, because the first song I ever heard from this site, and the whole reason I found this website was because of Zircons Super mario world remix which is damned AMAZING in my opinion. I think it's just absolutely fantastic and I honestly have used it as a reference to the level of quality and skill I need to aspire to. The stuttering vocals being an example =P (however, if you hear the rest of my music, I'm kind of a stutter whore)

That is exactly the ReMix and reasoning I had in mind!

I wonder how it would sound if the hook was done with female vocals and a little less effects on it.

Funny you mention that, I had actually thought about the fact it might be better to have a female sing the "Like to make a call, reachin all..." part instead of having my vocals vocoded for it....mainly because it'd be easier to tell what she's saying more than likely....However, same reason the beginning vox aren't done, she hasn't been able to sing so that's why I haven't tried it.

HOWEVER!! Today!! We are going to attempt to get her some of her vocals down! (Right before we start FFX =P )

as for the strings level you mentioned...yeah, honestly, I've gone back and forth between thinking they were too loud or just right. Honestly, I may drop it by about 1db, 1.5 or something like that to perhaps take just a tiny little 'edge' off it.

• 2 weeks later...

Welll, my girl and I have both been lazy so no female vox yet, sorry :(

I worked on continuing the story and thus adding to my song. I used "Stoner Tower" also from Majoras Mask.

Once again in the efforts to have a kind of "story through song" theres some narration in the transition and I will be trying to lay some more rap-like vocals through the transition and on to the next part as well. To get the rest of the vocals will definitely take me some time, still haven't finished writing them!

Let me know how the 2nd part is I suppose and whether or not you think you can dig the idea of that transition.

(Its ok to be harsh, I fully expect most won't like the transition =P)

Thanks!

stats.png

Source (Four Giants): http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Oath_To_Order.mid

Source (Stone Tower): http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/n64/Stone_Tower_Temple_v3.mid

You went from "To get the rest of the vocals will definitely take me some time, still haven't finished writing them!" to "So literally, all I need is my female vocals and the recordings will be done" in one night?

Freaky.

You went from "To get the rest of the vocals will definitely take me some time, still haven't finished writing them!" to "So literally, all I need is my female vocals and the recordings will be done" in one night?

Freaky.

Yeah, I kind of just sat here for like.....6 or 7 hours, whatever the time between posts was and made them =P

Funny not everyone seem to notice that "scratching". There's definately some clipping.. it's not much.. but noticable in some passages.

Good luck with this. 1 thing though.. that intro voice.. I would rather hear it in the beginning against an ambient background or sumtin... Dunno why but i got reminded by Basil's (RIP) intro theme for Conan the Barbarian.

I'm really digging what you've layed out with this mix so far. I'm sure the final track with complete vocals and story will be pretty kickin'. Just a recommendation, but I'm totally feeling some DnB after the skull kid laughs and you finish off saying "stone tower". After the bass comes in and there's that nice filtered drum build-up, it would be a perfect moment start producing some tasty (and you can quote me on that) drum beats.